Anyone use adobe creative cloud? (also a ipad stylus)

Just read that they won't be releasing any more Creative Suites or upgrades from CS6 to the new cloud service. Personally not a fan of this idea, I'm lucky because I'm able to use the apps through my job.

From macrumors

Adobe has decided to focus its resources on Creative Cloud and will
not continue development on its Creative Suite software, reports The
Next Web. While Creative Suite 6 will continue to be supported in
regards to bug fixes, there will be no further updates and no Creative
Suite 7.

Instead, the company has today announced several Creative Cloud apps
at its Adobe MAX conference, including Photoshop CC, InDesign CC,
Illustrator CC, Dreamweaver CC, and Premiere Pro CC.

For creatives that rely on the company's upgrade paths, some will be
pleased to find that anyone with a CS 3 or later serial number will
get their first Creative Cloud year for $29.99 per month. For everyone
else, the complete version of Creative Cloud will set you back $49.99
per month, or you can purchase a single app license subscription for
$19.99 per month.

For teams, the same applies, but you'll pay $69.99 per month per user
or $39.99 if you've purchased CS 3 or later — added perks include
significantly more cloud storage. For students, CC will set you back
$19.99 per month for the complete version, and there is also now a
"Teams for Education" offering at $39.99 per month per user.

Watch this
nickv47
nickv47 profile pic Alumni

ug. seems like a nightmare. just trying to get as much money out of people as possible. what a joke.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Wow, I do not want to pay a yearly subscription for this. I'm still able to purchase the CS suites with a student discount, and that what I'd prefer to do--pick and choose what programs I want at a discounted price.

Then again, I'm still running CS2, and it works just fine. What am I missing out on?

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

They have systematically created a monopoly and now they can do whatever they want with the pricing; Everyone in the industry will have to pay eventually. Hopefully it will piss enough people off and more viable alternatives will be available in the near future.

Between Adobe and Mac, with there constant updates/needed purchases, it is a wonder that any designer can afford to keep designing. I guess this will get rid of the hobbyist and solidify the professional sector.

nickv47
nickv47 profile pic Alumni
Musarter said:

Between Adobe and Mac, with there constant updates/needed purchases, it is a wonder that any designer can afford to keep designing. I guess this will get rid of the hobbyist and solidify the professional sector.

interesting point. this will kill pirating of the newest version, but people will still pirate the older versions, and prob will more than ever.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I still haven't felt the need to go from CS5 to CS6 so I doubt Adobe will get more money from me soon.

Musarter
Morkki said:

I still haven't felt the need to go from CS5 to CS6 so I doubt Adobe will get more money from me soon.

I am still in CS4. I was pretty mad when Adobe decided, without warning, that with CS6 you would need CS5 to upgrade. Prior to CS6 you could be two versions behind and still upgrade to the newest version. Greedy bastards keep stooping lower.

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

The world is a changin'

taz-pie

I have to decide this week whether to cough up the bucks for CS6, or if I should just go cloud. WHAT SHOULD I DO GUISE?!1

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

On a lighter note, I just read that they're bringing out a pressure sensitive stylus for iPad, something apple should've done a while ago imo. Along with this, there's a ruler, controller doodad.

quick-brown-fox

Alongside new Creative Cloud software, Adobe today announced two new cloud-enabled hardware offerings: the "Project Mighty" stylus and the "Napoleon" guide and ruler.

The Mighty is a pressure sensitive stylus that connects to the iPad via Bluetooth to allow digital artists to create line drawings with variable widths based on pressure. According to TechCrunch, the pen is able to store a number of preferences and settings, including color palette themes, brushes, and assets saved in a cloud clipboard.

Morkki

The stylus looks kinda cool, but it feels totally unnecessary to store such things as preferences and settings in a cloud when you could just store them in the goddamn device. It's not like flash memory is suddenly hideously expensive. Adobe has such an awkward boner for clouds.

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

I haven't seen any articles relating to that ipad stylus in the photo above.. Honestly I bought the ipad to draw and it sucks.. I plan on trading it out for a surface pro eventually. Or maybe the tablet Wacom had been hinting they'll release this year.

As for adobe I think monthly is good but only as a option. Forcing people to buy seems asinine. Let people who want to buy buy..

Wolfgang8885

Yeah the monthly thing seems kind of sucky but I have CS6 so Im safe lol.

Goldendust

I'm in the same boat as Morkki, running CS5. This is going to screw with IT guys worldwide - you need to be running Windows 7 or 8, or Mac OSX v 10.7 or 10.8, which means a bunch of companies will have to update their operating systems or hardware just to be able to run it...

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

I am one of those saps that has the cloud, Its ok but nothing to shout about. My membership price has now dropped because i have completed a year, it dropped from £46 a month to £32 which is okay, its not like i go out drinking or anything so £29 is nothing really.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

I am one of those saps that has the cloud, Its ok but nothing to shout about. My membership price has now dropped because i have completed a year, it dropped from £46 a month to £32 which is okay, its not like i go out drinking or anything so £32 is nothing really.

Morkki

Actually I'm only really bothered about the fact that Adobe can charge just about whatever they want and if you can't pay your software stops working. I really don't trust them to put their customers before their shareholders.

The good thing is that installing CC won't affect the CS6 you already have installed so if you decide you don't need what the cloud has to offer you can always fall back on CS6. I don't think it will become obsolete for years, at least not until whatever comes after Windows 8 and OSX.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

Looks like I'll be updating from 4 to 6 sometime soon. I hate this cloud bullshit.

quick-brown-fox

It's almost like they're treating it like a phone app. We were talking about it at work, and someone suggested it would be okay if they did a CC basic package with photoshop, indesign & illustrator for £20, but maybe one month you need after effects, so pay an extra £5 for that month.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

Yeah, I am not too happy. I was checking out the numbers, and at the rate they come out with new versions, you would be paying about the same amount per month if you expect to instantly upgrade, but the thing is, not many of us actually will do that, because of the darn cost. Having the basics for a smaller fee, and then paying $5 or so more that month for AE and then not getting it after your project is done/ etc is a bad solution to me because it completely discourages experimentation and continued learning. You're not going to pay for something you dont know for sure you need, and so why would you open it up and try something new? Like others said as well its going to "kill the hobbyist" and solidify the professional, but there are a lot of professionals that are already scraping to get by. Goodbye to them as well.

As one of the few Fireworks users I am double sad...

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

I'm sure this is their attempt to combat piracy. Guess I'll be using CS6 for a while. Maybe in light of this, we'll see some of their competitors step up their game to compete with their cloud service.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

i've been using CC since the start of the year and I love it. It's got a lot of great features that connects your files on multiple machines, which is a plus for me because i work on both mac and windows, and my previous cs5.5 can only work on one platform. with CC it let me install on both machines.

I think CC is the future

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

also, the price isn't too bad in my opinion. But i can see how it can be a stress on designers with a tight budget. but it's also better for those people because they're not out $700 all at once, it's sort of like a payment plan system now

Musarter

I thought the initial $29.99 a month was great and reasonable but $49.99 a month is a bit steep. I worry is that in a year it will be $59.99 and $69.99 the following year. They can and will do anything they want with their monopoly; they have already solidly proven that.

Morkki

Yeah, that's my main concern. When you bought CS you knew what it cost and that was that. With CC the cost can be anything really, it's all up to Adobe. It's like being stuck with a landlord who has no obligations to keep the rent reasonable.

No account?
Join Us