Close
One second...

Has this been done already? (that's not even the question anymore)

Rough sketch, obviously, but before I go any further with it: has it been done already? I know lightning bolts have been done a vagillion times but how about this particular twist? Or does it just look too much like some other design?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
DRO72

i like this, but i like the word "vagillion" even better...

BeanePod

I like hats but I never wear them. Also, I like this....proceed.

EZFL

but, whats greater than vagillion?

sub it

Morkki

I blame taz-pie for popularizing vagillion!

I swear I spend more time researching old designs than making new ones. Anyway, I found this one by biotwist. It's a different concept but in similar colors.

TheInfamousBaka

I think yours is a different take and Threadless sure does love printing lightning bolts.

GyleDesigns

I'd say it's different enough.

littlem

dooooo itttttttt

narwhals14

I triple dog dare ya!

EN AJUSTES

Awesome, I dig it!

ibyes

I don't know, it kind of looks like a rip off of this.

nickv47

reminds me of the chest lightning bolt of the DC character Shazam/Captain Marvel but is different enough to not be copyright infringement. I saw murraymullet do a lightning bolt with the same sort of shape a while back, but it wasn't recessed into the earth like your design.

evyc

I say sub it!

Morkki
ibyes said:

I don't know, it kind of looks like a rip off of this.

Oh noooo! Maybe if I add Michael Jordan in there?

OK thank you everyone, I'll carry on with this. I'm thinking this would look nice on red too. Maybe?

melmike
1 design submitted - Score now!

hehehe... vagillion.

I say go for it! Maybe flip it though? Don't know why, but to me, it feels like the pointy end should be on the left.

melmike

p.s. Your black hole tee is so good! I'm definitely including it with my next round of purchases.

BeanePod

Red...cause mars wants lightning too.

Morkki
melmike said:

hehehe... vagillion.

I say go for it! Maybe flip it though? Don't know why, but to me, it feels like the pointy end should be on the left.

I actually drew it that way intentionally. Because for some reason nearly all lightning bolt designs point to left. It's strange!

druff

cool idea. art needs work.

ibyes

I dig it for real, looks great so far.

littlem

there's something off about it. the point going toward the right is fine, but

the whole right bolt 'terrace should be shifted slightly up/left. so you know what i mean? so it's more staggered?

Morkki
littlem said:

there's something off about it. the point going toward the right is fine, but

the whole right bolt 'terrace should be shifted slightly up/left. so you know what i mean? so it's more staggered?

Yes, I know what you mean. The basic shape needs fixing because the whole bolt is a little too thin like that. But I'm redrawing the whole thing now!

littlem

I knew you'd tweak your bolt!

Morkki
*blushes*
*explodes*
Ryder

i did this design 1 hour before you, sorry. it's mine now. please send .eps file to freeburritos@rydermachomandoty.edu

Morkki

I'll just send you the prize money as a giant cardboard check!

Some new ink. And when I say ink I mean pixels.

TheInfamousBaka

Love it! That angle is good stuff. Mock up time! :-D

littlem

is there a way you can make it look like the 'fade out' is deeper? i can't explain what i see in my head... i think you will be able to visualize what i'm thinking of.

Morkki

I'm not a psychic! Or do you mean the fadeout should be more gradual? Because it definitely should be. Right now it ends a little too abruptly making it sort of look like there's a black floor, while it should be bottomless darkness. Maybe I am a psychic! Anyway, it also needs some of that highlighting from the sketch.

I started this with the Power Tank contest in mind but now I'm wondering if I should just sub it in general. I slapped it on one of xiv's sweet templates to see how it would look on a hoody:

Ryder

yes for bottomless pit...

i also kind of want to see some sort of figure standing at the edge, so we have some perspective of how big this thing actually is...

BeanePod

Crotch Bolt!

Morkki

Hmmmmmm. I don't know about adding anything besides the bolt itself. My original idea wasn't really to convey any kind of scale. It's just a hole left behind by a lightning bolt shaped object, like what would happen in a cartoon universe where lightning bolts were actual physical objects shaped like that and what kind of craters they would leave when they struck the ground. My vision was to make it look more like a hole in the shirt than a scene.

BeanePod said:

Crotch Bolt!

NO U

littlem

you read my mind!!!!!!!!

ibyes

I think you achieved the hole in the shirt look, it's a nice illusion. This could very well print.

Ryder

when i first saw it i was like, OH DAAAANG, that shirt got struck by lightning and is also made of thick stone... and the lightning hit the shirt SIDEWAYS and left a looney tunes like impression when it landed like Wiley Coyote! DAAAAANG

Morkki

OK ok okay guys dang guys dang dang

Added highlights, did some subtle things to the fadeout, mocked up a couple of quickies. I think I might be just about done.

ecsu

the one on the red wit the yellow highlights. that's a winner.

BeanePod

Hello, I am question. You no like me anymore.....

• Question eats pimento cheese sandwich while sobbing in corner

Also...YES RED!

ibyes

Looks awesome, that's printing. Looks great on the hoody.

TheInfamousBaka

RED! Can definitely see this getting a print.

BlancaJP

pretty cool dude - thumbs up :)

badbasilisk

yeah - do it on red ;-)

Shadyjibes

wow! this looks RAD!

unicorndinosaurs

hoodie looks sick. red looks awesome too. sweeeet

littlem

red hot

Page: