Close
One second...

When is the time that you can say I can't do this anymore?

What signs do you consider to say that you have to quit already? Any serious suggestions?

Watch this
melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

When you catch yourself dreading sitting down to work on a design.

Seriously though. I quit this stuff for between 2007 and 2012. Being creative puts a lot of pressure on your brain and it's easy to just burn out. I actually don't think I'll ever quit again, I'll just probably take a few years off again if it all gets to be too much.

Robo Rat
Robo Rat profile pic Alumni

I believe it's not a matter of quitting but taking a break once in a while. Thanks melmike.

melmike said:

When you catch yourself dreading sitting down to work on a design.

Seriously though. I quit this stuff for between 2007 and 2012. Being creative puts a lot of pressure on your brain and it's easy to just burn out. I actually don't think I'll ever quit again, I'll just probably take a few years off again if it all gets to be too much.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni

Take a break - everyone needs one in a while.

You've got a great style fit for threadless, I wouldn't quit

Chipmnk
jeffreyg said:

Word. Your stuff is super printable here.

Outlaw01

I come back around the time of the meet up for ~2 months. Then I break for 10 months. Threadless weighs heavy on my creative ability -- but breaks are the best way to handle "quitting".

A lot of the people here are too awesome to quit on.

Robo Rat

Thanks for the motivation Jeff Chipmnk and Outlaw01. It somehow lightens up my mind.

jeffreyg said:

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

oh, contest shirts?

hmmmmm - I guess when your perspective on it gets all jacked up and you wring your hands over quitting and time invested into contest tshirt sites- then it is def time to take a break

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

yes, it's a terrible thing to waste a true talent. If you're not enjoying it at the moment, take a break, and while you're doing that, in the back of your mind think of a way to make it fun again.

littlem

Yep, what they're^ saying! Don't beat yourself up about needing a break. Just hearing that it's completely normal is probably a relief for you. :) Anyway, you may find a lot if inspiration during your "hiatus" so keep a notepad handy. Take a deep breath and relax!

littlem

*of. Not 'if'.

Robo Rat

Still got plenty of ideas and design on the works though. But sometimes I feel like it's going nowhere that's why I'm asking for some advice. Thanks Isaboa and littlem.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

Hey Robo, I love your work so much and it would be a shame to see you leave. I understand it can be disheartening to have not landed a print so far and you sure as hell deserve one! But some of the most successful people on here didn't land their first prints until near the 100 mark or there after. Don't give up buddy, take a small break and use it to work on some of your own ideas and don't pressure yourself with the print aspect. Look at what you have and feel proud of yourself, your work is stylish, fun and original. Keep it up :-)

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

I agree I took a few months break and had time to not think about frustrating with threadless but came back determined and better ideas and was able to work with artists who respected my ideas

jeffreyg said:

azrael5

When you feel like quitting,take a break and do entirely different things.just shut the designing and thinking part,do something else that gets you joy.After a while, get back.

azrael5

whoa i just saw your fruit ninja design...hell you shun't quit!

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

what everybody said, pretty much. No shame in taking a break. Also consider just an attitude shift - work for the sake of work, with no expectations. Definitely easier said than done but it really helps, speaking from personal experience. I went a while subbing things and hoping so hard they ended up in print, when they don't I feel like a failure, although of course I know that is just plain silly, there are so many brilliant artists and the fact that you haven't hit the zeitgeist yet does not make you a bad artist. But the human psyche is a frail thing. So I took a break - also there was a baby and a day job and a bunch of other stuff that contributed - and now I'm back and I've never had more energy or enthusiasm for drawing. I'm trying to make each piece different from the last, to make sure I'm learning something with each one, to only work on ideas that I like as opposed to those I think the voters might like, and to send them in for voting and never look back. It's really working so far :)

Anyways whatever you choose to do just remember there are no bad decisions - whatever you decide is right for you at this time, and also you can always change your mind :) Good luck!

gebe
gebe profile pic Alumni

First of all, your style is perfect for t-shirts! And after that, everyone finds a personal limit once in a while. The thing that distinguishes the winner, is the desire to exceed the limit. The better life is full of obstacles. Don't you feel encouraged to go beyond?

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

^^ I agree with Gebe, keep pushing yourself to do better but also because we love what we do. Even though I have not been as successful as i may have wanted, I love the creative freedom to express myself to an audience of like minded people and that is what i enjoy about threadless the most. Prints are not even important to me anymore but the joy of getting better and doing something i have a passion for is worth it everyday :-)

A famous philosopher once said - " The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because the paint a lot."

Macklemore

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

there's that awesome webcomic about artistic striving that says the difference between the master and the novice is that the master has failed more times than the novice has even tried. That's sorta similar to mip's point I guess. Gotta keep on truckin :)

pijaczaj
pijaczaj profile pic Alumni

Whenever life knocks you down, just calmly get back up, smile, and then say, "You hit like a litttle bitch."

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Seriously, though, some great things have already been mentioned. Your style is very "Threadless" and I think you will print when you have a "winning" concept. Maybe take a break, but never give up.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

Definitely take a break whenever you start getting burnt out. Something else that helps is getting involved with the community challenges (remakes, duels, etc.) because you get to know your fellow Threadlessers better and it keeps you coming back. Otherwise I think I would have been taking a bit of a break myself. No denying that not getting a print gets frustrating and you start feeling like "What else could I be doing with my time?" Maybe try some other shirt sites? You have a very printable style. :-)

radreb

Robo Rat, i love your style and humor - your Scare Tactic among others should be printed - it makes no sense to me! I never got printed but I haven't put up nearly a fraction of my stuff., while others put up hundreds without being printed! What doesn't get printed here I just sell it elsewhere online, put it on t-shirts myself - and it sells. Your stuff will definitely sell too! You got it man! You have a great following here - take a deep breath and keep drawing! Do what you love. ~ Reb

Robo Rat

Thanks celandinestern, Thomas Orrow, gebe, mip1980, pijaczaj, Musarter, TheInfamousBaka, and radreb for the encouraging tips and opinions. I think trying a different approach and exerting beyond my capabilities will help as well. All your advice are very helpful.

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

take a break. try something different. try other websites! threadless isnt the be all and end all of t-shirts. even though it is the big daddy.

fourLTRS

I'm surprised you haven't been printed yet! Your stuff looks great.

I've felt like you, I guess. I just try new things; I even changed my username. I haven't even made as many things as you, but it's kind of a bummer to put effort into something that became nothing, or at least didn't serve the purpose of it's creation. I see it as experience, hence why I switch-up my work. Take a break if you'd like, do other stuff. But if you want to keep at it, don't play it safe, now would be a good time to experiment. Excite yourself!

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni

I'm taking a break for awhile but I will have something for the Thor Challenge. I'm not missing out on that!!!

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni

I've taken a few quick break here and there to focus on other things....yet I keep coming back here. I love seeing your designs/work if that's any means anything.

There are always other avenues to have your work printed though :) Some places would even love having your work there and tell you so...just sayin.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

You cant even think about quitting till you're printed at least once.

Later Alligator and Home Sweet Home are excellent.

Keep at it. You'll get one of those prized "Congrats!" emails in the near future.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni

oh...and OH...from Nathan's MADE video.....he said something to the effect of it taking over 100 designs before he got printed.

so....there's that

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

This kind of reminds me of how I used to play video games a LOT. Especially as a kid.

There would be a boss that I couldn't beat, a level I couldn't get through, and I would sit for hours trying to beat it. Over and over and over I failed. I made dumb mistakes and would get madder and madder. Eventually I realized that I had to STOP. I wanted to beat it so badly but I had to stop. But if I stopped that would make me a quitter. That's what I thought to myself. But you know what? I took a couple days off the game. Didn't think about it, didn't worry about it for a few days. When I was ready I sat down, turned on the sega genesis, and just did it. I beat it on the first try.

Don't look at it as "quitting". You're taking a break. Come back when you're ready.

Robo Rat

Thanks fourLTRS, dnice25, BeanePod, xiv, and JordanLBender. I believe quitting isn't the best solution and it will definitely get me nowhere, but stucked and unable to accomplish anything. I also love that advice from Nathan. Also, it's so motivating that the community is really here to help each other. Thanks everyone. Please support my upcoming designs.

Wolfgang8885

Yeah, sometimes you do feel like quitting but maybe you just need a break. I am on a break right now and hoping to be back soon. All of my submitted designs were done around the same time, and haven't worked on any since. I still sketch and get some ideas and I know I will be back shortly. You should just never quit. If you have the passion and were born with the drive to do this, then dont ever quit!

Robo Rat

Thanks Wolfgang8885. Also, with the help of the community, I was able to weigh things and figured out that continuously making designs will improve myself with or without getting printed.

Wolfgang8885 said:

Yeah, sometimes you do feel like quitting but maybe you just need a break. I am on a break right now and hoping to be back soon. All of my submitted designs were done around the same time, and haven't worked on any since. I still sketch and get some ideas and I know I will be back shortly. You should just never quit. If you have the passion and were born with the drive to do this, then dont ever quit!

nickv47
nickv47 profile pic Alumni

keep on keeping on man. you might get a print on here, but a strong body of work can work in your favor and land you freelance. someone will notice you if you keep at it.

Robo Rat

Thanks nickv47, I currently have one design up for scoring. Thanks to the community for the motivation.

No account?
Join Us