Close
One second...

How much of your income do you spend on rent?

I know not things of the Real World™

Watch this
olie!
olie! profile pic Alumni

This blog is relevant to my interests.

I'm hoboing around the world at the moment, but when I come back I'm really hoping to room with a good friend for $400 a month. I have no idea if this is cheap or expensive, because I'm also oblivious about the Real World™

Steve The Great

Geeze, I can't imagine an apartment as cheap as $400 around here. Good ol' government bubble.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

Rent here in London is typically £1,056 a month on an average figure handed out in the news yesterday but then again this country is on the fast track to self destruction with its rising costs of living. Its the reason why i can't live there, that is almost two thirds of my salary before i have even thought about food, bills etc etc.

As is i have to travel into work at vast expense also.....man i hate it here

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

Mine would about 50% my income. However I do have a husband and we have a roomate get some rent from. But then LA and OC is expensive

amaara

I live with my parents in Trinidad currently, but when I lived in Barbados I paid $325 USD a month I had a roomie, so technically 650 US for a 2 bdr, 1 bath

and then elec,phone,internet which doubles that

since I don't work, thats abt 1/10th of my mothers salary lol (minus utilities)

tragos

300%

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Every major city in Australia is within the top 20 highest cost of living ranked cities in the world. Better than Norway & Switzerland, but worse than the UK, which first makes an appearance with Bristol in at 27th. Funnily enough, a US city doesn't come onto the list until Washington D.C. at 65th, and only has 4 others in the top 100.

I say it's funny coz all I hear about is how much of a recession the US is in, but when you look at the figures, they have such comparatively low living costs. All we hear about in Australia is how we dodged the GFC, but the price of living has skyrocketed here over the last 5 years. I don't get it, but I'm not an economist, I'm just a schlub trying to make ends meet.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

Rent would be 50 percent of my income but I split it with my girlfriend to make it 25 percent. The main pain for me is my student loans (20 percent of my income) THANKS OBAMA ;)

moosabman

Oh and rent is 850 here in round rock. This is extraordinary for the area. The guy that lived here before took a sledge hammer to the place so they renovated it and lowered the rent in order to bring in more applicants to choose a responsible tennant. I got super lucky.

moosabman

Wow Kim, that's crazy. Are the salaries any higher to compensate?

hershel
tragos said:

300%

almost the same. Sometimes I would appreciate if we would all start to jump from tree to tree again. Seriously.

Poeha
Poeha profile pic Alumni

I pay 587.35 dollar rent. And my income is 874.50 dollars.

So that's around 70 procent. Needless to say I can't get by.

I have 22 dollars per week left to buy food, clothes etc.

Unfortunatly you can't just move to another house here, If I want a cheaper house I have to stand in line for it for 8 years.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I don't pay rent anymore but when I did it was about one third of my income. Except when I was studying or unemployed, that's when my rent was about 101% of my income.

kimkong1014
kimkong1014 profile pic Alumni

moosabman, salary is quite okay. they have standard in terms of salary here, no matter what work you do you almost have the same wage. The problem is they don't allow part-times if you get caught sure they will send you back home and ban for working again. Lucky me i can do freelance some time, that's different. Though food is also expensive here than other countries i guess. But that's okay, no easy life anyways. :-D Just have fun guys, i assume all of us love our work here in the field of Arts. . .

tragos

My rent's around $600 & the location is awesome. I can walk to so many things. But I do have 3 roommates. You'd have to be loaded to live here on your own.

working a minimum wage part-time while I finish school = negative dollars. But Boston's great and not always super expensive, do recommend.

Poeha
Poeha profile pic Alumni

Kimkong1014, they don't alow part-time working? Why? And where are you from?

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

We're looking at places right now and they're ranging from 800 to over 1000. 800 if it's ghetto though. I don't make enough money to even cover half of that. :(

jmeasplssss

10% of my yearly income (post-tax) goes toward rent.

tragos

where you @ Jordan?

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

Auckland, New Zealand is terrible in regards to rents and homing. ..living anywhere near the city that isn't a completely rat hole is about $400-$700 per week. My rent is currently $2,200 a month, ..it includes the rent and water(Auckland also charges to supply water to your house)

ImAGoldenGod

We bought a foreclosed house about 4 years ago. It was built in the 70s so the aesthetic is horrible but everything structural is new and we've been making it pretty over the years. With taxes and insurance, it's only about 18% of our combined incomes. Owning is so much cheaper here but it's saving for the down payment of a house that sucks!

WarDrobeInSpareOom

It's probably around 50%-60% here in Philly. In Tennessee, it was 25%-30%.

Sometimes I miss living in Tennessee.

Wolfgang8885

Luckily, I only pay 100 in rent because I love with grams :) I dont think I would be able to make it on my own as I have student loans which is 15% of my income and other expenses. I am in hot arse Arizona...

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

i pay about 1500$/mo for rent plus utilities... about 40% of my income

canceromega

I rent out a small 2br house with my boyfriend in central Austin for $1175. Rent keeps going up here though because Austin has like a 99% occupancy rate or something, and people keep moving here. Moving is a huge pain.

Poeha
Poeha profile pic Alumni

This post makes it really easy to decide who I am going to marry on threadless.

jet approves

About 30% after taxes, including utilities.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Tennessee's cost of living is very affordable. 25-30%

BubbleHezza
BubbleHezza profile pic Alumni

£650 per month + Ctax £120 so about $1170

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Cost of living is pretty cheap where I live but wages are extremely depressed. My rent is 40% of my income.

dhendy
dhendy profile pic Staff

It's smart to keep your rent costs below 30% of your total income. Beyond 35% is not ideal.

kimkong1014
kimkong1014 profile pic Alumni

Poeha, i'm from Philippines. Nope, they don't allow foreign workers to do part-time jobs not unless you apply for citizenship here. But Singapore is a Great place so somehow i enjoy it here.

Jordan_Bender
tragos said:

where you @ Jordan?

Plano (dfw area) of Texas. We at LEAST need a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom. Sadly, most of the apartments around here require you to make 3x (or more) the rent just if you want to live there. That doesn't make sense to me. If we WERE making 3x the rent a month, it would come to about $3000. Why, then, would we choose an apartment over a house?

If you were single, and you only needed a studio or 1 bedroom apartment, that would be around $600 around here. Times that by 3 and that's $1800. I can't think of anyone my age that makes that much a month. How do these places get any business??

tragos

It's nearly impossible to get a studio in the Boston area for under $1000. Gotta have roommates.

Agreed on how ridiculous it is to secure a lease initially.

Jordan_Bender

Don't even get me started. Time Warner Cable has monopolized the entire area and it's a dealbreaker if an apartment only carries it. This one place we looked at, every apartment was wired for basic cable and you HAD to pay for it. Even if you didn't own a TV and you couldn't even watch, you'd be paying $70 a month.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni

$432 a month (converted from pounds) so 3 Threadless wins a year pretty much covers my rent and makes freelance life super chill

Twiggyhall

I think our rent is about 31% of our income. Seattle is not cheap, especially living in city. It helps that we both work full time, recently paid off our credit card debt in full and have no kids.

[+duracell-]

i just get by on my looks o___o

Wolfgang8885

I would love to live on my own, but I just cannot do it with all the stuff i have to pay each month. Will be paying off my car soon so that should free up about $300 a month! :)

Jordan_Bender

Luckily we don't have any credit card debt and we own both our vehicles. Unfortunately it's the shitty jobs that are holding us back. Not enough to support 4 people. I half heartedly want him to go back into the military LOL jk. that sucked.

No account?
Join Us