How do you spend your free time?

I use to play World of Warcraft for a couple of years, and Diablo 2 and recently 3. However I have just decided to recently stop playing, now I spend my free time drawing / looking for jobs and coding. I do admit I love video games and play occasionally on my Xbox 360, how do you fill up your free time?

Oh and I just finished my first "real" job which went great but was only a 3 week contract.

Watch this
jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni

brazzers

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

So many MMO's out there look like so much fun (really wanting to play the new FFXIV and Elder Scrolls Online) but I would never be able to justify spending so much time on one game. I spend more time with my handheld systems since I can pick those up and play for short bursts.

A majority of my free time is spent arting with a bit of crafts, reading and video games thrown in. :-)

What kind of coding work do you do?

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

lol at jeffreyg, ya I enjoy hand held games more myself now a days as you say you can pick it up in short bursts. I have recently gotten into front end development, I mostly enjoy doing HTML/ CSS and some JavaScript, I can do some PHP. I am a graphic designer at heart but recently really liking web design.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
alexmdc said:
jeffreyg said:

brazzers

lols

• art/design related stuff • Riding my bike. It's become very addicting.

StevenLefcourt
jeffreyg said:

brazzers

Theo86 said:

lol at jeffreyg, ya I enjoy hand held games more myself now a days...

I had a serious response until this happened. This. Is. Hilarious.

StevenLefcourt

League of Legends, Dota 2, Team Fortress 2 for games. I workout 5 days a week, and go for hikes from time to time. Do a lot of drawing and walking.

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

my friends got me into playing disc golf, which i used to/still kinda think is dumb, but its kinda fun and gets me outside. plus we usually play on the weekends which is the only time any of us have off

taz-pie

wankery

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

drawing / sculpting stuff / reading / computer games right now my favorite games are xcom, and my hubby bought me skyrim so I've been goofing off with that the last week.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

It's neat to see that there are plenty of sporty artists out there! It's getting to the point now to where natural light gives me pretty bad headaches, which is awful! Working from home turns you into a troll.

Web design is a very useful skill to have, Theo! I notice most design jobs require it.

TheArtistDude

Longboard.PS3.Garageband.Drawing.

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

I watch movies...but usually I'm working on art at the same time. I am horrible at focusing on only one thing!

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

Also - I've never been a gamer - it is such a HUGE timesuck. I think I have saved countless hours of my life not falling into that vortex...

johnnyspeter

I'm always doin art on the computer, i think i have a tumor in my brain from staring at this fuggin screen. I take breaks to watch Seinfeld.

pyr4lis

very true Chengui! but i have to be honest gaming has helped me learn to be more social if that makes any sense. (seems counter intuitive but it's true) People were not very nice to me in school and it caused me to withdraw from anyone. I feel like playing online games and doing quests that required teamwork and interacting with other people helped me build social skills that let me better interact with people I'd meet in college and such.

That said it is also super addictive for many people and a huge time sink. But I feel like it was a better use of my time than sitting around moping and feeling sorry for myself.

Now I prefer offline games that make me problem solve a bit. But I'll go for YEARS without touching a game.

Abstract Matter

I play League of Legends sometimes, not very often though, maybe 3 matches a week with my friend who's hooked on it.

I played guitar for around 9 years but I recently sold my guitar and amp selling my pedals and amp. I'll pick it up again in the future but it's not important to me right now, my parents were shocked hahaha.

Honestly? In my spare time I teach myself what my college doesn't (which is A LOT) and design, both 2D and 3D.

I used to freelance a lot but not anymore since the college work is piling up.

Abstract Matter

I also like going to networking events and stuff where I get to meet other like minded designers and have a few drinks and make some contacts. I enjoy live music too but... local bands here suck and I don't really go with anyone, just go by myself and meet people at the show. I don't like many people in my area if that wasn't obvious :P

skever

Throwing myself into concrete while skateboarding :D It's quite fun, I mean, it must be.. I've been doing it for 10 bloody years, haha!

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni
pyr4lis said:

very true Chengui! but i have to be honest gaming has helped me learn to be more social if that makes any sense. (seems counter intuitive but it's true) People were not very nice to me in school and it caused me to withdraw from anyone. I feel like playing online games and doing quests that required teamwork and interacting with other people helped me build social skills that let me better interact with people I'd meet in college and such.

That said it is also super addictive for many people and a huge time sink. But I feel like it was a better use of my time than sitting around moping and feeling sorry for myself.

Now I prefer offline games that make me problem solve a bit. But I'll go for YEARS without touching a game.

This is how I feel about video games as well. When I did play World of Warcraft for a couple of years it taught me how to be a part of a team and work with others, not to mention talking and being more social on ventrilo chat. I feel in some ways it has helped me better talking to people in interviews and on the phone.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

I mostly do this, or I try get outside and do some exercise. I used to play a lot of touch rugby - about 4 times a week - but i can't at the moment for health reasons so that's left a bit of a hole. I tend to avoid my Xbox at all costs as once I get stuck in, I can lose days to it! Otherwise I read ferociously, and I like to cook and bake - tomorrow I'm going to attempt my own hot cross buns!!!!!

pyr4lis

Yeah Theo :) Glad I'm not the only one heheh.. Also one of my friends got a job at Blizzard from playing WoW. So game playing benefited him too lol.

I do enjoy a good sweaty power yoga session as well. Honestly I like it so much I've been contemplating doing the teacher training. But the courses are really expensive and I don't feel like I'm "hot enough" to be yoga teacher material :P

lifeform987
lifeform987 profile pic Alumni

Before i play a lot of online fps games, now i am using my free time on 3d design, gardening and photography. But i still play video games 3-4 times a month.

Twiggyhall
Morkki said:

I stare at things until they burst into flames

Who doesn't?

When I'm not using my mind powers to cause things to spontaneously combust, I'm out with hubby & friends, at Sounders games, at the gym, drinking beer, watching hockey, sleeping, out with friends again, at the gym, drinking more beer - especially the foncy kind, more sleep.

I love living in the city and going out A LOT. And then after like 2 or 3 nights of that, I'll just crash, lol

I should really do more arts & crafty stuff, though...never enough time

Wow. That was long, haha, sorry :)

No account?
Join Us