Close
One second...

Will anyone help a newbie?

Watch this
hershel

requesting a critique seems to be a bit late when your design is already up for scoring... ;-)

I like the idea of displaying duality by sun/moon-day/night...

I do not fancy the (assumingly) used photoshop filter on the dayside, looks a bit smudgy...

Also, I think it would be nicer, if the whole graphic that is inside, would be embedded into yin yang by its shapes...I mean: if the clouds for example give the look of that white yin part by its cloudy shapes, it could look better in general...because it looks like a cut out view right now to me...as if you are looking through a frame or a window...so I feel like these both parts just stand for themselves, on their own, giving those clouds this "wormy" shape of yin, maybe fading a bit into dark in the middle...and I think it possibly could show a bit more that these parts are connected to each other, somehow...

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

I agree about the Photoshop filter, it makes the 'day' part of the design look kind of dirty instead of fresh and pretty. The idea is nice but the execution could be more pleasing to the eye. Good luck!

VVVarun

Thank you so much. I know im being a hypocrite by sending my design up for scoring first but just wasn't thinking clearly before. I did apply Photoshop filters on the day part because you couldn't see the sun clearly without it. But I really really like your idea of removing the borders and implying that its a ying yang with the help of clouds. Anyone who wants to see the new version should check back in a few days

Abstract Matter

Did you source the photographs yourself?

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni
Abstract Matter said:

Did you source the photographs yourself?

Hard to get a picture of Earth from space yourself unless you own a satellite. Nasa has a bunch of creative commons images, so I'm assuming they were taken from there?

concept overall is nice, but like the others have said the execution could be better. Moon could be a lot brighter so that it stands as the "eye" on the night side more.

VVVarun

The night sky is painted. I took the say sky photo myself a long time ago. I thought it came out nice so I saved it all this time. The moon is just something I pulled out of Google images

VVVarun

Oops. "day sky"

Abstract Matter

I wouldn't advise pulling straight from Google. You're likely to pick up something that you can't legally use.

Hard to get a picture of Earth from space yourself unless you own a satellite. Nasa has a bunch of creative commons images, so I'm assuming they were taken from there?

Always a good idea to use sources like this other than Google. As you're taking them straight from the owner who has made it clear that they're free to use.

VVVarun

Yes. I double checked that its free for commercial use

johnnysPeter

Free for commercial use or not, i think its somewhat cheap to use others pics or photographs. Kind of an insult/slap in the face to us artists who actually make designs from scratch.

VVVarun

I did create it from scratch. The only thing that came from the internet is the moon and that is after I made sure I that i was free to do it. Nothing cheap in using what is provided to us. Besides, its mighty hard to paint a realistic moon. But, I understand where you're coming from. A lot of people out there are making a living ripping off obscure works of art.

Abstract Matter

its mighty hard to paint a realistic moon

It's not supposed to be bloody easy hahahaha

VVVarun

I've tried many times, but about one hour in, i lose interest in painting the moon. Try and look at the it objectively- a big white blob of paint with lots of holes. Doesn't exactly grip your attention does it? Now, if it was a samurai astronaut fighting a t-rex on the moon....

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

So many people on here have used Creative Commons images, especially pictures of space, in their subs. Don't worry about that.

taz-pie

this isn't some tacky rennaissance fair. i persoanlly would NEVER buy a lame yin-yang shirt. it is one tiny step away from tie-dye hippy shit/

VVVarun

taz-pie, I agree. Redrawing the design as I type. Like the no-bullshit approach

hershel
taz-pie said:

this isn't some tacky rennaissance fair. i persoanlly would NEVER buy a lame yin-yang shirt. it is one tiny step away from tie-dye hippy shit/

^ now you have some real yin yang in here.

I feel myself forced to add now that I would not wear it by myself neither. And I thought that this was not your request.

But knowing about doing it wrong now might help you to do it right another time. good luck

No account?
Join Us