Your favorite films/filmmakers

Hey guys. Knowing that a lot of tee artists draw inspiration from pop culture and movies, what films/filmmakers do you like? I personally like the work of Stanley Kubrick (Paths of Glory, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining), Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle), Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather trilogy), David Fincher (Seven, The Game, Fight Club), and many others. What about you?

Watch this
opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

You made some good picks. Those are some of my favorite directors too. I'd throw Kurosawa in there as well (Seven Samurai, Rashoman, Ikiru). Also, the Coen brothers (Fargo, No Country for Old Men).

otrom
otrom profile pic Alumni

Takeshi Kitano is another japanese director i truly like, along with Kurosawa. Wes Anderson is a favorite as well as i love every single thing he did.

Farnell
Farnell profile pic Alumni

QBF you are right. Shane Meadows is awesome, Dead Man Shoes is just the best film and Paddy Consindine is amazing

mister.o

I've got to check Shane Meadows out because I've never heard of the guy. Kurosawa is a master and so is Ozu. Takeshi Kitano is insane. I've seen "Brother" which was ok, but his most famous role was in Battle Royale I think, which is Tarantino's favorite film of the 90s. Wes Anderson has a world of his own and a visual style that's widely copied. My favorite film of his is The Royal Tenenbaums, although a lot seem to prefer Rushmore. Scorsese named him his heir in one of his interviews. Paul Thomas Anderson is also very good and he's constantly evolving, but his latest, The Master, left a lot to be desired. Can you guys recommend some obscure indie flicks? I'd like to check out some hidden gems.

otrom
otrom profile pic Alumni

you should really watch: Dolls and Hana-bi, by Takeshi as well. he really show how amazing director he is on those.

as for obscure indie flicks, i'd really like recommendations myself. hahahha try and watch Jadorowski's "Holy Mountain" and "Stalker" by "Tarkovski".

couple of favorite of mine. kinda freak-ish, but you asked for it.

opifan64

The Sacrifice, and Solaris by Tarkovski are good too.

High and Low is a lesser known Kurosawa film that's really good. It was the basis of the Mel Gibson film Ransom (or at least they were both shared the same source material). It's not a typical Kurosawa film which makes it kind of interesting. It's a police procedural basically, but very well made. The main actor went on to star on "Ran" years later.

opifan64

If you havent seen them already I'd also recommend The Lives of Others, Primer, Headhunters (Norweigan I think, but available on Netflix) Eclipse by Michelangelo Antonioni, The Tenant by Roman Polanski, The City of Lost Children.

mister.o

I'm going to check out all of your recommendations for sure (already seen The Lives of Others, which I really liked, and City of Lost Children, which is warped). I've also got to catch up on Tarkovsky because he's up there with Bergman and Kurosawa. What about tv series, what do you guys like? I'm a big fan of the old Twilight Zone and The Wire (which is the best tv series of all time in my opinion).

opifan64

Yeah, big fan of those two shows. As far as recent shows, Breaking Bad is hard to beat. It's just amazing. I also like Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones.

mister.o

Is it true Breaking Bad is as good as The Wire?

Abstract Matter

I'm a huge fan of the Bourne movies. I liked the fourth one too, albeit nowhere near as much as the first three with Damon.

opifan64

Breaking Bad is probably my favorite show ever, but it comes down to personal taste. The Wire was terrific.

Goldendust

I'm the worst at remembering films I like. Sit me down in front of a period drama and I'll be happy.

mister.o

@Abstract Matter: As far as adrenaline-pumping action flicks are concerned, the Bourne trilogy ranks pretty high because it was clever. The third was the best in my opinion. I haven't seen the Renner one yet. @opifan64: I'm going to watch Breaking Bad for sure. I also think the way it's shot is really cool (I remember the POV compilation on vimeo). @heykimby: So you like Jane Austen/Bronte sister classics. I like films that take their time to establish a setting and a mood, you don't find a lot of those anymore.

otrom
otrom profile pic Alumni

breaking bad may be the greatest tv show i've ever seen. I'm with Opi on this one. i'd recommend a lot of weird animes...

Monster, Serial Experiments Lain, FLCL, Video Girl Ai, Kemonozume, PARANOIA AGENT & The Tatami Galaxy.

These are one of the greatest, weirdest and life changing animes i've ever seen. They beat every single conceptual movie i layed my eyes one.

mister.o

@ecsu: I have Monster but I haven't seen it yet. For me, I need to get into a specific mood to be invested in a new series, it's not like a film where I just need to spend 2 hours or so on. I saw Deathnote and although the first 2 or 3 episodes were cool, overall I thought it was juvenile. I haven't heard of the other stuff you named (lol). Speaking of anime (films), have you seen "Grave of the Fireflies" by Isao Takahata? There's also Perfect Blue by Satoshi Kon, who Darren Aronofsky "borrows" heavily from.

otrom
otrom profile pic Alumni

These are actually short series, 15 ep's tops. And i guarantee it will be worth it. I've watched "Grave of the Fireflies", man... and sort of regret it. It's the most heartbreaking thing i've ever seen, it's just so so so sad. It makes me sad just thinking about. Perfect Blue is really good too, creepy yet awesome.

If you haven't hear about 'em, please, go after. As I said, i guarantee you it will be worth it.

Lostsignal

Christopher Nolan. Loved his Batman trilogy, Memento, Inception and my personal favorite Prestige

mister.o

@ecsu: Grave of the Fireflies was devastating. Simply one of the best war films of all time. I already bookmarked the stuff you recommended. We will discuss them as soon as I've seen them. Are you familiar with Andrew Dominik? He directed "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and "Killing Them Softly". His debut film, "Chopper", was really good. Another amazing debut (amazing stuff) is Steve McQueen's Hunger, starring Michael Fassbender. Terrific film. @Lostsignal: What's cool about Christopher Nolan is that he directs cerebral action films. I loved Prestige, although a lot of people say it's too complex and bloated for its own good. The overall mood was amazing (the kind of creepy I'm fond of), and the Tesla scenes were wonderful.

opifan64

"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" was great. I loved the overall mood and the cinematography by Roger Deakins. The train robbery is one of the most beautifully shot sequences I've ever seen. I liked Hunger a lot too, although it was unremittingly grim. Prestige was a lot of fun.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Most my favorites have been mentioned already but I will add Alfonso CuarĂ³n, for Children of Men alone, and Terry Gilliam for his work pre-2000s. The Coen brothers are probably my current favorites at the moment.

As far as TV shows go it is a matter of taste. Breaking Bad is probably the best high tension Drama right now. Mad Men, once you get into it, is a really good straight-up drama. Dexter is still one of the best thrillers around. I had not heard much about Sons of Anarchy, I watched a couple seasons of it and its is actually really solid too. Walking Dead is hit and miss; some episodes are really good and others are meh.

I will have to watch this blog for good suggestions.

mister.o

I agree. "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" was beautifully shot and the train robbery scene is one of the most memorable scenes of the decade. "Children of Men" is one of my top favorite films of all time. Amazing mood, amazing cinematography. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu ("Babel", "21 grams", "Biutiful", ..) and Guillermo Del Toro ("Pan's Labyrinth" and the much-anticipated "Pacific Rim") are also amazing Mexican directors. There was a time when I would tell you that Terry Gilliam was really good but now I don't really think so. "Brazil" was groundbreaking but to me, mind-numbingly boring. "Tideland" is just creepy (little girl is a perfect mix of creepy and annoying). You guys should check out John Hillcoat's "The Proposition". Love that movie.

opifan64

There was a time when I would tell you that Terry Gilliam was really good but now I don't really think so.

I'd have to agree, sadly. I loved Brazil as well so I'm still hoping he has a comeback at some point. I thought 21 Grams was amazing, as well as Children of Men, and Pan's Labyrinth. I watched The Proposition recently on Netflix and thought it was excellent. A very fresh take on the Western genre with great acting and a convincingly gritty mood.

mister.o

Sometimes I rewatch old classics, especially Frank Capra's, because I want to take a break from all the cynicism/nihilism that is characteristic of most modern movies. Does anybody here like documentaries? I recently watched "War Photographer" and it was very powerful. It's the sort of movie that makes you want to be a better person.

opifan64

I love documentaries. The last one I watched was Searching For Sugarman, which I highly recommend.

I'll see if I can find War Photographer anywhere.

mister.o

I googled Dupieux and I realized that he was the guy who did Rubber. The man is insane.

mister.o

which reminds me, Chris Cunnigham should do a feature film..

FiCan

One filmmaker I adore is John Hughes. So many iconic films from the 80s and 90s when I was growing up and I had no idea they were all made by the same guy until I was in my late teens. The Breakfast Club is one of my all time favourites.

FiCan

One filmmaker I adore is John Hughes. So many iconic films from the 80s and 90s when I was growing up and I had no idea they were all made by the same guy until I was in my late teens. The Breakfast Club is one of my all time favourites.

FiCan

Naww double post!

mister.o

@ FiCan: John Hughes deserves a double post, doesn't he?

FiCan

Absolutely! :)

No account?
Join Us