Close
One second...

Why do the Threadless forums SUCK?

Threadless users are plain mean to noobs. They do not comment and help the people who need it the most, and there are threads by newbies that are days, even weeks old, who get little to no answers while the threads by old users get replies right away. On top of that, we find ***holes who complain about noobs asking for help and promoting their stuff. Threadless is now an elitist community that is too vain and conceited for its own good. It needs to change its game or its going to shrivel up and die.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
cogigoc

I understand where you're coming from... However, most of their questions can be readily found in blogs - just search for it! We are people too and need to attend to our days jobs, and by the looks of it, everyone is busy nowadays.

Also, I disagree with you - the threadless community is a helpful bunch!

taz-pie

fuck you noob

taz-pie

haha just kidding :D

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I think the problem older members have with newer ones is (I can only speak for myself here) that so many of them submit one or two crappy subs that you try and help them out with, they get upset about the feedback or score they receive and then they leave and never come back. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

After the first ten times or so of this you wonder why you bother. Sometimes the work is so bad theres no point offering any advice to the noob because if they can't draw and they can't think of a good idea, then nobody else can do that for them.

QuoteStephanie

Where does one find ALL the design challenges posted. I am interested in trying & can't seem to find where they are listed. Thanks. (In regards to helping others I think one should never tire as for what the originator said for therein the community shall not grow & thusly stagnate.)

Wharton

Theres only so many times you can offer help to people who then disappear or become frustrated and resentful. Nobody is employed to improve new members work and why should people automatically expect others to bend over backwards to help them?

This is what you're after

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

Sometimes the work is so bad theres no point offering any advice to the noob because if they can't draw and they can't think of a good idea, then nobody else can do that for them.

This. We're not art teachers, or at least most of us aren't. When people come asking why their work was declined the reason usually is that their work is still years away from being up to the par.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Go to "make" and then submit - all challenges listed there

As for original post I pretty much ditto what Wharton said. Also, a lot noobies don't really contribute in any other ways - they pop in, demand help or votes and leave again. The reason you see older members with lots of responses is because they contribute across the forums - they chat socially and help professionally and therefore people are willing to help back. Also as experienced members they're opinion has more weight so again people are likely to seek it out and respond in kind. Plenty of news could become meaningful members, but they need to give it time and work at it.

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

They do not comment and help the people who need it the most, and there are threads by newbies that are days, even weeks old, who get little to no answers while the threads by old users get replies right away.

I think this will get better when the critiques section is back up, so noobs will get some more feedback. Also, if there are so many noobs (that don't get their threads answered), why don't I see them giving more critiques/comments on other blogs? Its like they don't participate in the whole 'community' thing...

mister.o

I think noobs are going to suffer anyway because it's part of the filtering process. Did you ever see an online community which fully attends to the needs of noobs? Although I hear Wharton and agree with the guy, I also think that some noobs have potential and should be encouraged. Ignoring them breeds hostility, which would be detrimental on the long run. Plus, no one is asking anyone to bend backwards here.. After all, if old members won't help, who will? In the same token, noobs should also stick around and follow through to become more and more experienced.. Most of them just want something instantaneous which is why they tend to be impatient. You need to invest time in order to become familiar.

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Do you think i like my work from 5 years ago? It FUCKING SUCKED. MAJOR donkey ass. Threadless is one of the main reasons i've been pushing myself harder and harder every day, i just kept on working so that i'd have some recognition for what i do in here.

So i can be a least "close" in professionalism and quality as the peeps that you are calling asswipes.

And i second everyone that wrote something up here.

hershel

"spefreps

aka Spiffy spefreps has scored 0 submissions, giving an average score of 0.00, helping 0 designs get printed."

it´s puff-puff, give...always

taz-pie

my favourite is when a noob creates an account, spends 5 minutes on a shitty design, spams their submission, cries when it is declined or obliterated in voting, and then comes and rants on the blog when they are upset. then they piss off into the sunset. yup, that is my favourite

spefreps
taz-pie said:

haha just kidding :D

taz-pie said:

fuck you noob

hey taz-pie, suck on it. nahh, just kidding (^-^)

Although it's true that a lot of noob work is really crappy and that you are right when you say that you can't be expected to bend backwards for someone you don't know, I still don't agree with all of you. I don't think Threadless is what it used to be. I know it's always been a business, but the "community" thing could still be felt before. Now it's just.. a business. Old members get the most attention, and fuck the noobs. Some of those who commented here are just using this thread to come off as nice and cute even though they are probably suffering from the same thing I described earlier. I don't know if Mantichore is right about when the critique section is up everybody will suddenly be all helpful again.

hershel said:

"spefreps

aka Spiffy spefreps has scored 0 submissions, giving an average score of 0.00, helping 0 designs get printed."

it´s puff-puff, give...always

Sherlock, if you can't tell that this is an account made for venting, then I'm sorry but I can't do anything for you. I will start scoring though, so don't lose any sleep over it.

hershel

I thought your name was saying "Spliffy Spefreps".....

my fault.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

I think in general the community aspect of Threadless is kind of dying a slow death. The blogs are stagnant and don't have the same spirit as they did a few years back. I don't really know what to attribute this to. As for noobs, you kind of get back what you put in, as others have pointed out.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

This is one of the more helpful comunities ever.

That said, the site has been having problems since it change from the new to the old, also spam has been crazy, so a lot of people have been away from the blogs.

Also, it doesn't helo that sometime when we do try to help a noob he or she just ignore our comments anyway.

Regardless, there are plenty of people always trying to help the noobs.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

I've killed many newb blogs with actual useful (I hope) feedback, so sometimes it feels pretty pointless. Many of them don't want to hear the truth and actual critique, they want "Oh, I have no idea why that got rejected, it's so good!". This is a great community, which I admit isn't what it used to be back in 2007-2009, but I think that's mostly because the members that contributed the most have moved on since then. But nonetheless, there is still a great group here and I have learned so much by hanging around. Being a noob was tough, but if you are willing to listen and joke around a bit, fitting in is not that difficult.

Making a new account just to vent seems a little silly to me.

MadKobra
MadKobra profile pic Alumni
soloyo said:

This is one of the more helpful comunities ever.

That said, the site has been having problems since it change from the new to the old, also spam has been crazy, so a lot of people have been away from the blogs.

Also, it doesn't helo that sometime when we do try to help a noob he or she just ignore our comments anyway.

Regardless, there are plenty of people always trying to help the noobs.

i second that., totally true

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

You've also got to remember that all these old members were noobs once too so instead if complaining it might be more constructive to try find out what they did back then that helped them progress and become more established members

Wharton

'Abstract matter' is a perfect example of a noob trying to genuinely fit in and be part of the community. Instead of whining about no attention noobs should introduce themselves, feedback and help come second place to getting to know someone. If you're new you have to stick out your neck a little and get stuck in.

ivanrodero

I thought this was all about suction and vacuums... Boy, was I mislead...

veciocoldobro

I'm pretty new here, I've registered a year ago, but I started hanging around only in the last months. I think people are fairly great here, depends on your attitude: if someone knows his present limits, critiques will be only seen as positive advice upon which you can improve yourself. I mean, I'm no professional designer, but I have fun drawing and challenging myself and stuff. I'm aware of this, so I'm well open to the negative strikes (even taz-pie's destructive hammer of doom :D) and in peace with the idea of my future crushing in the threadwars (God, why I decided to participate?)

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
opifan64 said:

I think in general the community aspect of Threadless is kind of dying a slow death. The blogs are stagnant and don't have the same spirit as they did a few years back.

In some ways this is true in others it is not. These days there are more serious design based blogs because there is no Critique section and, let's face it, the Critique section never got much response anyway. In the past there were more fun, frivolous, and time wasting blogs to keep up with which spurred more of a non-designer community. I was a noob back in those days and it took a long time feel like I fit in with those folks.

I have been here a while, contribute often, give design feedback (if I think it will help), and post blogs. It is still hard to get much feedback; it is the nature of the internet, you cannot brow-beat people into commenting on your blog. It can be discouraging when you see some designers get 50 comments on a WIP blog when you get maybe 2 or 3. I say screw-it take the comments you can get and hopefully they help. If not, just do your thing and move one.

taz-pie

Haha vecio! lol @ destructive hammer of doom! :P

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

heh, the age-old issue :)

1. I ditto what Eric said, mostly. The forum has been kinda deadish since the switch to the new site. It bums me out too. I personally used to spend aeons on here running around and giving advice/ random chitchat wherever I could, but at the moment life is catching up with me and I'm barely finding the time to peek in. That said, the place feels so sluggish now compared to a year or two ago. Still, as Tiff and others have pointed out, there are some wonderful people still here, and I value their company.

2. noobs definitely get what they give, and it's not an instantaneous thing. We've all been burned by the 'I just want everyone to immediately tell me I'm awesome and I want Threadless to print my first sub and if it doesn't then you all suck and don't know what real art is' sort of newbs. 'Good' newbs will make it over time - part of being a good newb is having patience. It took me a year or two to start feeling like I belong, and that was back in the 'old days', whatever the hell that is.

3. nobody is responsible for your learning. The advice I've given newbs most often is 'LOOK AT THE STUFF THAT HAS ACTUALLY PRINTED'. They shouldn't need me to tell them that. Watching and learning and reading the criticism given to other people is a great way to grow as an artist. Most newbs seem to think that the only way they can make progress is if a ton of us flocks to their piece and tells them how to make it awesome. But nobody can tell you how to make it awesome. You have to look and look and look and then figure out for yourself what awesome is, and then start to hunt for techniques and themes that will let you reach awesome. it's not a road someone can walk for you.

4. Blah blah I talk too much. I've gone through my 'being super keen on posting WIPs' phase, now I think I just need to sit down with myself and draw-draw-draw a fuck of a lot more than I'm doing, experiment with techniques I see other using and I like, try out different subjects and styles, and I'm pretty sure I'll know awesome when I see it. Sadly it's a long way off, but hey it's the journey and not the destination that matters, right? :)

OwlsOnTheBrain

As a pretty new NOOB, I can say that Threadless peeps have been incredibly warm, welcoming and helpful.

When you're just out for votes or critiques on subs, that shows.

When you're here for friends and for COMMUNITY, that shows too.

:)

Wharton

Amen sisters.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
6 designs submitted - Score now!
taz-pie said:

fuck you noob

I just stopped by for this.....

and to see if I could finally see what Becky is looking at.

Twiggyhall
ivanrodero said:

I thought this was all about suction and vacuums... Boy, was I mislead...

Wait. There's no actual sucking going on here?

*leaves

Steger
Steger profile pic Alumni

I'm just here for the free streaming Degrassi episodes.

littlem

i try most of the time. but sometimes the subs make me cry and i can't even see though my tears to make a helpful comment, so i don't because i can't.

should i ignore? or say, i have nothing constructive to say? please advise.

littlem

this account is made for venting? howcome a fake account for venting?

Morkki

Y U MAKE LITTLEM CREY EVRYTIM

spefreps

If posts are about the work = BORING. If it's about the people = INTERESTING.

Morkki

Was that an observation or an accusation? Many active community members are not artists.

cogigoc

I guess reason the author made a fake account for venting - is to not affect his reputation at threadless. Maybe he/she has a sub in the running now, etc..

Wharton

This is hardly the eastern block with the Stasi hunting people down, fake account to complain is a little weak.

WIP blogs are in no way boring QBF's are always interesting as are Digsys, Sweet n sour's and The infamous Baka's. IF your work is interesting in worthy of developing and possibly printing people are going to be interested. The buck stops with you, its up to you to improve your work, to come up with great ideas. Nobody owes you comments or criticisms. If you invested in the community then I'm sure you'll get something back.

Less whinging more participation.

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Whart just pretty much hit the spot right there. It IS a two way street... You'll have to give something in order to get something back, even if it's some snarky comments about someone's mom.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

You should hear what they're saying about your mom ecsu

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

hahahah they can say whatever about her... she's dead.

... WAT?

spefreps

My fake account has nothing to do with my reputation or whatever, it is more like a cyber alter-ego of sorts. Don't let it irk you that much.

Morkki said:

Was that an observation or an accusation? Many active community members are not artists.

It was an observation. Everybody wants to talk about stuff like"life" and "relationships". If it has to be about work, then a "how the work came to be" or a collab (since other people than you actually give a rat's ass) thread is more interesting than a "please score/critique my sub!" thread.

Morkki

That is true. A full critique is also actually a lot to ask for. Asking for an opinion or suggestion about a specific detail or technique will get a better response.

Wharton

^ do you know what spefreps, this is really boring, as is your persistent whinging. If you don't like it then please just leave. The less whiners and complains the better, if you want to be part of the community join in and stop bitching.

Goldendust

I came in here to say Becky is no noob.

But then i couldn't help but mention that the best blogs here are all about being friends. There's nothing wrong with critique blogs but people are generally more interested in just hanging out and having a bit of Internet based fun.

You can't beat us. So you might as well join us.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I guess it's hard to get a positive response to a question along the lines of 'why do you people suck?' :D People get defensive. Everyone's got their own thing.

I think the less you expect from others, and the more you offer to others, the more you will feel the community opening up to you. This is generally true of pretty much every community I've ever been a part of, online or off.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us