Close
One second...

IT'S UP: Nuclear Family (The Simpsons Challenge)

Hey,

I tried so much silly things to put more color into this, but more I look at it more I hate it. Before I give up to sub, I'll sub it as it is.

Thanks all for the help, you are the best!

Slide:

Symbol:

Color: (tried something with gradients)

On tee:

Thanks!

Watch this
TheInfamousBaka

It's really easy to tell what it is, go for it!

BeanePod

wow, that's pretty clever. it's kind of hard to get the lisa image compared to the rest but i think it's a nice approach to the challenge. specially since we are going to get flooded by tons of straight up character tracing and stuff.

personally i'd like to see where this goes :)

BeanePod

wait...i take it back, it's totally lisa/maggie.

i haven't watched that show in too long :)

SteveOramA
2 designs submitted - Score now!

yeah! awesome! i instantly got it. add colors. submit now! winner! exclamation points!

vectored_life

Damn! That is very clever! recognized it literally as soon as I looked at it, even the symbol!

goliath72

I think it's great

Ri7Li

oh yes! do it!

ivanrodero

Well done! :^)

littlem

i recognized it immediately!

abonifacio

That is pretty cool, looking forward to seeing the WIP!

hm087ster

Looks rad!

macdoodle

Very cool! The nuclear family!

OMG there's a Simpsons challenge??!

Bye.

Pyne

Brilliant!

Elma e Francis
macdoodle said:

Very cool! The nuclear family!

OMG there's a Simpsons challenge??!

Bye.

altair4444

Thanks a lot guys!

I've made little changes with the symbol and worked on the chimney (it's just the linework, will be refined and colored).

Am I pushing too hard by adding the chimney, should it be just the symbol? Which one would you prefer?

FoodStampDavis

I think I like it better without the cooling tower. It's instantly recognizable and don't think it needs the extra point-hammering.

This is a really great idea and great execution, either way. Great work!

Pyne

I prefer the symbol alone. It's sooo good.

quick-brown-fox
Pyne said:

I prefer the symbol alone. It's sooo good.

Haragos

symbol alone with cleaner lines

TheInfamousBaka

Yeah, the symbol by itself is so perfect it doesn't need anything else.

phraze

Really clever, I'm agree the symbol is strong enough on it's own and tbh I think works better without the chimney.

altair4444

Thanks guys! Just the symbol then.

btw. which bart hair would you prefer?

phraze

I think 2 I'm sure I remember seeing a Matt Groening interview where he did a "how to draw Bart" and he said he had nine spikes. So I say go with that!

vectored_life

Definitely version 2 for sure

SteveOramA

version 2 and maybe make his head longer so the symbol stays symmetrical.

thepapercut

Number 2 wins just by a nudge. Love the concept.

vectored_life

Just wanted to point out a little detail I noticed. Bart's hair doesn't flair in at the points, It's a straight line from the ear to the tip.

ozf5

clever, let's see it in color. I think the 2nd Bart hair is the one to go with.

altair4444

Thanks for the help!

Worked on coloring, tried a few things, 2 of them are in the post. What do you think?

Pyne

I like color option 1 for sure. Looks good on the shirt, too.

I'd kinda be curious to see it just as a yellow outine with no filler-

fourLTRS

I like the halftone it makes look like all atom-y and stuff, like it has power inside or something. Nice!

You should title it, "Nucular [sic] Family"! Geddit!?

PaolAllen

very nice concept, good job!

altair4444

Thanks to all a lot! I tried so much silly things to put more color into this, but more I look at it the more I hate it. Before I give up to sub, I'll sub it as it is.

@pyne: Thanks! You mean with flat colors? If so, it looks like a plate then :/

@fourLTRS: Thank you! I know about the "nucular" part, but I have no idea what "sic" means. Nucular Family would be a good one.

littlem

if you use Nucular Family, maybe put the nucular in quotes

Pyne

What I was curious about is just the line work alone, but in yellow (except for the eye, I guess). Most likely too plain, but your line work is so strong, I was curious just how minimalistic it could go.

It looks awesome as is. Super wearable too.

BeanePod

Man, that's all kinds of good

quick-brown-fox

I was wondering if you could make the black the same colour as the shirt. I think there's enough contrast there to try it.
It a great design and destined to do well!

Gums.

Or maybe with flat color with texture like this : on black ?!

altair4444

@littlem: Well, I didn't know it was a real word. Then "Nuclear Family" would be better I think. Thanks!

@Pyne: Oh, you said filler, I read it as filter and thought you were telling to remove the gradients. Not on blue but, It looks good on black. I tried it that way but I don't think it works as a single-colored line. Thanks though!

Thanks a lot BeanePod!

@qbf & Gums: Hum, these may work, thanks!

littlem

Haha, well, the real word is nuclear! But I thought you were referring to the George bush episode!

altair4444

Really? After you mentioned it, I asked to internet and internet said they're both real words. I can't trust internet anymore. lol

I haven't seen the episode I think but I remember the bit where Homer corrects the word "nuclear" to "nucular". I thought it was a simpsons joke, now I see it's more common.

littlem

oh hmm, maybe that wasn't in that GB episode. i don't remember, but yeah, homer simpson made it funny"nucular. it's pronounced, nucular. :)) . but a lot of people mispronounce it that way for some reason.

littlem

anywayyyy, this design is HOT HOT HOT! and i love it! :p

No account?