Close
One second...

Illustrator CS6. Thanks for the tips you guys.

I'm a total Illustrator noob with a question. I'm doing this thing for Diet Coke and it needs to be vector so I got CS6. I'm trying to convert my Photoshop CS5 file to vector but this weird thing is happening. My PS file loses detail when I "trace" it in Illustrator. Is there a quick tip you can offer?

Thanks!!!

Photoshop

IllustratorCS6: Notice the detail in the lettering on the bottle and the lips kind of bleed into the image?

Watch this
macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

I guess what I'm looking for is a somewhat simple way to just copy the PS file into Illustrator and have it be vector while maintaining the original detail...or is there a tool in Illustrator I can use to adjust the PS file lines?

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

In Photoshop:

File > Export > Paths to Illustrator

ivanrodero

Is your original PS file on vectors already?

If it is just select and copy the hole path in Phothoshop and then paste in Illustrator, if not the best way is to manually trace the hole thing back in Illustrator, it seems like an easy one to do so, so you could do it faster than you think.

ivanrodero

Or I also forgot.

Yo can make a mask with your line work in PS, then export that as a path and then open it in illustrator but I don't remember the procedure correctly and the result is not as tidy as it could, something on those lines...

ivanrodero

Or I also forgot.

Yo can make a mask with your line work in PS, then export that as a path and then open it in illustrator but I don't remember the procedure correctly and the result is not as tidy as it could, something on those lines...

macdoodle

Thanks guys!! I tried to export it and when I tried to open in Illustrator the image was blank? I feel so stupid with this!! I'm a PS user since day one so Illustrator is a whole new world to me.

I may give tracing it a go...

Thanks again!

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!

Just put a little butter on it....and some MAGIC!

macdoodle
BeanePod said:

Just put a little butter on it....and some MAGIC!

Do you think "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" would work?

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!

IT'S NOT THE SAME FABIO!!!

Twiggyhall

there's always the horny Country Crock couple

macdoodle
Twiggyhall said:

there's always the horny Country Crock couple

I asked them but they were too busy doin it to offer any tips :)

Twiggyhall

hahahaha yeah, the dude was too busy offering the chick HIS tip

hey-OHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

why dont you just import the linework and then color it in illustrator?

Abstract Matter

Illustrator CS6 has great tracing. You can alternate the amount of detail somehow and then bake the paths for editing if needed, I just forgot how. Look it up on Youtube

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
biotwist said:

why dont you just import the linework and then color it in illustrator?

This. Since the colors are flat and solid, it will only take a minute or two to bring them back.

macdoodle

Awesome, thanks so much guys. I'll give those ideas a go. I've also seen some great tutorials on Youtube but I figured I would pick your brains for some different takes on it.

Also Twiggy, you nasty ;)

Twiggyhall

Apparently, I'm the queen of all things such!

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

When you import into illustrator the paths are blank but all you have to do is add a stroke :-)

macdoodle

I "kind of" figured it out. I never realized how different Illustrator is from PS. The end results are soooo much cleaner than the best raster image though.

The image is for Diet Coke's "Young Designers Challenge 2".

Thanks again for the tips doods!! :D

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

Is that Carmen San Diego?

macdoodle

Haha. I just googled her and they do have similarities. Coke gave a look book to draw inspiration from and it developed from there.

No account?
Join Us