Close
One second...

Could someone help me out? :)

http://www.threadless.com/play/forum/post/968902/first_timer_could_use_some_critiquing__/

So I posted this thread yesterday in hopes of some critiquing and opinions on my idea. I noticed I didn't get any response to it but didn't think too much into it until I tried to post again on it and it kept sending me an error message. I tried to delete it but it won't delete either, at least on my side it won't.

Could anyone possibly try to click on that link and see if it deleted or comment on that one just to see if it is working or not? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Watch this
CSchaffer86

Thank you, drewski79. I'm not sure why it was being difficult. lol

CSchaffer86

This was my idea that I had. A friend of mine said I might try to add more to it.. make it Hawaiian/California themed with surfboards and waves. Any opinions?

taz-pie

ok gosh

taz-pie

ok ok i got dis. You seem like a nice person. It is so cool having new people jump in to the blogs to TALK to us, instead of score-whoring :)

That being said...

This is really not a great start. If it were accepted, it would probably tank in the voting. There is no 'big idea', and then the execution is kinda clumsy.

So. My suggestion is to keep looking through all the designs that have been printed here. Get a feel for what will sell. Work at your craft. Try over and over and over til it is perfect! You can do it!

taz-pie

Make friends with us helpful folk. We like fart jokes!

CSchaffer86

Thanks for reply, taz! I actually find what you said to be a really big compliment! I strive on learning from others. :) I was kind of wondering why people seemed to be avoiding the critiquing process for mine! I swear I take constructive criticism very well!

In all honesty this is my first attempt at digital art like this. I only used Photoshop for minor photography changes.

Thank you for the words of encouragement! Back to the drawing board! :D

(maybe I can find something else to do with this?)

CSchaffer86

Just so happens I have experience with Dutch Ovens..... T.T

taz-pie

Maybe start with a nice BIG IDEA and a blank piece of paper and a pencil. Rework it over and over until you are happy to digitise-majigit. Look at colour combinations that inspire you. Look at the form and shape and balance of your design, bearing in mind it is going on a tshirt, not a wall. Keep asking for honest critiques and IGNORE all the "i like it, vote for mine plz" bastards.

taz-pie

HOOORAAAY! your first fart joke! You'll fit in here, kiddo :)

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

wow, that is special commentary from taz - she clearly likes you, you should feel proud!

She has hit the nail on the head though unfortunately - the execution is a bit sloppy and there's some anatomical issues, plus it just needs "more". It needs to do something or say something, be it funny, clever, thoughtful etc. Concept is king here and, with the odd exception of something hot damn amazingly beautiful, it's likely a good solid idea that's going to do well rather than something just pretty. have a looksie through the prints and hopefully you'll see what I mean by concept driven work, and then get your pencil and sketchbook out and start again! And don's stress about not knowing photoshop - the best way to learn is to use it! Plus there are some nifty video tutorials under the make section to help you get started.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

oh yes, if you are nervous around photoshop, then simple is the best way to start but it needs to be a really good idea. some of the best stuff on here is super simple work with a really good concept behind in.

CSchaffer86

Or the guys offering me $50 for my design? XD

That is great advice. I guess I should have figured there was going to be more to designing than just regular art, or at least on here.

haha Good! I would hate to go into the reject pile!

taz-pie

Gosh! I didn't want Digsy to see me being nice to a noob. Usually I terrorise them. WHAT WILL BECOME OF MY REPUTATION AROUND HERE?!

CSchaffer86

Thank you digsy! I actually have read some of Taz's comments on others.. and I feel pretty privileged to think she likes me! I think I really won her over with my fart jokes.. but who doesn't like a good fart joke?!

Would you mind clearing up the anatomical issues on it? I would really like to make this work if I can. I hate to see an idea go to waste!

CSchaffer86

XD We'll blame it on bad gas.

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

Woah Taz, ...this is .... ..nice to a newcomer? giving pizza to the unfortunate? ...I like this.

Twiggyhall

LIKE A POODLE BED?????

adrokz

Just keep on drawing and having a go CSchaffer, I'm a 'newbie' too playing with my first designs and trying to figure out photoshop. At least you've had your first critique which you can now build on. Good luck to ya!

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni
taz-pie said:

Gosh! I didn't want Digsy to see me being nice to a noob. Usually I terrorise them. WHAT WILL BECOME OF MY REPUTATION AROUND HERE?!

TAZ is being NICE?? WTF

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
Twiggyhall said:

LIKE A POODLE BED?????

NO...NOT LIKE A FUCKING POODLE BED....JESUS H CHRIST....IT'S A LABRADOODLE BED FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

Wait....Is my keyboard still on?

Nekoashi

You're off to a good start, asking for some advice on how to improve your work vs just whining that everyone here is a hater.

One thing that might be helpful is when you want to design something for a tshirt as well as other things like wall art or a backpack, etc. is to think about the space where the design will sit and what the proportions are. Tshirts use a portrait/vertical layout (vs landscape/horizontal) so creating artwork that lends itself to that is a good idea. You could try adapting the artwork where her hair isn't blowing in just 1 direction and you'd be able to give it some volume too.

I see you placed your design at the bottom of the tank top, and in the girly tee in the middle; the design looks much better closer to the middle, I would move it closer to the top of the girly shirt where the fabric curves out, it'll add to your design IMO :)

As others have mentioned, its a good concept it just needs to be developed further. Make several rough drawings 1st to make sure you like the layout before spending time adding all of the details just yet. I'd also take a little time looking at human anatomy and various perspectives you could use for it too. Keep at it Cheri! I look forward to seeing some revisions submitted :)

CSchaffer86

lol Wow, is it a really big deal for Taz to be nice to people?!

You can usually tell when someone is being too critical or not. I've read plenty of reviews on other people's work so I think you guys are pretty honest people.

I think I am going to add to it a little more and maybe re-draw the whole thing out. I'll be looking forward to adding some more and seeing everyone else's. :)

taz-pie

i'm just honest and don't asscreep.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Taz and CSchaffe86 sittin in a tree..F.A.R.T.I.N.G. ;)

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni
taz-pie said:

ok ok i got dis. You seem like a nice person. It is so cool having new people jump in to the blogs to TALK to us, instead of score-whoring :)

That being said...

This is really not a great start. If it were accepted, it would probably tank in the voting. There is no 'big idea', and then the execution is kinda clumsy.

So. My suggestion is to keep looking through all the designs that have been printed here. Get a feel for what will sell. Work at your craft. Try over and over and over til it is perfect! You can do it!

Holy HOLY shit, whats going on here!? Taz, the thick veneer of your noob rage has finally cracked. Take two valium and com back to this with renewed rage in the morning.

I don't really have anything new to offer that hasn't already been said, the concept is key if you have interesting idea thats more than half the battle won already. If you were a large T-shirt company what would you be willing to pay $2000 for?

Good luck and just keep going, There are loads of photoshop tutorials here on threadless under 'art and design'. Get get 'em tiger.

taz-pie

haha chris! maybe its just cos i wanted to call dibs but was too shy?

i dunno. i found my comments as weird as you did! :O

CSchaffer86

Thanks Wharton! That is a good way to look at it. It's cool to have such an interesting welcome. Didn't mean to cause so much controversy! XD

Hey Macdoodle.. better out than in, I always say!

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Tis true indeed.

P.S. Welcome to Threadless! Make stuff and have fun! :)

No account?
Join Us