Close
One second...

This might be a stupid QUESTION....

When creating pixel art in photoshop with 1px pencil does the size of the artwork need to be the size you want it on the shirt? or can they just stretch out a smaller image?

Watch this
d10n
d10n profile pic Alumni

don't make the artwork smaller than your planned size as scaling up in photoshop can degrade the image quality. design your art at a 1:1 scale -- that is, figure out your dimensions in mm/cm/inches (whatever your measure may be) and make your photoshop document to that size @300dpi before you start working.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

There is a way to scale up pixel art from a small file so that the one pixel becomes a solid larger square at a larger size in high res. I can't remember how to do it though.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

I think you need to turn "nearest neighbour" setting on so it won't interpolate the pixels, and resize only in even increments - 200%, 400%, etc. I'd google that though.

unicorndinosaurs
unicorndinosaurs profile pic Alumni
d10n said:

don't make the artwork smaller than your planned size as scaling up in photoshop can degrade the image quality. design your art at a 1:1 scale -- that is, figure out your dimensions in mm/cm/inches (whatever your measure may be) and make your photoshop document to that size @300dpi before you start working.

Everything I've read says to leave it in 72 dpi.... is that wrong? Thanks for the scale thing tho. Figured as much.

Goldendust

300dpi is for print, 72dpi is for web and screen. Go with print resolution for anything threadless except when making your presentation slide for voting.

unicorndinosaurs
unicorndinosaurs profile pic Alumni

o i know that i meant specifically with pixel art, but i guess that makes sense now that i think about it. thanks guys!

No account?