Animated GIF of my Mickey design

Take a Bow - Please vote here!

I didn't want to just put up a regular "please vote for me thread", so I thought I'd offer something a little different. At first I'd envisioned an animation from sketch phase all the way through to completion, but quickly realised I didn't have the capability or time to manage that, so I had to settle for tracking it's evolution in Illustrator and Photoshop.

All comments and votes welcome. I'll make certain to reciprocate to everyone who leaves a comment.

Hope you enjoy!

Watch this
Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

I already voted it, and thought it was one of the better designs for the challenge. nice to see a bit of the design progress in that gif!

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni

wow that's amazing dude! good job

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Love this! Good luck!!

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Sure, it's nothing magical... just a mix of the Mesh tool in Illustrator and a grain effect multiplied over the top.

dudeowl
dudeowl profile pic Alumni

awesome! did you do it the gif after or being the process? :)

melmike

Because I worked in Illustrator, it's really easy to just export the file as a Jpeg as you go. I did that every now and then, for instance after doing the head, or a hand etc. Like I mentioned, when I first thought of doing this, I reallywanted to start with the sketch on paper, but that would have meant stopping all the time to scan it which would have driven me crazy.

melmike

That being said, it would be just as easy to do this after finishing, just by progressively hiding bits of the illustration and exporting as a jpeg, all the way back until you've hidden the lot, then compile those jpegs into the GIF in reverse. You would have to remember what order you did the illustration in though.

dudeowl
dudeowl profile pic Alumni

it's nice!

melmike

Just uploaded this one to Tumbr. Anyone with an account, please feel free to reblog. Thanks!

[Tumblr Link]2

melmike

People have been asking for close ups of the other characters too, so here they are:

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

wow

No account?
Join Us