Close
One second...

Low scoring Challenges - THREADSTAFF thoughts?

I just noticed that the select challenge closed last night and I'm pretty surprised by how low scoring everything is. The top score was only 3.40 with only 14 out of 750+ designs scoring over 3!!
Theres a huge number of 1s on everything as well - have the 1 brigade been out to play?
Not that it matters much as it appears to be across the board, its just a shame as there's some lovely work there and it kinda brings down the tone a bit.

Seems like a similar thing has happened with the Bikes Challenge - only 4 designs scoring over 3 and, with the exception of the top scoring one which is way off kilter to the rest, a pretty high number of ones in comparison to vote numbers. I hate to think what scores would look like if we still had 0's!

Is this going to be the norm now? For obvious reasons, 3 felt like an easier score to break when we first dropped the 0's on the new site. Now it's starting to feel like a real goal again - not a bad thing of course, I just hate seeing totally epic designs get unrealistically high numbers of bad votes :-(

i also wonder why i bother posting this seeing it's pretty much completely irrelevant. I guess I'm just curious as to whether I'm the only one who's noticing or who thinks this way.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
DavidBS said:

I would like to see ryder's opinion. He focused on this challenge pretty well.

All of my Sports patches scored in the 2.50 average range, which, considering their simplicity is pretty average. It's a unique challenge, people weren't asked to develop t-shirt designs but rather elements of clothing design (patterns, etc.).. .so maybe that's why things didn't score too high. I think a lot of people didn't know the challenge was happening, so when they come across some simple pattern or patch design in the middle of their powerscore session they're going to think it's lame because they don't understand where it's headed or what it relates to.

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

My bike sub was surprising to me since it was a remake / resub The tandem bike challenge ended 2.75 with only 323 votes, 54 fives & 67 ones The original was 2.98 with 242 votes, 42 fives & 42 ones

I struggled trying to promote enough to make the first page and ended at the bottom of page I honestly thought I would have done better with the new rework but it is what it is. Like everyone a better score feels validating as an artist but in the end having the best score doesn't mean a print. Although not being on page one I'm not very hopeful on the bike challenge one ;-)

jieyi
jieyi profile pic Alumni

it seems that the mickey & friends challenge ended very low too. i'm kind of new to threadless but having only two entries scoring above 3 seems a bit ridiculous to me? the perspective makes me grateful for the scores i got, even though the overall turnout feels extremely brutal.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

You're not wrong! Just went though my favs from the Mickey comp. It seems like the better the design, the more 1s it gets. So many are easy 4-5s with 200, 300, even 600 1s!!!! Except for one glaring anomaly. So out of 800 or so, only a handful crack 3? Seems a bit harsh considering how many brilliant entries there were.

Something else to note, the earlier you entered, the worse off you'll be. Of the first entrants, none even come close to 3, no matter how good they are, they just got maliciously 1-bombed. Of the later ones, there are a few that cracked the magic number, and many others that got very very close. So I'm thinking, perhaps they had less time to be exposed to those 1 trollers?

Queeg500

Hey melmike, how do you go back and re-visit the subs from a past challenge? I'd like to check out some of my favs from the Mickey challenge too - I was mightily impressed by some of the entries and am quite saddened to hear of the low scoring.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!
Angry Yeti said:

With a system based on peer review there are always going to be some bad apples who try to manhandle it to work in their favor. Honestly the best way to combat something like that is for the majority of people here to give fair and honest votes to every item they look at not just ones they like. The more votes tallied the more accurate the average score is reflected. Granted I am pretty new to Threadless but I can understand the frustration when you see things switch to such a negative vibe.

You may be new but you are absolutely right.

The downvoting was pretty ridiculous in the bike and mickey challenges. That tends to happen in most challenges though: the big prize packages bring out the worst in people. Jealousy, competitiveness and downright hate.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Queeg500 said:

Hey melmike, how do you go back and re-visit the subs from a past challenge? I'd like to check out some of my favs from the Mickey challenge too - I was mightily impressed by some of the entries and am quite saddened to hear of the low scoring.

That's one dumb thing about the new site, you need to do that a little backwards. Go to Make - Submit Designs, and the past challenges. From the challenge page, look for a link to view all the designs on the right sidebar. And THEN you'll see a page telling you "Nothing here yet!" because you still need to click "Finished scoring" on the left.

Queeg500

Thanks Morkki! That certainly is a bit backwards! In my naivety, I had hoped that downvoting was something that just didn't happen here. You're right about the big prize packages awakening a different side of people. I can genuinely say that I voted each and every Mickey sub fairly and honestly because I wanted people to do the same for mine. I scored every one and when something deserved a 5, I damn well gave it one! It's a real shame this wasn't the case for every one.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

The world has unscrupulous people in it, who knew. I know this sort of stupidity is frustrating but I also think Threadless has been in the biz for a while now and can probably see whats going on.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

They can def see and they'll print the good stuff whether it got 50 or 300 ones. It's a level playing field but the childishness of it is annoying.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

That's exactly it. Do people really think this is all secret ballot type thing? If a new account pops up, heaps praise on one particular sub, then just goes about voting 1 on every other winnable one, it's not going to be difficult to work out what's happened.

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

results are supercrap and weird right now, i don't know what is going on. low scores on great subs, number of 1's is sometimes double the amount of 5's on those subs, the number of votes is either very low or very high, not many designs score over 3 and 'meh' designs getting the highest average score? Are there really people spending time on scoring everything a 1 that is not theirs/their friends design?

Wharton

DIgs you should tag this title with a 'THREADSTAFF', see if they have an opinion.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
melmike said:

That's exactly it. Do people really think this is all secret ballot type thing? If a new account pops up, heaps praise on one particular sub, then just goes about voting 1 on every other winnable one, it's not going to be difficult to work out what's happened.

^ this.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

I think a lot of people have the misconception that the one with the highest score automatically wins. Then the low-ball trolls come out of the woodworks.

ashtrashbigash
TheInfamousBaka said:

I think a lot of people have the misconception that the one with the highest score automatically wins. Then the low-ball trolls come out of the woodworks.

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping I'm one of those trolls. lol

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

DIgs you should tag this title with a 'THREADSTAFF', see if they have an opinion.

Your wish is my command oh great one

Farnell
Farnell profile pic Alumni

does anybody really give a shit about their score - it doesn't mean anything

Wharton
Farnell said:

does anybody really give a shit about their score - it doesn't mean anything

Woah!

ChrisDB

Honestly, I think the scoring of recent has been generally higher. At least higher than what I was accustomed to seeing. My last design with the t rex for example, I really wouldn't have expected it to score as well as it did based on old scoring trends. Anyhoo, for most designs I can say I can't understand how people can still score some things 1. I mean. I've seen great designs with way too many 1s. Those downscoring folks are just idiots if you ask me. I think the best way to really determine whether a design should be printed for threadless consumers would be if only users who have made purchases get to vote. Or atleast if their votes had more 'weight.' Honestly, I don't even promote my designs. Well, with the exception of my gf, I don't really 'promote' my designs. I figure if it's good enough, people will respond. And at the end of it, the folks at Threadless have the final say soooo.... Shit I rambled, sorry.

Ohhhhh, and I think with the words 'meh' 'ok' etc, they influence how you vote. Me atleast. Think I started voting generally more things a better score. But started voting on more subs so the avg score given goes down, cuz there are a good few dodgy ones I guess.

evyc

I was really bummed that my leggings only got 3.02, but also excited because I broke the 3 score fir the first time.

After reading this, I feel like my score is a lot better than I first realized.

Ryder's patches were AWESOME and I feel like his score prob reflects people coming across them and being like "patches? WTF for?" and not realizing it was for select or what the idea behind select was supposed to be.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

That would make sense if it were just the Selects that were the issue, but it was Bikes and by the sounds of things, Mickey as well

Wharton

Mickey, Donald and Goofy can suck on as many ones as they like, ugh that challenge. I think its time to dust off the downvoter blues and bust out some furiously awesome new subs.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Inspiring words, I shall be busting out some semi awesomeness but only next week as this week I have the tedious task of moving house. Bleugh

Wharton

Ugh, house move. Where are you going to? Is this because of the shitty neighbours?

JChuppe

I think you make a valid point w/this post & bringing it up for discussion. I myself have wondered if the staff takes into consideration a final score before or after zero ratings were eliminated. I had a designs score close to and over 3 before zero ratings were done away with. I can't help but to feel that if I'd have submitted them after the zero rating went away that they'd have scored even higher on average and maybe gotten their attention. It makes me want to ask if I could just resub my stuff again under the new rating system instead of just letting it sit there unnoticed. Seems like it just creates more cases of good designs being overlooked. 1 ratings are the new zero now. That's fince. You've got to have something be the lowest rating. But how can a decent design even compete for attention if they were rated under the old system & therefore have a lower average rating than a so-so design rated last week? I may be totally off on this. Maybe they do consider it. Just been something I've been wondering about.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
JChuppe said:

I had a designs score close to and over 3 before zero ratings were done away with. I can't help but to feel that if I'd have submitted them after the zero rating went away that they'd have scored even higher on average and maybe gotten their attention.

But how can a decent design even compete for attention if they were rated under the old system & therefore have a lower average rating than a so-so design rated last week? I may be totally off on this. Maybe they do consider it. Just been something I've been wondering about.

thats kind of a moot point as it's not like yours is the only design that used to get 0's and now doesn't - everything switched and everyones scores differ now, so you're only being compared to people in the same situation. I'm also pretty sure threadless are more than capable of figuring out how to compare designs with 0's to designs without seeing it's a system they implicated. In this case you're worrying over nothing I think.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

Ugh, house move. Where are you going to? Is this because of the shitty neighbours?

yep, year contract is up and we're outta here. I'm getting even more South African and going further South to Wimbledon, which will be an interesting change but suits well with all sorts of things we've got coming up in our lives.

Neighbour from hell has been living up to his name too - we've had the council round who have issues him two warnings, a third will mean legal action, but unless he goes mental tonight with a party (entirely possible as it sounds likes he's been giving his sound system a run through the last couple of days) we probably won't catch him a third time which is a shame. good luck to the next people and good riddance is all i can say!

gebe
gebe profile pic Alumni
TheInfamousBaka said:
campkatie said:

All of mine were very low as well. The fact that they were up for voting for weeks and weeks probably didn't help either...if they were all up for 7 days like usual I think the average would be higher for all.

I agree, I wish they would change that. I mean, Wittlebee stuff up for over 3 months? Yeesh. Just gives the haters more time to hate.

or more time to the lovers tolove ;)

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?