Close
One second...

Submission declined. Feedback please.

Hello all. I'm new to T-shirt design. Please let me know if you think this design just needs a little tweaking or if I'm miles off the mark! Your constructive input could be really helpful. Thanks.
Later Gator

Watch this
johnnyspeter

I think the art in the design is very good, but the text and word bubbles kinda take away from that ohh so goodness. If anything id maybe have just the butterfly with a word bubble saying "Later Gator", the name of your design. I think people would understand it more also. You don't need the Gator saying bye, hes already waving bye.

[+duracell-]

i just facepalmed through my skull

Alex Fienemann

Definitely the comic sans. Try some hand lettering?

Abstract Matter

It doesn't make any bloody sense And comic sans! Oh god

HopeWish

Definitely needs work on the concept and design. Maybe make the alligator and butterfly clearly represent something, and for it to say "Later alligator". The style needs work. The ground looks odd, and the butterfly is odd with no texture, while the gator has texture.

piella

oh, geez! Comic sans is a big no-no, huh?! Now I know! Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm gonna fix some of that stuff and ask for more. Bye bye, butterfly!

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

You should use Papyrus instead. :-)

taz-pie

oh gosh

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Bold Italic Helvetica ftw :)

jennyp1111

I've never heard of 'bye bye butterfly' until now.. that might be causing some of the confusion! its cute though. Maybe you should include that in the title as well this way in case people haven't heard of it.

Alex Fienemann

Comic Sans is generally... frowned upon:

But hey, that's how you learn! You seem to have a great attitude about taking criticism. That will take you very far. Good for you!

MildMannered83
MildMannered83 profile pic Alumni

I'd also say that the line work of the butterfly body in the image could most definitely use some refinement--it doesn't seem on-par with the butterfly wings and the crocodile. Also the texture on the crocodile is very copy/paste, as is the grass. You obviously just used the default Photoshop brush for grass, making it look extremely amateurish. BUT...I love the overall concept. It's adorable. Please fix this up and resubmit! :-)

MildMannered83

FYI, it's really easy to create your own brushes in Photoshop--i.e. for if you want to make your own grassy looking brush. There's a very helpful tutorial right here on Threadless on the "Make it Better" page: http://www.threadless.com/make/better

It's the 2nd video listed.

Also, a trick I've used is to just draw whatever texture, area, or object I wish to repeat and then just copy that layer multiple times, merging as I go (if I don't need to keep the layers separate). Then after that, you can go in and add any extra details by hand if you wish.

piella
MildMannered83 said:

I'd also say that the line work of the butterfly body in the image could most definitely use some refinement--it doesn't seem on-par with the butterfly wings and the crocodile. Also the texture on the crocodile is very copy/paste, as is the grass. You obviously just used the default Photoshop brush for grass, making it look extremely amateurish. BUT...I love the overall concept. It's adorable. Please fix this up and resubmit! :-)

Thank you so much for your very helpful feedback in this and your following posts. I really appreciate it. Encouraging and useful.

MildMannered83

Not a problem. Glad I could help. :-)

No account?
Join Us