Close
One second...

A Glorious Return to Pen-and-Ink - UPDATE #2!

UPDATE #2: The piece is now up for scoring! The piece is now up for scoring! That was quick.

Wee-woo wee-woo wee!

UPDATE: Holy crap, I finished on time! BWAHAHAHA! Scroll down to see how awesome I am (spoiler alert: THIIIIS awesome.)

Will give second update when ready for scoring.

STEP 1: Fill colors. Couldn't Paint Bucket, so all by hand. Whachu know bout carpel tunnel?

STEP 2: Details and line colors - adding golden inlay to armor and fabric, plus misc details.

STEP 3: Central background image of cliffs, towers, and dragons fighting.

STEP 4: Add character shadows.

STEP 5: Texturize.

STEP 6: Feel all gloaty and gabble about it on Threadless forums.

STEP 7:

Honestly, employers. Someone needs to hire me the fuck now.

(Old post)

So, I've gone back to pen and ink for the first time in two years for the East Meets West challenge. Tentatively titled, "Guys, We Were Supposed to Be Having a Picnic." Preview of the linework:

Oh, it's going to be fucking glorious once it's colored. Gonna be cutting it close though. Helluva deadline, Threadless.

Anyway, the story is that folkloric characters from Eastern and Western literature come together for a picnic. Everything goes along fine and dandy, till Little Red Rabble-Rouser starts getting all up in everyone's grills. Now it's a gigantic battle royale.

The combatants for the West:

The rumblers from the East:

Place your bets, ladies and MENTLEGEN!

Watch this
littlem

fantasmagorical!

Fredthecow

Great idea, and a very nice detailed Illustration :) cant wait to see the final design.

hellVETICA87

Wow, have you submitted it?? Tomorrow is the deadline..just for reminder tho' :)

except it get extension hehe..

veciocoldobro

This seems rocking awesome!

digsy

this is amazing - finish it!

digsy

honestly, all i'm thinking at the moment is "you bastard" i hate you for this almost as much as i'm in awe of you

AlanBao

Thanks dudes and dudettes! Yeah, the deadline is psyching me out, too. It's okay though. Sleep is overrated.

Digsy, your complisults are very much appreciated. Just give me a moment to think up an appropriate explainabrag. :D

Bio-bot 9000

So cool! I just wonder how it's all going to fit on a shirt. Go, go, you can do it!

AlanBao

Bamf. Ba-boom-ba-boom clank.

littlem

you should be embarrassed at how terrible this looks.

:D

littlem

i guess i kinda like it. probably. maybe.

littlem

holy shartz, that's an adorable kitten!

AlanBao

I'm ganna hug him and squeeze him and call him Fred and he'll be my bestest buddy Fred and we'll go to the movies and eat cheese-its and spit it back up because kittens can't eat cheese-its but we'll still be friends and and and

littlem

i'm gonna call him george!

TheInfamousBaka

GUAN YU is a super badass. I know it's real history and all, but it takes me back to playing Dynasty Warriors back in the day. This turned out really great, can't wait to vote on it!

digsy

I see your 5 exclamation marks and raise you five for awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!

AlanBao

Thanks guys! The piece is now up for scoring!

Gonna bamp this one more time with a fun fact:

Guan Yu was originally a general under Liu Bei during the Three-Kingdoms era in China; but in the Chinese tradition of historical story-telling and ancestor worship, he's morphed into something of a folk deity as a patron of loyalty and brotherhood, worshipped by policemen and triads alike.

Ain't that nifty?

TheInfamousBaka

That is nifty! $5'd it, a surefire candidate for the win.

AlanBao said:

Thanks guys! The piece is now up for scoring!

Gonna bamp this one more time with a fun fact:

Guan Yu was originally a general under Liu Bei during the Three-Kingdoms era in China; but in the Chinese tradition of historical story-telling and ancestor worship, he's morphed into something of a folk deity as a patron of loyalty and brotherhood, worshipped by policemen and triads alike.

Ain't that nifty?

nickv47

nice work!

littlem

yep, still terrible. lol

AlanBao

Fred doesn't think so.

AlanBao

Fred doesn't think so.

Twiggyhall

well, this is just super lovely

littlem

fred just hacked up a hairball all over it!

AlanBao

I forgive him because he is my special friend.

AlanBao

Unnecessary italics made that come out weird.

AlanBao

Unnecessary italics made that come out weird.

No account?