Close
One second...

Who won the Gap Competition?

Who won the Gap Competition?
It has been 120 days (either way) and I just wanted to see the winning Design.

Anyone point me in the direction of the winning Tee.

Thanks in advance

DV5 :-)

Watch this
Deep Vector 5

Bumping for an answer. :-D

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

which GAP competition?

this was the 10k one

Tattooed Panda by tobiasfonseca

Deep Vector 5

Anyone got an email address for Threadless staff?

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

Well the Gap loves Vintage contest is even older than the kids comp and it has no winner either. There is also the Gap loves Worn comp to that still has no winner that I'm aware of. Gap just announces very slowly but I'm sure the winners know who they are by now

Shadyjibes
Shadyjibes profile pic Alumni

I'm eagerly waiting for the Gap loves clever challenge winners!

Deep Vector 5
pyr4lis said:

Well the Gap loves Vintage contest is even older than the kids comp and it has no winner either. There is also the Gap loves Worn comp to that still has no winner that I'm aware of. Gap just announces very slowly but I'm sure the winners know who they are by now

We'll you are assuming that the winners know. It would be nice if a winner of any of these comps would tell us because these comps have exceeded the usage date Threadless dictates. Haven't they?

Fair usage suggests that all losing participants can now use or sell their artwork anywhere else.

And that gets back to the question.....Who won these Comps and why are the rest of us in the dark?

Threadless, you need to stop the secretive game. Competition entrants deserve better than this system.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

The winners have most likely been chosen already.

Because this involves another party BESIDES Threadless, Threadless only has so much control. They will announce it when GAP releases it in their line. That's just the way it is over here. Threadless-exclusive competitions usually fall within the date range given. However, because there's other parties involved in this challenge, it gets a little complicated, especially since Threadless is not the one producing these shirts - GAP is. And with most popular clothing store chains, they only release so many shirts per cycle and season.

TL;DR - Just be patient.

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

I already got paid for my gap kids shirt

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Deep Vector 5 said:

We'll you are assuming that the winners know. It would be nice if a winner of any of these comps would tell us because these comps have exceeded the usage date Threadless dictates. Haven't they?

Things work a bit different with Gap. The way they do it (or at least used to) is that a bunch of designs are chosen for a shortlist for Gap to consider. Gap then has 180 days to ponder over these. Threadless also asks winning designers not to post any spoilers before the designs are for sale.

Goldendust

That's a crazy long time, I knew it was a while but I didn't realise it was that much! I guess when it's such a big company there's a lot of decision makers wanting to have their input.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Does Threadless have an announcements page for challenge winners? If they do I'm not aware of it. If not, it would be a pretty good idea. I get the feeling they're great at getting psyched up for new challenges but don't always follow through with the outcomes.

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

^^^ That. A hall of fame would be good. Winning a challenge should be a big deal.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Process of elimination.

I didn't win.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

Does Threadless have an announcements page for challenge winners? If they do I'm not aware of it. If not, it would be a pretty good idea. I get the feeling they're great at getting psyched up for new challenges but don't always follow through with the outcomes.

yeah this, i feel challenge winners tend to slip through the cracks, especially gap ones. The likes of the arcade fire winners were well promoted, would be nice to see that happen with everything

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
digsy said:
Wharton said:

yeah this, i feel challenge winners tend to slip through the cracks, especially gap ones. The likes of the arcade fire winners were well promoted, would be nice to see that happen with everything

Here, here.

Deep Vector 5
jeffreyg said:

The winners have most likely been chosen already.

Because this involves another party BESIDES Threadless, Threadless only has so much control. They will announce it when GAP releases it in their line. That's just the way it is over here. Threadless-exclusive competitions usually fall within the date range given. However, because there's other parties involved in this challenge, it gets a little complicated, especially since Threadless is not the one producing these shirts - GAP is. And with most popular clothing store chains, they only release so many shirts per cycle and season.

TL;DR - Just be patient.

I think when third party companies link with Threadless they have to understand the timeline Threadless has promised to the Artists. Otherwise let Companies set their own close off date. Companies cannot not have an endless hold over artist's work. Can you imagine the minefield that would arise if an Artist pulls their art and uses it after 100+ days somewhere else, then, a Threadless connected Competition Company decides to claim the now lapsed Competition Rules timeline artwork?

Threadless needs to clean this up quickly. Patience has no legal standing.

You're earlier point of seasonal store sales for Companies being a mitigating circumstance is irrelevant. All artist here believe they are working to the Competition Timeline Rules. Artists do not care OR are not told they are working to a future seasonal Retail Sales Cycle in 1 year, 2 years or a 100 years. Threadless runs these competitions, NOT 3rd party companies. Threadless should be bound by their competition timelines. Threadless' competition announcement process seriously needs a shakeup with more respect given to competitors and community wide announcements ONTIME. The very people that generate the art should no longer be kept in the dark.

PLEASE NAME ALL GAP WINNERS NOW. ENOUGH TIME HAS ELASPED

Please pass this on to the Heads of Threadless.

Thank You.

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

From my understanding the rule is the winner will be picked within the 90 days period. There's no mention whether the winner will be announced anywhere in that 90 days. If you don't hear anything from them within the 90 days you can safely use the design anywhere. There's no hogging.

If the company picked a design after 90 days and the designer already sold it somewhere else, then too bad for the company (or for the designer?). It's not like they'll bring you to court or anything.

biotwist

gap makes you sign a 180 day contract while they review the work

biotwist

and a confidentiality agreement also

Deep Vector 5
biotwist said:

gap makes you sign a 180 day contract while they review the work

So you won? Which Gap Competition?

Gee, you would think we are dealing with the Secret Service.

This isn't rocket science. A good graphic designer could do a very similar look to the winning Tees and a factory in China could start pumping them out in 24 hours and Gap couldn't do a thing about it.

Confidentiality....what a joke.

So many people making excuses for this competition system.

It's a farce.

Morkki

The 180 days reviewing period is not a guarantee of winning. Like I said, it's a shortlist. Why are you so mad about all this? If you haven't received any email by now then you didn't win. And in any case, if you don't like Gap's rules, tell it to them. If Threadless' contract with Gap works like this then it works like this. Deal with it.

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

This answer should be revealed on Monday! :D

Jordan_Bender

For the kids contest. Not sure about the others.

Shadyjibes
Shadyjibes profile pic Alumni

3 of my collabs were selected in the shortlist Morkki is talking about and none of them got selected by Gap (the 180 days period is over for all of them). still, i'm really thankful to threadless for at least letting me know the designs were noticed by them and as Morkki said, the mail threadless sends you clearly states that Gap will be holding the rights to your designs for 180 days. if you think your design is too awesome to be waiting that long, just ignore the offer. it's that simple!

instead of complaining, you should be thanking threadless for giving more opportunities to the artists, not only monetary, but also in terms of exposure.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Well said!

Shadyjibes said:

3 of my collabs were selected in the shortlist Morkki is talking about and none of them got selected by Gap (the 180 days period is over for all of them). still, i'm really thankful to threadless for at least letting me know the designs were noticed by them and as Morkki said, the mail threadless sends you clearly states that Gap will be holding the rights to your designs for 180 days. if you think your design is too awesome to be waiting that long, just ignore the offer. it's that simple!

instead of complaining, you should be thanking threadless for giving more opportunities to the artists, not only monetary, but also in terms of exposure.

Deep Vector 5
Morkki said:

The 180 days reviewing period is not a guarantee of winning. Like I said, it's a shortlist. Why are you so mad about all this? If you haven't received any email by now then you didn't win. And in any case, if you don't like Gap's rules, tell it to them. If Threadless' contract with Gap works like this then it works like this. **Deal with it**.

I am dealing it with it. It's a pity that mushrooms like you are happy to be kept in the dark and fed BS, I'm not.

Why should anyone be thankful? If your work is used, then the money you receive is a small portion of what Threadless makes, and if you lose then you are one of tens of thousands of people who have been used to generate work free so Threadless can thrive and pick and choose what they like.

They should be thankful to all Artists, those selected to make them money, AND those who show Threadless their Art so they can have an excess of artwork to select from.

From the low score Tees that win to the high scoring ones that don't get printed AND this 'keep em in the dark' competition notification system...the whole process is awful.

The difference is, that if I had 50 designs printed or none as is, I'd give Threadless a serve.

Those that allow every excuse ON BEHALF OF Threadless are just trying to keep sweet IN CASE they get selected one day. I no longer have that burden.

I'll keep this up for another day or too so the 'apologists' can all type their responses supporting Threadless' awful competition practices just so they have some 'brownie points' in the bag to support their further artwork chances. LOL.

The scoring, selection, competition deadlines and notification processes are all flawed. The gold rush for money keeps people silent. Sadly, that's most people's attitude.

Enjoy 'submitting' for the rest of your lives. :)

Other than that, this mushroom is out of here. (Post while you can. Account closed in 2 day)

Goldendust

Whether or not the results from the contest come out soon isn't going to change the fact that your design didn't win. You still own your design, and if it's so important to you that it gets printed then you should either take it elsewhere or do it yourself.

It's up to you whether or not you design for contests like threadless, and believe it or not they don't owe you anything. You willingly participated in what is essentially spec work and you were unsuccessful. I'm sorry you wasted your time for no financial gain, but there are other benefits of submitting to threadless and many artists are content to keep trying - and it's your call as to whether you persevere or not. No-one is going to beg you to stay if you're not happy with the the way things are run here.

Morkki

Morkki

You still don't get it, do you?

threadless does not choose gap winners, gap chooses gap winners

Go whine at them for being slow.

Jordan_Bender

Gap is indeed slow. -.- ughhhhh

biotwist

you are not in the dark. your 90 day period is over ad you were not picked also your china example is a great reason for confidentiality

No account?