Close
One second...

not sure why i was declined. i feel like i had a very strong submission. any idea on what i could change?

so, i'm not sure if I got declined because i didn't do something right or they just didn't like the design. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Watch this
taz-pie

Poeha

I don't get it. Who/what is it?

taz-pie

Fuckit. My comment cut off. It was

APRIL FOOLS 2013

awesomesmasher

it's john wayne with a woman's body.... @taz-pie i'm not asking for rating. i'm asking for help on what needs to be changed.

GyleDesigns

I think what it lacks is concept. Right now I look at this shirt and I ask, "why?"

Give it a concept. Then work from there.

awesomesmasher

really? i thought the concept was obvious. challenging gender roles by placing a traditional "masculine" man on the body of a "sexy" woman. questioning what I myself find attractive.

TheInfamousBaka

If that's the case, then I don't think the "Hey Pilgrim" text is necessary. It doesn't really add anything to the design. Also, Threadless is more about great concepts and amazing art, not so much about making people think about challenging gender roles. I don't think it's for this particular crowd.

Ryder
1 design submitted - Score now!

Honestly, there a multiple issues with this design. I'd just start with something new because i don't see anything successful here. However, if you're going to continue with it... here's some quick fixes i'd do if i were you:

1) get rid of text 2) fix bottom of figure so it's not just "cut off" 3) Too much PINK 4) Concept is vague and irrelevant to anything

AlanBao

You have to remember that this is a t-shirt site, not an art gallery. If gender roles is an issue you're genuinely passionate about exploring, it should be explored in and of itself, for its own sake. When you put it on a tee, it either comes off as pretentious (are you really expecting to challenge gender roles with a drawing on a t-shirt?) or devalued (you're reducing this socially-charged issue to a mass-produced tee?)

There's nothing wrong with thinking about these challenging social concepts - but once you mix it in with t-shirts, marketing and (especially) a $2000 prize money, and then it just comes off as pretentious and dishonest.

Also, the drawing's kinda ugly.

awesomesmasher

great concepts/amazing art and challenging the thoughts of the viewer... i'm pretty sure some of the best art does this. not that mine is "the best art" i've seen plenty of threadless designs that are completely devoid of concept. Unless you count HIP as a concept. maybe i'm just butt-hurt. Really... i was just looking to see if i did something wrong in the submission process. I added the "Hey Pilgrim" because i thought the bust just ending was slightly abrupt and the wording IS relevant.

taz-pie

aww don't be butt hurt! try something else!

Ryder

those designers who don't focus on concept tend to spend all their energy in the visual look of the design. your image looks traced.

opifan64

What reasons were given in the email notification? If I remember correctly you can't use a celebrity's image in your design, so that might be one reason it was declined.

Poeha

I had to look up who John Wayne was. I saw that most of his films never actually came out here. That could also be something to take in mind, since threadless is quite global it could cost you votes, since that for a lot of people it's just this creepy old man with an fetish for derssing up in women's clothes.

awesomesmasher

hmm. well. maybe threadless isn't for me. thanks for everyone's input.

[+duracell-]

Just work on something people would pay money to wear. Tranny John Wayne is not one of those things. No point in trying to force it. Just take a deep breath, drink a juice box, and contemplate your next idea.

k-mano

I think that I want you to try it in various ways. My favorite product designer lectured. He prepared new cup and vase and chamber pot. He poured the water of the same quantity from a plastic bottle. "Which container do you want to drink it with?" All the members chose the cup. A designer "All the containers are beautiful newly, and are containers only different?" All the members were troubled. There is why here. I think that it is the same as a T-shirt design. And the designer lectured successively. "What kind of design is necessary to feel anyone to be delicious?" I replace this with a T-shirt, and why don't you think? am glad if I show your answer again.

k-mano

I am glad if I show your answer again.

mechanicalrobotpower
awesomesmasher said:

1. not that mine is "the best art"

2. i've seen plenty of threadless designs that are completely devoid of concept. Unless you count HIP as a concept.

3. maybe i'm just butt-hurt.

4. I added the "Hey Pilgrim" because i thought the bust just ending was slightly abrupt and the wording IS relevant.

1. Correct.

2. HIP is a concept, ..there's a wide variety of people who shop for shirts here, ..you need to capture as many of them as possible.

3. Correct.

4. Ending it creatively, and not just patching it up is a thousand times better, ..if everyone just slapped (not entirely relevant) text over the not so great parts of their composition, ..this place would be hellish.

mechanicalrobotpower
awesomesmasher said:

5. i thought the concept was obvious.

6. challenging gender roles by placing a traditional "masculine" man on the body of a "sexy" woman. questioning what I myself find attractive.

1. I see it first as terrible comedy, ..slapping tits on The Duke, ..immediately unfunny.

2. This isn't high-school art class, ..this is a place that sells great, solid designs, executed well, to EVERYBODY

GyleDesigns
k-mano said:

I think that I want you to try it in various ways. My favorite product designer lectured. He prepared new cup and vase and chamber pot. He poured the water of the same quantity from a plastic bottle. "Which container do you want to drink it with?" All the members chose the cup. A designer "All the containers are beautiful newly, and are containers only different?" All the members were troubled. There is why here. I think that it is the same as a T-shirt design. And the designer lectured successively. "What kind of design is necessary to feel anyone to be delicious?" I replace this with a T-shirt, and why don't you think? am glad if I show your answer again.

As an instructor of product design myself, I can vouch for the correctness of this.

k-mano
GyleDesigns said:
k-mano said:

I think that I want you to try it in various ways. My favorite product designer lectured. He prepared new cup and vase and chamber pot. He poured the water of the same quantity from a plastic bottle. "Which container do you want to drink it with?" All the members chose the cup. A designer "All the containers are beautiful newly, and are containers only different?" All the mhere is why here. I think that it is the same as a T-shirt design. And the designer lectured successively. "What kind of design is necessary to feel anyone to be delicious?" I replace this with a T-shirt, and why don't you think? am glad if I show your answer again.

As an instructor of product design myself, I can vouch for the correctness of this.

It makes me very happy for you to say that for me.

digsy

i don't see gender challenging concepts, I see tranvestite John Wayne for no reason whatsoever - what you're trying to show just isn't obvious enough and if you take the confused concept away and that artwork isn't strong enough to stand on it's own either. Try not to overthink things - Its not that Threadless isn't the place for dramatic sweeping statements about the state of the world - there are plenty of shirts out there that make you think twice about certain issues - but they're normally done in a funny or clever or beautiful way or, in the best cases, using all three.

An example would be some of the really clever environmental/green themed shirts like this and this. These shirts have a message but they're portayed in a far more accessible way either through humour and great artwork as in the first example, or a simple but excellent concept as in the second example.

If you've absolutely got your heart set on addressing gender roles then try to rethink the idea completely with these examples in mind. What can you do to make it more amusing, or more cleverly approached, and ultimately more appealing to a mass audience, because at the moment unfortunately, john wayne cross dressing isn't it.

d3d

i like it. it's essentially making fun of a macho stereotype. it would piss off rednecks and that interests me. only problem is the linework looks pretty cheap and weak, and the text cutting it off straight across the bottom looks bad.

robman22

One thing that you can easily start with is adding more contrast. I feel that it is too pink. Either have the shirt a different color or use darker/different colors on wayne. Just using various shades of pink doesn't do well with the eyes. I get the concept, it can be good but you just have to keep working on it to get there. I'm no professional by any means, but just my thoughts after viewing your shirt.

quick-brown-fox
3 designs submitted - Score now!

John Wayne's real name was Marion Morrison. Marion is a girls name. That is all.

Musarter
d3d said:

i like it. it's essentially making fun of a macho stereotype. it would piss off rednecks and that interests me. only problem is the linework looks pretty cheap and weak, and the text cutting it off straight across the bottom looks bad.

This.

Wharton
2 designs submitted - Score now!

This looks like a very hastily put together piece of work and I'm not sure the overall concept was thought through very well. I don't think you're really trying to generate a serious dialogue about gender issues, it looks like you've just been playing around in photoshop and decided to place a 'concept' on it at a later date.

It seems strange that you've used any female body for the figure and not the body of say, Marilyn Monroe or Angelina Jolie, which would be a female archetype (seeing as you're using a male archetype). Its almost as if the female part has been relegated and isn't as important, which sort of defeats the purpose of your 'art'.

I'm really not sure how 'Hey pilgrim' is at all relevant.

I think these sort of threads get so many responses because its so frustrating when someone rocks up braying about their work, which clearly has little technique or concept behind it, but if you slap the word 'art' on it, it elevates it beyond criticism.

JEPARTY

I like the idea because I think it is very funny. I feel the 'hey pilgrim' line is necessary here because to me, it's sorta like the punch-line to your joke. It also helps to make people aware that is John Wayne because that is perhaps his most identifiable phrase, at least in my mind.

My main criticism is that the art work could be a bit stronger and use of a curvier, sexier female torso could make the design even funnier. I like an earlier commenters suggestion to use Marilyn Monroe's torso. Especially since she is from about the same era as John Wayne. I feel spending more time and getting more detailed on the artwork would really help this design.

However, while I think your idea is pretty funny, I'm not sure it is something many people would want to wear on a shirt. I know I wouldn't. I feel this is the biggest issue with your submission. At the end of the day, would this be a t shirt that would sell? Maybe I'm wrong here. I certainly think its a funny concept. Maybe this should be a women's t shirt?

The final issue I see is that a lot of the younger generation may not even know who JW is. So, your audience and potential customer base may be further limited by this fact. However, I think this is a very minor issue.

Overall, I feel it was a good try. A funny idea that could be even funnier and more visually appealing if you spend more time developing the artwork. unfortunately, it just may not sell in my opinion.

Wharton
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Dude, you're like over a month late critiquing, theres nothing but tumbleweeds and old butts in here. This artist is long gone I'd imagine.

jamesnotjim

@wharton haha awesome!

johnnysPeter

Lol, yeah by now this artist is hiding like a Hermit crab

JEPARTY

Oh, damn, I didn't notice that. It's my first day on this site so its all new stuff to me. I didn't even notice the dates. I was just going through the threads trying to learn as much as possible and I'm doing all this on my phone, which doesn't help much. Thanks for the heads up.

Wolfgang8885

This is just great! I read this whole thread cuz it was bumped up, and now its just old news! WASTE OF TIIIIIIIIIME!!!!

:/

jamesnotjim

dont worry i did the same thing too haha!

No account?