Close
One second...

Fall 2013 Select

Hey guys!

For the first time, we’re opening up the design of our Select Collection to the entire community in this challenge! Help us create fall-friendly patterns, graphics and stripes for all kinds of garments including button-down shirts, neckties, rugby polos, cardigans and dresses.

Ross & I have created a mood board to share the kind of colors, designs and styles we’ll need for the Fall 2013 Collection. It’s included in the submission kit as well as the types of garments to design for.

Because this is a unique challenge and we want to make this the best Select collection yet, Ross and I will use this blog to give feedback & critique over the three weeks this challenge is open. If you have a nugget of an idea and want to know if you’re on the right track or just want to share what you’ve got, post below! We’ll answer as many questions as we can!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
westond
westond profile pic Alumni

Would you guys dig some funky geometry?

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni

Guys you should really check the inspiration board before you pick up your pencil/mouse.

uncannyxjen
uncannyxjen profile pic Alumni

I love this!

westond said:

Would you guys dig some funky geometry?

StevenLefcourt

pretty much everyone seems to be subbing patterns...these are open to non-repeating graphics as well right? The contest details seemed to say that

LFagan

Absolutley!

StevenLefcourt said:

pretty much everyone seems to be subbing patterns...these are open to non-repeating graphics as well right? The contest details seemed to say that

StevenLefcourt

great, thanks, it seemed pretty straight forward, but all I saw were patterns (some very awesome ones)

berlynhubler
berlynhubler profile pic Alumni

The mood board made me think vintage and preppy, so I used this image for inspiration, but I wanted to do a different animal.

Fall reminds me of acorns and leaves, so I thought of squirrels and came up with this design:

Any thoughts/suggestions? Would it better if the silhouette were patterned? Like a plaid or striped?

amaara

is this ok....appropriate?.....worthy? lol

ImAGoldenGod

Thanks Chris/Jeff. I'm a big fan of your nautical argyle ya got there =)

StevenLefcourt

not sure if this is going to be squished, but is a placement like this feasible?

StevenLefcourt

It's actually design to work well as a center chest print, but I wanted to be a bit more imaginative

StevenLefcourt

nevermind, gonna just go with the center chest

LFagan

AN ODE TO THE VARSITY JACKET

AND SOME HELPFUL HINTS ON GETTING PRINTED!

• Remember, the theme of this challenge is "Back to School". The more your design relates to the challenge, the more likely it will get printed.
  • Put your spin on it!!! We love a clever take on a classic look.
  • Check out our Pinterest board for more ideas!
LFagan

Love this one! I'm wondering about placement though. We wouldn't be able to print the way you have it mocked up on the cardigan because it goes across the body and onto the sleeves. We could print it as a flat graphic on the front of a garment, but the two circles might look a little too "booby" (yep, that's a word and we use it a lot around here!) Might want to give it another go?

amaara said:

LFagan

Digging where you're headed with this! I think you could probably push the design a little bit more though. Maybe you could combine this reference with another preppy/vintage element to give it a little more substance?

berlynhubler said:

The mood board made me think vintage and preppy, so I used this image for inspiration, but I wanted to do a different animal.

Fall reminds me of acorns and leaves, so I thought of squirrels and came up with this design:

Any thoughts/suggestions? Would it better if the silhouette were patterned? Like a plaid or striped?

amaara

oooh! should i resub with it going around the body instead? can I resub just a variation of it? i actually wanted to fix it, so this is a good opportunity :D

and ha yes! at the booby looking, which is why i did it as a wraparound

LFagan said:

Love this one! I'm wondering about placement though. We wouldn't be able to print the way you have it mocked up on the cardigan because it goes across the body and onto the sleeves. We could print it as a flat graphic on the front of a garment, but the two circles might look a little too "booby" (yep, that's a word and we use it a lot around here!) Might want to give it another go?

amaara said:

StevenLefcourt
Remember, the theme of this challenge is "Back to School". The more your design relates to the challenge, the more likely it will get printed.
Put your spin on it!!! We love a clever take on a classic look.

I didn't know the theme was specifically back to school. You talk about some back to school topics on the theme page, but it seemed like the contest was just about fall colors, and there's no specific message about the theme.

amaara

is this printable? i wasnt sure if the middle with the buttons could print so i erased it lol

LFagan

Dang, you're absolutely right! We've been working so closely on this challenge we completely missed this. Yes, the theme is "Back to School". It can be as literal or as loosely interpreted, but should tie back to the mood boards and color scheme.

I love your sub though and you should definitely keep it in- it reminds me of a really great illustration you would see in a classic novel. So there's the tie in! Or film class because of the movie. Ha, either way, still applicable to the challenge : )

StevenLefcourt said:
Remember, the theme of this challenge is "Back to School". The more your design relates to the challenge, the more likely it will get printed.
Put your spin on it!!! We love a clever take on a classic look.

I didn't know the theme was specifically back to school. You talk about some back to school topics on the theme page, but it seemed like the contest was just about fall colors, and there's no specific message about the theme.

StevenLefcourt

Well, thanks for the clarification, and im glad mine is still worth keeping in

LFagan

Boo still no- anything that is not an all over print (pattern) can't be printed over any seams. Maybe you could try to turn this into a pattern somehow?

amaara said:

is this printable? i wasnt sure if the middle with the buttons could print so i erased it lol

amaara

ahh, yes! if i made it into a large pattern where maybe 4 or so circles would be enough fabric to print for one cardigan?

what size should that be, like a 24x24 sized square?

LFagan said:

Boo still no- anything that is not an all over print (pattern) can't be printed over any seams. Maybe you could try to turn this into a pattern somehow?

amaara said:

amaara

also, can i delete a submission, so that I can upload my new version? or edit it somehow to state that its a pattern rather than a print?

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Hmmmm, I forgot about the whole 'school/ college' reference, back to the drawing board?

amaara

saw the origami on something else before? but i LOVE them on leggings!

evyc said:

Has this been done, and if not what does everyone think? I ready to submit this! Origami bird pattern leggings!

berlynhubler
berlynhubler profile pic Alumni

Is it better with plaid?

LFagan said:

Digging where you're headed with this! I think you could probably push the design a little bit more though. Maybe you could combine this reference with another preppy/vintage element to give it a little more substance?

berlynhubler said:

arzie13
arzie13 profile pic Alumni

I was gonna make y'all another mood board but I think that might just confuse things more. So here's a little note from me.

It's back to school but like Leah said it can be a really really loose interpretation of back to school. Sounds confusing, we just don't want to limit y'all to much. What would you want to wear if you were(or when you are) going back to school. We want a new take on the the typical back to school/preppy/animal house/rushmore look. Please make it your own though. Add a twist. Use the images we supply for inspiration only. Try to stick to the colors on the mood board. Have fun with this. Smart and simple can go a long way here.

We do need some tee graphics too. Smart and simple works here too (clever typography even). For the guys line i'm also going to be needing some chest patches(like we've done before). These also need to be fairly simple so they can be embroidered.

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

Thanks Ross. Actually I have a question. Y'know the select shirt "cheers" you guys did recently? I was wondering how that was printed. I'm working on a sciency pattern at the moment, which looks okay, but looks great in colour. The problem is that it's five colours (black and four of the swatch colours). I was just wondering if was achievable, Cheers is the closest thing I know you guys have done.

arzie13

Here's a list of random words(some cliche) that might help spark some ideas: Oars Rackets lacrosse... thing Lunch tray bag lunch pencils protractors glasses rowing junior varsity dart board foosball frosty mug keg a sixer old camera lockers old master locks National Honor Society Cheerleader mega phone metal whistle intermural clock tower the moontower, ha paddle hazing greek shit togas rugby(we're doing at least one rugby shirt) scoreboard food fight record player old speakers old boombox old cars high fives dewey decimal system book spines over head projectors school bell loud speaker chalkboard cross country sports jerseys numbers on sports jerseys the lions the tigers the bears bicycle tandem bicycle graduation gowns and caps acoustic guitar calculator looseleaf paper spiral notebook study abroad Passport (stamps and stuff) Fake ID SCHOOL BUS walkman Bus stop Prom yearbook

arzie13

John - We should be able to make it work out. The lighter the background(ground color) the better.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

I used to work for Jostens and this is giving me flashbacks. Thanks for the clarifications and key words, guys! Going to have to toss out a few ideas but that helps a lot for building new ones. Could real chenille letters be a thing?

arzie13

Pennants!

Tiffany - I'd be tough but I think we could pull it off in this timeframe

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
arzie13 said:

John - We should be able to make it work out. The lighter the background(ground color) the better.

Cheers Ross, I'm thinking heather grey. I'm going to put a lab coat in the presentation. Threadless lab coats would rule!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

I can't believe I've only decided to pay attention to this challenge now! Right, 6 days, that's plenty right?!?!?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
No account?
Join Us