Close
One second...

Outer Space and Screen Printing…?

Hi folks, I'm working on a design featuring cosmic stuff and I'm having questions about how to make it print ready for screen printing. Usually I always prep. my designs so that each color is separated on one layer. Sometimes it's quite painful since that in order to do that some features, like blurry or semi transparent shit have to be standard half-toned, or when basing yourself on a picture, use simulated process techniques, bitmap, mesh etc. But I've seen subs here that don't look like they use that process, looking like photos which makes me wonder if some of you just send their artwork without minding about color separation? Any tips. Below a sample of what I mean. By the way does any one have a clue about the best mesh size for threadless screen prints? Merci mucho!

Watch this
Poeha
Poeha profile pic Alumni

Watching this. I am wondering this too.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

I have never been printed but I was under the impression that Threadless would deal with process seps. I did a space design once and I had no idea how I would have separated it; although I usually account for seps in most of my designs.

I would like to know about the mesh too. Knowing the proper bit-map dpi would be helpful; someone told me 45 but I think it could be higher.

Demented
Demented profile pic Alumni

For stuff like this I'd say it's logical to let the art-wizards at Threadless figure out exactly how to separate it. They know their printer best, what screensize they use, how they separate colors of a fullcolor design, etc.

v.calahan
v.calahan profile pic Alumni

@Musarter : As far as mesh is concerned, when I use it, I pick 30 but you are probably right can be higher? @Demented : well dunno, I know simulated process is a… process Threadless doesn't use often and I feel staff wouldn't be very pleased with a one layer .psd file? I always spend time making designs screen print ready and sometimes I feel it sorta lowers the quality of the design, especially when working with stuff like a space background, transparency effects, blurry stuff…

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
Demented said:

let the art-wizards at Threadless figure out exactly how to separate it. They know their printer best, what screensize they use, how they separate colors of a fullcolor design, etc.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
v.calahan said:

Oh and for those asking themselves about simulated process, this tutorial is perfect!

Noooo! That is process, not simulated process :)

The big difference is that process uses translucent CMYK inks, simulated process uses opaque inks of pretty much any color.

Morkki
1 design submitted -

I found this gif demonstrating how complicated sim process can be:

That's 8 screens total

v.calahan

Awww me suck… thx Morkki, I think I got it, so actually going through the same process but by leaving layers in normal mode (opaque), and using any color not just CMYK, it's "simulated", in multiply mode and CMYK it's classic process? Regarding the art-wizards, I still don't know if they would be ok with receiving a single layered file to work on, I'd be fine with that though!

v.calahan

That is sweet n' instructive Morkki. So what some seem to say is that you can send a one layered file, as long a s it has a transparent background, like below, and the wizards do their magic? (Actually I used halftones on this, so I have it in "separated" layers as well)

Morkki
1 design submitted -

This is what speedyjoe wrote in a blog a few years ago: "Simulated process: Now with simulated process prints (more than 8 colors) You can send us a flat file. We would prefer you didnt and just sent us a file with all the layer. You can send us a file that is flat, but try to at least get it separated from the background."

Morkki
1 design submitted -

Yeah, if you keep the layers it will at least be easier to select the right colors for printing.

v.calahan

The layered version has 4 color layers so I guess I'll keep it that way then. Just wondring about how small a dot they can actually print. Thx a bunch again Morkki for the tips.

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

Nice buddy

No account?