Close
One second...

noob question: do people vote "1"s for fun or just to be mean?

hiya, being someone who registered a year ago to buy a couple of shirts and haven't been back since; I only submitted my first last week, this new voting system and layout with all the flash is kind of disorienting >_>

so please forgive the noob question: why do even the most stellar submissions get loads of "1"s?

Magic Bacon Ride and Jam Session for example, are well executed, superbly adorable and very in keeping with the Threadless style, how can they have so many 1's? I can see how some people might not like the idea (vegetarians? vegans? anyone who doesn't eat meat? can't think of anyone else...and who doesn't like jam?), but voting it down so low because of that would a little...severe...

is there a lot of trolling here on threadless? am i posting in the right forum category? >_>;;;

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Jam session score pretty high at 3.49 with 41 '1's. There are always people that are either resentful or think that down voting others work will some how propel their pap to stardom. You just have to shrug the aholes off and move along.

teatimegeek
teatimegeek profile pic Alumni

oooooo ok. looks like i've no grasp at all on what's a high score >_>;;;

johnnysPeter

Some people are jealous and dishonest. They think that voting a one for someones else and their GREAT design will bring it down a peg and will give themselves a better chance.

teatimegeek

wuuahhh that doesn't work right? crap is crap and good design is good design? won't that come back to bite them in the butt? since the average score given by someone is public... how much does the score even weigh-in to whether a design gets printed or not?

and does the "finished scoring" cache ever gets cleared up? seem to have submissions from july 2012 =_= or will they just forever stay there :P

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

Jam session score pretty high at 3.49 with 41 '1's. There are always people that are either resentful or think that down voting others work will some how propel their pap to stardom. You just have to shrug the aholes off and move along.

this just about sums it up.

cuyoxpepe

I dont understand Either, why a 3.8 and a 3.4 scored design couldn't print ?

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Threadless can't print everything.

teatimegeek

well i understand how threadless can't possibly print everything, but there's gotta be a way to filter out these "jealous low votes". they seem to skew the final score quite a bit :(

i was pretty lucky in that most of my votes came from my own promotions on FB and tumblr, but it still got 70 something 1s (which thankfully only constituted 4% of the total votes)

which, by the way, can people vote more than once on a submission? would that explain how those 1s came into being?

misstissie

pretty lucky?

YOU GOT A 4.28. SOME PEOPLE HERE WOULD EAT A PUPPY FOR A FAN BASE AND SCORE LIKE THAT. but really don't worry about the 1s. threadless will print it if they like it. designs with over 100 1s/designs that score below 2.5 get printed. try not to get caught up in the numbers and keep on keepin' on.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Take into consideration that the downvoters are doing the same on everyone else's submissions too. :-) And the haters are hating on other haters. Don't worry about scores too much, in the end Threadless prints what they want. Just do art, let it do its thing and then move on to the next idea. Jam Session was great, so keep it up!

teatimegeek

goodness don't eat puppies! :P but yeah i hear ya, 'm just trying to understand how threadless works overall as well, never been involved in any voting before (hell, didn't even look at the site for the past year and BAM it's totally different now)

and thanks theinfamousbaka >_> yea i guess you're right. oh and Jam Session isn't mine, it's just a design that i really liked :)

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I think anyone who wear this kind of tee:

would give both design "1". It's just a matter of personal preference.

teatimegeek

ahh i see your point. love you designs btw radiomode >_>

[+duracell-]

they get loads of 1's because we can't vote zero anymore

teatimegeek

geebus there used to be zeros? um ok

Alex Fienemann

I try to save my 1's for real eyebleeds and 5's for shirts I'd run over my own mother for an opportunity to buy. If you just throw out a lot of low scores, they lose all meaning, but then again, that's just me.

Also the fact that there are people who vote "1" just because they think it will help propel them to stardom just boggles my mind. :(

voodazz

I used to get excited whenever I would get a large number of scores in a relatively short amount of time, but these days I just assume that most of those scores are probably ones. :P

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni
radiomode said:

I think anyone who wear this kind of tee:

would give both design "1". It's just a matter of personal preference.

ha! You are probably correct.

teatimegeek

Alex: gaw that sounds ratty. so, it would seem that unless a submission is genuinely horrid, most low votes would come from within the threadless pool, mainly the members who have a vested interest in lowering other submissions' score.

clear as day now. and kinda...depressing :T welp. at least there are nice peeps too like you guys :)

birchlind

Hmm, I´ve given out a fair few ones and twoes. It´s never been about resentment or jealousy, but a lot of the designs I´ve seen have been pretty bad. I might be picky, I dunno. According to Threadless my average score is 2.5, so in general I´m giving more twos and ones than I am fours and fives.

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

Jam session is great like everyone said there are haters and jealous people that score great with 1s

teatimegeek

or it could be that someone really needs money in their life so they...wait this thought made sense in my head >_>

voodazz

Hmm... last I checked I had over 600 scores and only 25 comments for my last submission. Yeah.... I'm not expecting a stellar score. :P

HopeWish

Yeah, I rarely give 1's unless it's REALLY awful. Hater's gonna hate. I really get excited just to see all those scores and think 400 people saw my design! And I love comments! Don't worry about the scoring as everyone said. Just keep making like threadless says. :)

gordon commissar

I think that maybe a lot of people votes 1's because so many designs resemble each other... Sometimes I'm too pretty bored to see anthropomorphized animals and clouds and balls and vegetables, from the first to the last page! So, as radiomode pointed, is a matter of personal preference even more than a well done draw.

teatimegeek

hoh, ok, i guess there's a sickening factor too then.

gordon commissar

Personnally, I rather vote 1's, only if is a bad design with no concept. I vote 1's pretty most often if it's also a subject that have been represented 3 hundred times a month!

teatimegeek

honest opinion xD

messthem

Reality; if you like your own design it doesn't mean everyone will agree to you... it's matter of taste!!! It's almost impossible to please everyone with your design!!! So just get along with opinions... But i like both of your designs. Good luck!

teatimegeek

but...these aren't my designs guys xD

Wolfgang8885

If you hover over each number on the scores, it pretty much sums up your feeling when you see a project and that is what i go by. If i see a shirt that makes me wanna puke, a 1 is shown as, "ugh" which is pretty much how i would feel.

voodazz

Hey my Bravest Warrior sub got a 3.19. That was a lot more than I was expecting and with only 101 ones!

Things are looking up.

teatimegeek

ONLY 101. ok if that's the norm here then >_>;;;

Alicewolves
Alicewolves profile pic Alumni

This is a great blog! I also had the same question as teatimegeek about why people vote 1's on designs, I figured either people do it for fun or just hating on a design. I'm still new to this whole Threadless thing :-/.

MudgeStudios
MudgeStudios profile pic Alumni

Some really good insight as to why design that pass thru Threadless pre-screening could get so may ones. I guess the lesson is to NOT take it personally and to forge on because one has a passion for t-shirt design.

taz-pie

even the BEST designs have a bunch of ones. you can't assume everyone has the same preferences as you i guess?

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

The one is there on the scale for a reason, though I do agree many designs get much more ones that seems fair. At least we can't get zeroes anymore like we did before the redesign of the site!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

My best scoring sub got 50 1's out of 500 votes. There will always be a some people that either don't like the concept, the art, are haters, are down voting, vote harshly, and either vote 1 or 5. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just say fug it and move on.

taz-pie

Some designs deserve zeros.

kazualtee

Was checking out the top sports subs and most of the great ones all had around 50 one votes. It's gotta be the same people doing it to all the subs lol.

38Sunsets
38Sunsets profile pic Alumni

Make voting system open so that everyone can see who scores what, and you'll see how quickly number of 1s disappears. but then how mean people will do to put others down?!

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

That would also make people vote 5 just to be nice to someone, which is bad.

taz-pie

I say bullshit to all of this. I think there are VERY few 'haters' who score 1's out of spite. That's just dumb. The truth is, people just don't like some stuff and would never wear it. And so they dish out a bunch of 1s. That is the more honest way to vote than this "give me 5 and I will give u 5 lol" BULLSHIT.

katthecat

It's just a matter of personal preference. I score low more often than I'd like to admit, but it's not because I'm being mean. I just don't think that I would ever wear a shirt like that. I'm not trying to be hurtful; I'm sorry if I am. That's just how I feel about that particular design. (And if you think I'm too picky, well, that may be true too.) Anyway, if you don't like it, you don't like it, and it's not fair to say that someone who scores low is a hater. It's best to just accept that everyone's opinions and preferences are different and move on.

Wolfgang8885

I honestly dont hate on anyone's designs because you have to have a level of respect for your fellow artists. If I give a 1 it is because I think the design is ugly, poorly made, and there wasnt much effort put into it.

teatimegeek

what about a system where people just put in a positive vote for the designs they like? that'd pretty much eliminate the effect of the haters, and people who don't like the design can just not vote for it. not that I'd know enough about this system to suggest any changes. just yappin' here :)

number_six

My two (lol) cents: I often give ones ore twoes not for being an hater or a jealous one, but just because we can vote so and that's all. Also maybe I'm picky too, as Birchlind (I like this word, never used it until now :D). I'm on threadless since a couple of months and I thought about my votes because I was afraid they were way too low (my average vote is 2 according to threaldess), but "ehy - I said - let's see my parameters": I vote one for really awful, eyebleeding (another funny word) designs and also for unfitting designs due to contest rules. Twoes are for poor designs or not-so-bad concepts, but still in that "generally awful" area. Threes is between meh and ok: not bad for me. Four is a very good one and most of the times I'd wear that. I vote five for brilliant executions and concepts and I don't give it so frequently. Also, I voted five to my two designs, I admit.

I'm sorry for my english

hershel

^ fair enough thanks for that info!

teatimegeek

of course! i've seen some *ahem eyebleeding ones too x)

teatimegeek

oh man, saw someone's profile today who gives "an average score of 1.87" they have designs up for scoring as well! don't they understand that everyone else also put in at least as much work as they did? that's just. not freakin' right man. not right at all :(

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us