Close
One second...

How is life in your country/city?

What do you think of the people, living condition and living cost in your country/city?

How is the art scene?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

I live in the second fastest growing city in the US and it shows. It's a mess! Being a military town there is not much of an art scene, but there is a small one in the downtown area that I've been to a couple of times. Pretty fun, even if it's mostly college kids. :-)

But Nashville is close by and there is a great music/art scene there with tons of really awesome people. I'd say it's relatively affordable compared to the west coast and places like New York and the people are nice for the most part.

nickv47
nickv47 profile pic Alumni

I live in Chicago. It's hectic. Crime has been really bad recently, so I tend not to go out at night much. Art scene is great. We have first and second Fridays where galleries are open. Also, there are lots of pop up art shows around town. Music scene is also great. Cost of living is fairly steep. Traffic and commuting is often a bitch more times than not. It's usually temperate this time of year, but we've been in a never ending winter so it's been cold and gray days for the past couple weeks. I'd totally live in the middle of nowhere but this is where the jobs are at currently, so I'll be here for a while.

TheInfamousBaka

That's awesome, Taz! South Africa looks so pretty. Do you leave close to the penguins? Saw a thing about them on TV the other day and thought about you. :-)

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

NYC is the place to be. Art everywhere.

Living cost is crazy expensive though ~

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Sarasota, Florida

I haven't visited many places outside of FL, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Sarasota has lots of wealth and lower middle class. Only one really bad area of town. A lot of tourists... they come for the beaches, weather, golf, shopping, etc.

Even though there's a top tier Art & Design college here, the art scene isn't anything special. A lot of snotty rich people and those who think they're better than everyone else. Unless you know someone or are someone special, you just get pushed to the side.

There's the Ringling Museum of Art (basically John Ringling's art collection and estate) and the Sarasota Museum of Art is still a work in progress. I think they've acquired their funding, now the building just needs to be renovated/built.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

I live in Athens, GA and things are pretty chill. Very little violent crime and people are cool for the most part. As you get outside the city it is uber conservative country which is OK as long as you don't talk politics. The cost of living is super low but wages are super depressed and our county has one of the highest poverty rates in the US. There are lots of open spaces, tons of trees, and very little traffic (I drive 1 mile to work and eat lunch at home). Spring and Fall are amazingly beautiful here, the winters are fairly mild, and summer is miserably hot & wet.

For a rather small city the music scene is super good. A lot of bands stop in here for smaller venues and the ticket prices are decent. The art scene is super good for Folk-Art but not so good for Fine-Art.

Musarter

I did not realize Eric and Tiffany were "Southerners."

taz-pie
TheInfamousBaka said:

That's awesome, Taz! South Africa looks so pretty. Do you leave close to the penguins? Saw a thing about them on TV the other day and thought about you. :-)

yup, the penguin colony is on boulders beach, about 30 mins from my house :)

taz-pie

and this is the view from where i live:

lifeissohard.jpg

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Rio sucks. It's pricier than living in Manhattan. Most of the people that live here are douchebags / jersey shore type of people... and there's no art scene.

How 'bout that?

The only way to have a good life here is by being filthy rich.

TheInfamousBaka
taz-pie said:
TheInfamousBaka said:

yup, the penguin colony is on boulders beach, about 30 mins from my house :)

Penguins! They're so adorable and wow what a view.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

you live in the water, Taz?

Musarter
taz-pie said:

and this is the view from where i live:

lifeissohard.jpg

Dang, I want to live in the tide pools too. Seriously, looks amazing and my animal obsessed son would be in heaven.

gebe
gebe profile pic Alumni

I live in a small town in Italy, art is in every single person.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

I live near London, its expensive and most people are so miserable. Some parts of London have a great art scene but the majority of this country is bland to say the least.

I hate it here

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Are you a penguin, Taz?

DavidBS

I live in Margarita Island / Venezuela. The weather is awesome, beautiful places, nice people. The political situation of the country is a little complex, a lot of things happening lately... The art scene is getting better everyday, designers are being recognized internationally; and something that make me proud is the national orchesta, an excellent social work has been going on, in which the poorest people in society are included. In their presentations you can see the joy of our people. Please let me show you a bit of this wonderful project: Orquesta Simón Bolívar

taz-pie
jeffreyg said:

you live in the water, Taz?

punk.

Chipmnk

San Diego is a mix of things. I feel like it's what people typically think of when they hear "Southern California."

It has nice weather, beaches in the backyard. That's pretty much all I really like about it. Living costs are high. I don't especially like any of the people here. Except Phil. Though I live in an area that is filled with old, wealthy, white folks.

We have a ton of museums, but I feel like there isn't much of an art scene in terms of actual artists and creatives.

I'm not a big fan of this place and would like to move very soon.

Musarter

^Where in San Diego? I grew-up in Encinitas.

I would say the art there is kind of Folk-Art centric like it is where I live now. What sells there is beach art (waves, sunsets, beaches), here it Southern tradition (Football, Plantations, Magnolias); both markets suck.

I always tell people San Diego is a great place to visit but not a nice place to live unless you are uber wealthy.

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
nickv47 said:

I live in Chicago. It's hectic. Crime has been really bad recently, so I tend not to go out at night much. Art scene is great. We have first and second Fridays where galleries are open. Also, there are lots of pop up art shows around town. Music scene is also great. Cost of living is fairly steep. Traffic and commuting is often a bitch more times than not. It's usually temperate this time of year, but we've been in a never ending winter so it's been cold and gray days for the past couple weeks. I'd totally live in the middle of nowhere but this is where the jobs are at currently, so I'll be here for a while.

I heard about the crime too. When I was back in Singapore, people told me that US is not live-able due to the crime. Is it really that bad?

Chipmnk
Musarter said:

^Where in San Diego? I grew-up in Encinitas.

I would say the art there is kind of Folk-Art centric like it is where I live now. What sells there is beach art (waves, sunsets, beaches), here it Southern tradition (Football, Plantations, Magnolias); both markets suck.

I always tell people San Diego is a great place to visit but not a nice place to live unless you are uber wealthy.

Currently Carlsbad. La Jolla and Mira Mesa in years past.

And I totally agree. If I was rich and retired, San Diego would be a great place to settle.

Steger
Steger profile pic Alumni

We live in Fort Collins, CO (by way of Little Rock, AR), about 45 mins north of Denver (and 2 hours from skiing) and love it. City of about 140,000 people. Amazing views, hiking, camping, trails, downtown, parks, community events, etc. People are super friendly. Art scene is definitely growing but small. Denver's not far away and has some amazing museums/galleries. We're also up to I think 13 craft breweries now, New Belgium and Odell are the biggest. Also have a pretty nice food scene. The only thing I'd say we're really lacking in is a music scene.

Cost of living is a little expensive but not outlandish. We just bought our first house in Sept. Crime rate is low. Allstate rated us best driving city in the country a few years ago (which is the polar opposite of where we lived before in Orlando.) A lot of tech startups are happening along the Front Range. It's the first place we've ever lived where we've said "We could see ourselves here for the next 20 years"

My fam (pic taken on Pearl St. in Boulder):

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Are you a penguin, Taz?

TheInfamousBaka
radiomode said:
nickv47 said:

I heard about the crime too. When I was back in Singapore, people told me that US is not live-able due to the crime. Is it really that bad?

It depends on where you live. Chicago has a lot of gang related problems, but in other areas crime can be relatively low. It depends on the city and where you are within the city. It seems like the lower the rent rates are, the higher the crime rate is in the area I live. My husband and I live in an okay part of town, but have gotten our apartment broken into once. It sucks.

Twiggyhall

I love reading this! So fun to hear about where y'all are from and what you think of where you live.

I'm in Seattle and can't imagine living anywhere else. Art, music, great food, craft beer and natural beauty can be found in abundance here. Cost of living is not cheap, though, especially if you live in or near the city like I do.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my neighborhood! I can walk to a market, to tons of great restaurants & pubs and I'm just up the hill from Green Lake, a small man-made lake with a trail around it. Here is a view of the lake from my front yard:

The one downside for me has been trying to find fashion design work. It's hard unless you want to design sweatshirts and raincoats. I really should get off my lazy ass and start a website but haven't yet.But I do love my job for the most part, despite the fact that it is not creatively-inclined. I get to work downtown, which I love. It's awesome to be close to everything.

OH OH OH and I also live about 7 minutes away from MezoStef and about 3 hours away from ChenguiBrian & Renee and Lordog and all of the other awesome Portland peeps so that's an extra awesome bonus.

nickv47
nickv47 profile pic Alumni
TheInfamousBaka said:
radiomode said:
nickv47 said:

It depends on where you live. Chicago has a lot of gang related problems, but in other areas crime can be relatively low. It depends on the city and where you are within the city. It seems like the lower the rent rates are, the higher the crime rate is in the area I live. My husband and I live in an okay part of town, but have gotten our apartment broken into once. It sucks.

It's livable. Just need to be aware of your surroundings walking around and on the public transportation. I've had my car broke into. Certain neighborhoods you just learn to stay away from. Period. It's a city of 3 million people so obviously there's going to be a lot of things going on, good and bad.

ir0cko
ir0cko profile pic Alumni

I live in a tiny city in California called Manteca. There isn't much going on around here at all. It's a very quiet city with some very sketchy looking people. The surrounding cities are filled with worse folks and high crime rates, so I don't do much around here. My hometown is an hour away though, and there's tons going on there.

Also, there's no art scene around here. Would have to go to San Francisco for that.

CSchaffer86

I live in an extremely small town in Texas at least thirty minutes away from anything productive. The art scene is completely non existent unless you count the art class at the local high school. The cost of living is so low that once you move to a place like this it's hard to move anywhere else! It's like a black hole... of souls... T.T

L-M-N-O-P
L-M-N-O-P profile pic Alumni

I live in a small community of towns towards the very Northwest tip of Washington State. It's basically a retirement community (I'd say 65% seniors in some parts), and there's a limited art/music scene. The art is mostly abstract or Native-American. The music is mostly Bluegrass/Jazz/Mainstream-Folk/Metal, but each (both the art and music) have their moments. I've never been much involved with either in the community, so I guess it doesn't bother me. There's a moderate drug scene/meth-lab population, so that's a bit disconcerting. They keep to themselves mostly, though, and the police force is good, so it's not a bother. It's a seaside community, so there's lots of marinas and ports and fishing and crabbing. I live about two minutes from where I work, so it's a good commute for driving (even though I should be riding a bike there). My cost of living is low, and the average cost of living around here is. For the most part, it's not so bad. It's also at the foot of a beautiful mountain range, so the beauty here is stunning. I actually wouldn't mind living here for a while. It area looks like this: ![ It's rather rainy/stormy/grey most of the year, but those solitary few months of late Spring, Summer,and early Autumn can be quite breathtaking.

Twiggyhall

I love camping up there, Jeremy! The trees always make me think of something you'd see in a Dr. Suess book :)

mechanicalrobotpower
mechanicalrobotpower profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I live in Auckland, New Zealand.. (or Orcland AMIRITE?!?!) It sucks. The art scene is big but shitty, ..it's a bunch of J-holes who all try to sell you some deep weird meaningful bulldust, but in all reality it's a sheeps tail stapled to a fencepost.

The only reason I live here is that it's the only place to make money in illustration/animation/design in the whole country.

One of you should hire me out of this asstown.

..the rest of NZ is great though, ..Auckland is terrible.

CSchaffer86

I would love to see some scenery like that! We plan on moving to a northern state again once we're able. Colorado, Maine, or Connecticut. :)

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

That is some amazing scenery.

Finland is okay I guess? It's cold half the year and sometimes the summers are cold too. Living isn't very expensive outside Helsinki but pretty much everything else is. Except health care. Like everywhere, most people are just... regular. There's not much gang or drugs related crime but plenty of violent drunks. We have a decent live music scene here and I suppose there's an art scene too, thanks to art schools. Many designers tend to flee the country though!

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Right now I'm in a very small town in western North Carolina that doesn't seem to have evolved past the 70's. Cold and snowy here right now but the scenery's great. And for a small town there's a really great art scene.

And Musarter my wife and I LOVE Athens, we wanted to move there for a while but it never happened.

Awesome thread BTW :D

Goldendust

Right now I'm living in Brisbane. There are two kinds of weather: sunny, or tropical storm. It's pretty uncultured tbh, there's a bit of a craft scene but that's about it. I swear to god every person that lives here is either a sports fan or a fitness fanatic... so it doesn't really suit me all that well. I'm looking for work in Melbourne though, which everyone assures me I will love, even though I've never been there.

We live in an apartment on the finger of land below, which is opposite the CBD. I guess catching a ferry to work is quite nice:

I kinda feel obliged to mention Christchurch, which is my hometown, but it's been really interesting to see what's happening there post earthquakes. There are still a lot of very upset people, but there are also a lot who are making the best of all the empty spaces and putting cool stuff in them. The rebuild itself is so slow though, so many people I know (including my parents) are waiting for insurance companies to settle on repairs to their houses/rebuilds, and the CBD still hasn't reopened because there's so much demolition going on, and lets face it, there's nothing left. Here is a fun comparison!

Before quakes:

After quakes:

joelwalsham

I like in Auckland, New Zealand. I love it.

I used to be quite hard on Auckland. However, I have traveled more and recently I decided that I live in a beautiful part of the world. I live on the foothills of the Waitakere Ranges, 20 minutes away from ruggard west coast beaches. In 15 minutes I can be in the heart of the city, that is small enough to navigate and is situated on a clean harbour.

In August I am moving to San Francisco for college, to study a BFA in Dance.

voodazz

I live in the knoxville, tn area. It has a decent dowtown scene and a strong and growing art and music scene as well. It's also only minutes away from the smoky montains and just a couple of hours from Nashville and Atlanta. There's plenty of great natural scenery to see and people are nice for the most part.

Cost of living is decent but we have a 9.25 percent sales tax which sucks.

We have a pretty moderate climate

However, this place will flat out assault your allergies, often called the allergy capital of the country.

We have some insanely backward politicians that often make the news for the wrong reasons

A lot of businesses are moving down here, the only drawback to that is that they seem to be knocking down a lot of natural habitat with construction. Mcmansions infested a lot of areas.

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni
Morkki said:

That is some amazing scenery.

Finland is okay I guess? It's cold half the year and sometimes the summers are cold too. Living isn't very expensive outside Helsinki but pretty much everything else is. Except health care. Like everywhere, most people are just... regular. There's not much gang or drugs related crime but plenty of violent drunks. We have a decent live music scene here and I suppose there's an art scene too, thanks to art schools. Many designers tend to flee the country though!

Let me but this in other words Living in Finland sucky suck sucks. It's not cold it freeken freezing ! and depressing darkness keeps this place sunless for most of the year. There is this two weeks in the summer when the sun never sets when it might be gindoff of warmish. Last summer I had no reason to not wear a jacket all the time. It's expensive, everything in this country is taxed to high prices. For the money I pay for this small space I could have a house in FL. I fume at the gills for having to pay double, most of the time triple for items I'd like to get, then what I know it cost in the US or most places in the world. Ordering stuff on line is in high fashion for that. I've lived near Chicago and in Many places in FL including Sarasota (I want to go back there really bad !!! well FL anyway) One thing I will word the same not much crime as so, but way too many violent drunks ! and could they please not do so in front of my building. Yeah yeah great health care like Canada. So living here is in some terms easy, but you miss out on a lot for it. I don't know about the art scene thing or stuff but pretty decent game developing is going on. Designers indeed tend to flee, better chances of work, fame and fortune or just not so bland plah and depressing else where - I have my running sues on, only work keeps me here.

emeryg
emeryg profile pic Alumni

Sweet blog & one I'm going to read more of as i ride the bus home from work in Brisbane Australia. Just a quick detour on my way though can anyone who contributes to this blog fill in your details, like if u live in the USA let us know that vital piece of information because (Musarter) to me and probably the rest of the world Athens is the capital of Greece & not a city in America - but that good to know & interesting - I look forward 2 reading more & even adding some info on Brisbane Australia - but right now I gotta get off my bus & continue the session I started at work - it's Thursday night her and the start of a long weekend ENJOY EVERYONE & have a good one or two!!

BlancaJP

I had my second cup of coffee and the other side of my brain just woke up to remind me it's pretty ok here. It's the people that keep it cool (hahaa - pun) Morkki might know how important coffee is in ones diet ;) note to self do not post before at least 2 cups of coffee. So on to real stuff. Really nice to hear where every one is and WOW those views are off the charts awesome ! I making notes on where to take a vacation.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Ahahah oh yes coffee. Finland consumes a ridiculous amount of the stuff... about 12 kilos per capita in a year.

BlancaJP
Morkki said:

Ahahah oh yes coffee. Finland consumes a ridiculous amount of the stuff... about 12 kilos per capita in a year.

yep here's the wiki Finlands numer 1 wohooo ! and I drink most of it

Goldendust

Oh hey, emeryg... Did I know we live in the same city? Neat!

Musarter
emeryg said:

Sweet blog & one I'm going to read more of as i ride the bus home from work in Brisbane Australia. Just a quick detour on my way though can anyone who contributes to this blog fill in your details, like if u live in the USA let us know that vital piece of information because (Musarter) to me and probably the rest of the world Athens is the capital of Greece & not a city in America - but that good to know & interesting - I look forward 2 reading more & even adding some info on Brisbane Australia - but right now I gotta get off my bus & continue the session I started at work - it's Thursday night her and the start of a long weekend ENJOY EVERYONE & have a good one or two!!

Hoe, ah yeah, Athens is a city in Georgia, US. It has a population of 100,000, Thirty-thousand of which are students, and is home to the University of Georgia. It was put on the map by local bands, that went mainstream, such as REM, The B-52's, and later Danger Mouse, and Neutral Milk Hotel. Mentioning Georgia or the US probably would have helped with the confusion.

veciocoldobro

I live in Mira, near Venice (Italy). I like it here, quiet place in reach of the bigger cities (Venice and Padua). I love the lagoon and the landscape around here. The art scene is well developed, from visual arts to music thanks to the Accademia in Venice, music schools and pubs/places where local bands play regularly. Take some pictures:

emeryg
emeryg profile pic Alumni

Wow Mira looks sensational - but I'd image there wouldn't be too many bad spots in Italy!

heykimby said:

Oh hey, emeryg... Did I know we live in the same city? Neat!

Very cool kimby I think there's a few others on here from BisVegas & definitely a few from Christchurch. I work for an Architectural firm in Brisbane & we’ve got an Office over there as well as all major Australian cities. One of their recent projects was the Restart Pop-up container mall project which is quiet cool & good to see innovative design solutions in extreme circumstances. It’s hard for me to imagine living in a country which has felt the effects of such a devastating earthquake. I grew up in Ireland and have lived in London & Sydney before moving to Brisbane/ Redcliffe so these have been relatively safe zones, I can’t image living with the fear that one day everything might come crashing down around you! On that cheery note I’ll do some more back tracking and read about all the fab places everyone’s from and get itchy feet to travel again!

Goldendust

Dude I think I know what company you work for! Haha. Did you attend the Retail Property Awards last year at all? If so, we were totally in the same room! And if not, it's still a crazy small world.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?