Close
One second...

HULK 'STACHE! - rejected - redesigned - up for scoring!

Update 2
I redesigned my rejected sub, sans mustache. Its up for voting now, check it out!
HULK

And what it became...

UPDATE - marvel rejected hulk stache. It's a sad day for mustaches everywhere . Now I need to figure out what to do with this sucker.

I'm working on a design for the Hulk contest. Any thoughts on this so far? I'm probably going to include the words HULK STACHE as an option, I know a lot of people have an aversion to tee's with text. Thanks for any help!

OH and its sort of a parody on HULK SMASH... hopefully thats obvious.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Wolfgang8885

I dont think it will be approved. Ive read some other threads where people get declined because their Hulk design has a mustache or monocle, and Marvel seems to be very strict on their vision of Hulk. Great concept and would work well with "HULK 'Stache!" As a title, but sadly, I doubt they will let it go through... :(

bennyd302
bennyd302 profile pic Alumni

well thats a bummer.... now I need to find a way to make this work without the stache. Thanks for the help!

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

LOL....that is truly awesome. Makes me wonder what he'd look like with a milk stache :)

Wolfgang8885

Since its pretty much done, why not try and submit it? Id say ad the text in there below him and if they approve it awesome! If they dont, just remove the mustache and text and you still have a cool illustration. You can then maybe just add fists and the text saying Hulk Smash!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Make it into a milk mustache and put "Got Hulk" in hulky lettering. The "Got Milk" thing is so over done and old at this point that it would actually be funny.

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

hahaa

bennyd302

ha! great suggestions. I may submit two versions, mustache and non-mustache. Anyone know if theres a member of threadstaff that can let me know before I submit?

Twiggyhall

this is AWESOME

BeanePod
1 design submitted -
Twiggyhall said:

this is AWESOME

OMG...You're slipping. How'd I beat you to anything stache?

Twiggyhall

Dang, I dunno, but I'd better get myself a new stache decoder ring because my current one clearly ain't working no mores

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff
bennyd302 said:

ha! great suggestions. I may submit two versions, mustache and non-mustache. Anyone know if theres a member of threadstaff that can let me know before I submit?

all of them go through marvel first and then dan

bennyd302

Thanks Jeff! I sent it to Dan, we shall see.

nickv47
nickv47 profile pic Alumni

it's like a green Haggar!

bennyd302

I didn't know who that was, and then I googled it..... you are correct sir.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

yeah, I too got declined on account that my Hulk had a bow-tie... looks like they're keeping their Hulks strictly cannon on this one.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

LOVE this btw... if it gets up, you've got my 5.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Great illustration. I hope it passes submission with the 'stache. It'd be just another generic, well-done design without it.

bennyd302

yea, not sure what I will do with it if its rejected... need to spice it up somehow.

dandingeroz
dandingeroz profile pic Alumni

this so awesome!

ibeenthere

LOL this is very funny! It's amazing how the mustachio changes his total look!:)

bennyd302

Hulk stache rejected :(

BeanePod
1 design submitted -

That'll teach you to try and create something original and awesome Mr. Fancypants.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

man, that's lame... I say keep the stache and stache it away somewhere.

Wolfgang8885

Well we kinda knew it would be. Is the hulk contest still open? If it is, take off the stache and just throw some fists in there lol

JIMDAHOUSECAT
JIMDAHOUSECAT profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

:( it's a great design as well

bennyd302

thanks guys... its a bummer indeed. I have till tonight to submit sans-mustache. Need to come up with a way of making it different tho. Who knew the Hulk could be so sensitive?

BeanePod
1 design submitted -

EMO HULK!!

BeanePod
1 design submitted -

Though they'd surely hate that too :(

Kilowog

My design was rejected too. Mine was done similarly to yours in the way that it was a play on words. The response I got was it's, "not our Hulk." Wow. Thanks for the detailed response. I'll take that into consideration next time I think I'm clear on the submission rules.

The thing I don't understand is that there are designs that were accepted which were very much in the same vein as our designs. Ideas that really don't have a lot to do with the Hulk or are a parody of sorts. There were also accepted submissions that directly neglected the clearly stated rules. I saw several designs which were not inspired by comics but by TV or movies, Hulk as a child/baby, and artwork that was not original work. All of those were directly against the stated rules on the submission page.

I guess Threadless has an unspoken, unwritten pick-and-choose policy. The rules only apply to those they decide it should apply to. I actually asked them for a more detailed reason so that I could be clear on the rules and so that I could use that knowledge to tweak my design for re-submission (too late for that now) or to use that information for future contests. I'm not holding my breath.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Kilowog said:

I guess Threadless has an unspoken, unwritten pick-and-choose policy. The rules only apply to those they decide it should apply to. I actually asked them for a more detailed reason so that I could be clear on the rules and so that I could use that knowledge to tweak my design for re-submission (too late for that now) or to use that information for future contests. I'm not holding my breath.

Don't blame Threadless... blame Marvel.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Kilowog said:

I guess Threadless has an unspoken, unwritten pick-and-choose policy. The rules only apply to those they decide it should apply to.

Or they could just have several hundred of these to get through in a couple if days and accidentally let things through because they're human.

BeanePod
1 design submitted -

They're.....human?

thesimplyshit

wow!! that's something special >.<

Kilowog

@Morkki - Could very well be. Either way, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

@digsy - Could very well be too. They can see any design however they want and can swing their decision on it however they want. But the ones that are clearly against the rules?

Personally, I don't think it's a matter of things slipping by them. I sent them a polite e-mail asking for a reason more detailed than, "it's not our Hulk" and explained they have accepted designs very similar. They responded with another answer that just contradicted itself in the sense that other designs were made in a similar vein. All I wanted was a clarification on the rules so that I may re-submit a tweaked design or something else entirely. They just bothered to not even answer it. Again, that doesn't seem like something slipping by.

I counted over 2 dozen designs that were in violation of the rules or had just as little to do with the Hulk as mine apparently did before I stopped counting. If that's just stuff getting by then someone/some people are not doing their job very well.

If my art isn't up to snuff, that's dandy. I never claimed to be a great artist. I can deal with someone telling me my stuff needs work. But that was not the issue. It's just disappointing to miss out on something for reasons that aren't clear and seem unfair, especially when some submissions were neglecting to even follow the rules. It kind of makes it hard to understand what exactly can and can't be done.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I love how he looks like an old timey muscle man from old school carnival side shows.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
Morkki said:
Kilowog said:

With the design challenges, like Hulk, you are essentially working with an established brand. If Marvel feels their brand has been over adulterated, or changed, they will not accept the art. It kind of saps creativity and gets rid of some of the truly interesting ideas, in my opinion. That is why I am reluctant to sub for these challenges.

k-mano

How lovely!

Dan Yingling
Musarter said:
Morkki said:
Kilowog said:

With the design challenges, like Hulk, you are essentially working with an established brand. If Marvel feels their brand has been over adulterated, or changed, they will not accept the art. It kind of saps creativity and gets rid of some of the truly interesting ideas, in my opinion. That is why I am reluctant to sub for these challenges.

For Marvel Challenges the Marvel team reviews all submissions before we are able to approve the designs. Unfortunately due to the high amount of submissions for these challenges they often leave short and to the point reasoning for declining a submission.

@kilowog I did send you an email yesterday regarding your submission which I hope you received

bennyd302

You cant blame threadless here, its marvel. Dan was very helpful in finding out if marvel would reject before I posted. Pretty lame that marvel can't have more of a sense of humor here... but what can you do.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

It sucks that Marvel can't just give detailed guidelines from the start on what they will and won't accept and then stick to those.

bennyd302

This is what it became... not what I was hoping for, but best I could do on a last minute change-up.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Great way to make use of the rejected concept. I'm surprised I missed the "Final Fight" reference earlier. For some reason I read, "Hagrid" instead of "Haggar", but I digress.

This is probably what Marvel is looking for, unfortunately, it lacks the charm of your intended design. I know. I'm preaching to the choir.

bennyd302

Completely agree duder.

Check it out up for scoring! HULK

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Still came out great

bennyd302

thanks!

BeanePod
1 design submitted -

i miss the stache...but this is still f'n awesome :)

Wolfgang8885

I have cried over the 'stache! But this is still awesome clean and simple. Nice turnaround!

bennyd302

thanks dudes... yea i would have much rather gone with the stache... damn you stan lee and your hatred for facial hair!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?