Close
One second...

Is threadless for professionals only?

I am an artist but I have absolutely no background in
Graphic/computer design. I have photoshop elements 5.0
And no adobe illstrator. Is submitting something to threadless
Something that is just for professional graphic designers?

Can I make a design using old fashioned pencil and paper?

Thanks,
Jeannie

Watch this
unicorndinosaurs
unicorndinosaurs profile pic Alumni

You can make your design however you like. Even photos. You need photoshop or a similar program to finish it up on the templates. You don't have to be a professional. good luck!

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

If your designs work well on a shirt, look good, and are up to the standard of what you see available in the threadless shop, ..then it will do well!!

A great deal of those who have been printed, are absolutely not professional graphic designers.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

No need to be a professional and many different mediums have been used to create designs. But you have to be able to transfer that design in a high resolution to a digital format!

jeannie.monicohunt

I think my first submission try has gone wrong. I am wondering if it was denied because I did not format it correctly or whether the idea is not good enough. I could really use some help and some helpful critique. Is this where I would post the images that I sent to be critiqued or is that on another part of the site?

jeannie.monicohunt

What is considered to be a high resolution format. Is it a matter of dpi? File size?

AlanBao
AlanBao profile pic Alumni

300 dpi is high-res, if you're working in Photoshop. Take a look at the shirts that have already been printed - that'll give you a good idea of the style and standard of quality of designs that make it.

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

Hey buddy! You're just like me one year ago. My earlier designs were CRAP. I had to learn. It took me about a year to get printed! Even now I submit some "cringe worthy" designs that I am embarrassed about. It's all about learning. When you create a design, think to yourself 1st) would I wear this? and 2nd) would anyone else wear this? If the answer is "no" to either, work on it some more!

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

Oh, sorry about not answering your question. I love doing work with pencil and paper too, but they don't always transfer well onto a shirt. Editing and adding effects can really spice it up. Look around here and on Society6 and you'll learn some of the tricks!

johnnyspeter

I am a self taught artist. I had no idea how to do Graphic art or design but i figured as an artist I Gotta keep up with the times so I bought myself a laptop, wacom tablet and programs and tought myself. I i'm still learning everyday! HANDS ON TRIAL AND ERROR, that's def the best way to learn.

spefreps

If you're an artist, can you possibly post some samples so we can guide you better?

jeannie.monicohunt

I am mostly a sculpture artist, reclaimed/found object sculpture. At the moment I make cardboard portraits. You can see some at my website that I just started building. www.jeanniemonico.artspan.com I am an emerging artist. I also love to draw but I am usually drawing with pencil and colored pencil. I am thinking that Jordan l bender is right and that the way I scan and prepare my pencil images may not be correct or good for printing. I will post my first attempt soon. When I look around many of the art looks completely computer drawn. I need some advice on taking my pencil/colored pencil drawings and preparing them for submission. Does marker work better? Watercolor? Or does computer drawn always print the best?

johnnyspeter

I Usually sketch my drawing by hand with ink and paper,make sure it looks clean and nice solid lines. When im ready I either scan it but usually just take a digital photo of it and import it on my computer. Than proceed to touch it up on the computer in my programs, add color, texture, whatever else.. but any medium works, pencil, ink, marker, paints.. whatever you like and are good at working with. You could even take a pic of one of your sculptures and use it.

jeannie.monicohunt

I have three images. I think I am going about this in several wrong ways but I need confirmation on this and to be lead in the correct direction. I think I might have the formatting wrong and probably the quality of the resolution. I scanned this from a colored pencil drawing and I don't think I am getting any of the image preparing correct. Also what is with the dimensions being 845x445, seems weird to me a lot of empty canvas space on the sides. Is this because you are supposed to put two images into one? Like the design and template together next to each other in one image? What do you think of the concept? What do you think of the drawing? Did I use too many colors? Also, how many colors are allowed? Are there rules like that for artworks submitted? I am trying to find out how I can improve. Is the colored pencil going to translate to a shirt. I drew my own shirt templates and put my image on them. Is that taboo in threadless? Is it better to always use their templates? Is drawing your own kind of hacky to do? Thanks for advance for your help.

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

love the texture through the brush, and yes, you can put both the design and the shirt together on one slide if you wish.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Jeannie, the artistry side of thing is very flexible and varied in terms of what gets printed. I think the more pertinent question we all need to ask is, are our works appropriate? Designing a tshirt is a bit like writing a story or a screenplay, you've got to relate to your audience and hook them in in the first few seconds. Often a great concept is all that's needed, and the quality of the art takes second place. Sometimes the opposite is true. I think however you go about creating the art, if you start with the following questions beforehand, you'll be on the right track. What do people like? What do they want to wear? Not so much what kind of art do I want to make today. At the end of the day, this is a commercial enterprise, albeit a very creative one.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

oh, and 300dpi is only hi res if it's at 100% scale. If it's 1 inch by 1 inch, it ain't gonna cut it.

No account?
Join Us