Close
One second...

Catching Up With The Social Media Times (a wall of text by steven lefcourt)

tl;dr version at bottom

So I recently realized just how important things like twitter and facebook have become. Granted, I understand how "big" they have become, but it wasn't until I got my like 20th "artist page like invite" that I started thinking about social media and its effects on consumerism- specifically freelance artistry in my case- and how as entrepreneurs, we really need to get with the times and utilize these new tools.

For a while I thought these things would be phases, but as the 2nd internet boom settles down into a semi-cohesive atmosphere certain sites have come out as clear, long-term winners. People don't want to constantly switch to new social media sites. They like new ones that cover new or different or specific things, but they don't replace what they have. Too hard to get all your friends to move with you. Facebook and twitter have legs. They will last a while (while acknowledging the possibility of extreme circumstances). So it's time to put down roots, and start engaging and building a fan/friend/follower base.

I used to fear the sort of idea of a person selling themselves through social media to friends, family and strangers alike, but honestly, it's how it's always been. People have been standing on street-corners, up on boxes for hundreds, if not thousands of years, trying to make a living, and get the needed attention to do so. At least tweets are quiet.

So I look forward to seeing and not hearing you on the twitterverse or the facebookscape, and I hope you'll check me out too. Post your links for me to see.

tl;dr? Twitter and facebook are important for artists. I need to stop denying it and utilize them. Post links for me to check your pages out and follow you, and feel free to check out mine Steven Lefcourt Art @ Facebook and Me @Twitters

Watch this
valorandvellum
valorandvellum profile pic Alumni

You should probably have a tumblr too.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

liked your facebook page!

hershel

Good morning, sir

Your thoughts are interesting. I pretty much feel he same about this...reading your wall of text might help me to stop being a social media grinch, possibly...

StevenLefcourt
hershel said:

Good morning, sir

Your thoughts are interesting. I pretty much feel he same about this...reading your wall of text might help me to stop being a social media grinch, possibly...

Glad you agree. It's a tough thing to come to grips with. I still struggle with it, every post I make.

Anyone have any artist pages for me to like/check out?

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

I had the same epiphany so I started a Facebook page and even spent a little on advertising it, in the hope that it might increase sales on my linked society6 page. I got a boatload of "likes" but little else. I saw zero increase in sales on society6 (possibly a decrease) so I'm extremely skeptical about the utility of social media sites.

It's very easy to "like" something, but it's essentially a meaningless act. It's like slactivism vs real protest in the streets.

With that said, I'll go like your page.

StevenLefcourt

I think its a viable tool to spread the word and engage your audience in a dialogue. As far as the consumerism aspect, well, with art, I think its hard to generate sales from fans, but there are a lot of variables involved in understanding your sales and the impact social media has on it. For instance, what if your sales would actually have dwindled faster without social media? Maybe there's a lull, but its not AS bad because you've been trying to market yourself.

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I set up all of my social media profiles years ago and haven't really put forth much effort or time into them until recently. They really are valuable (and free) assets that every artist should utilize to maximize potential exposure, among other things.

I just liked and/or followed yours. Here's mine: Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Good morning - I'm trying to learn how to be social online. Liked your page here is mine. facebook I haven't really got the hang of twitter and tumblr and pinterest and stumble upon and punch of others that seem to be popular. Can't really do everything, but because they are important part of life today I'll start with facebook.

StevenLefcourt

thanks for chiming in, and I checked out your pages, and liked and followed stuff

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I have been hesitant about making a "professional" page on Facebook. I don't really like FB, in fact I often hate it but mostly it just feels weird to have social contacts and advertising in the same place, even if they were separated into a regular FB profile and an artist page. But it would possibly be the most effective site for gaining exposure. I like Tumblr and I post regularly there but haven't really made a breakthrough yet. But from my limited experience, it seems that reblogs and likes rarely translate to anything else. Most people just look at the pretty pictures and don't follow any links.

hershel
StevenLefcourt said:
hershel said:

Good morning, sir

Glad you agree. It's a tough thing to come to grips with. I still struggle with it, every post I make.

Anyone have any artist pages for me to like/check out?

Mainly I just struggle with the communication itself on social media sites...I find it just a bit odd in general, trying to talk to someone without having any impression of voice or mimic...it seems to be programmed that you are going to be misunderstood in most of the cases if you are trying to say smth instead of just posting your last shopping list...it is a general, somehow superficail site, not like this place here for example where people come together because they have some kind of common interests right from the start....therefore, I think fb sucks for me most of the times and I can hardly see any true social benefit in there except posting your stuff if you´re doing stuff and maybe find someone is going to offer more than a ´like´...

as morkki is pointing it out...I also still have my doubts about the professional pages if these really give any benefit or if they are maybe just another waste of time...but least you have a free spot more where you can stand on the box, so why not....?

I don´t think anybody is going to hate you for that....there is only that like button..;-)

StevenLefcourt
Morkki said:

I have been hesitant about making a "professional" page on Facebook. I don't really like FB, in fact I often hate it but mostly it just feels weird to have social contacts and advertising in the same place, even if they were separated into a regular FB profile and an artist page. But it would possibly be the most effective site for gaining exposure. I like Tumblr and I post regularly there but haven't really made a breakthrough yet. But from my limited experience, it seems that reblogs and likes rarely translate to anything else. Most people just look at the pretty pictures and don't follow any links.

Isn't that what you want for your art? For lots of people to look at your pictures?

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Yeah... but I'd also like them to vote for my subs. And that's something I don't think I'm getting from Tumblr.

StevenLefcourt

I find tumblr to be the least involving. I've had 1000's of notes/likes/reblogs on designs that brought in probably 10 extra votes, but I have seen people with large facebook followings get 100s...I think it takes time, and you need a regular following of a large enough pool of people.

No account?
Join Us