Close
One second...

How did you start?

Heyo!

As you may know, I am very new to the threadless community. I am currently a student looking forward to a career in the arts, and I am always searching for thriving creative communities to help me along the way. I have definitely found atmosphere in threadless.

Now comes the hard part.

How do I get started?
I have submitted one design so far, but I really want to get more involved in the everyday world of threadless. I guess I am simply looking for you to share your stories of how you got started with submitting designs, where you draw your inspiration, and what advice you have for a young, aspiring artist.

I am also looking to start to introduce myself to the community, because I have a feeling I will be here for a while ;)

Thanks ya'all,
Collin

Watch this
nickv47

Pretty broad sweeping question. Learn to draw. Learn to photoshop. Practice practice practice. Look at art.

GyleDesigns

My advice.

Draw in pen. It forces you to make decisions and think while you draw. You'll improve like crazy-- way faster than if you're practicing with pencil.

Try new things.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

And here's the kicker. I'll put it in bold so you don't miss it.

FAIL

Fail fast and fail often. If that voice in the back of your head DOESN'T say "This might not work," then you're not thinking big enough. Take risks.

Failing is one of the best ways to start.

Then once you've started, get awesome.

Best of luck, Collin! And welcome to Threadless!

badbasilisk

my advice: do what gyle said

taz-pie

my advice: eat lots of fiber. pooping is important yo.

francisco.lf

Do things that make you happy and inspire you to do more (You have the rest of your life to do flyers and banners).

Practice (whenever you can)

Submit even if you know you are going to fail (criticism makes you harder and able to support more criticism. The best way to learn is making mistakes)

Remember that art has no rules (There is always someone who is going to like your designs even if you think they are still "green")

Be different (think different and design different)

Never give up.

Be happy.

callmecollin

Thank you all for the advice. I will definitely work on developing my style and keep practicing.

One more question, though. I have been working with photoshop for about 3 years. Just simple photo touch-ups, nothing spectacular. I have been blown away by the amazing art present on Threadless. My question is if you guys have any suggest, apart from the tutorials provided on this site, of other places I can find tips and techniques for photoshop and illustrator. I feel like I am definitely lacking in the digital end of my art, and I don't want that to hold me back from doing well on this site or any other.

I will try to remember to poop regularly ;)

Thanks, Collin

No account?