Close
One second...

submit tips to getting approval

Can someone be honest with me and tell me why they think this image did not get approved to be a card on Threads? And what is secret to getting approved artwork?

Thank you,

Scott

Watch this
scottdsyoung

Dan,

OK, so you resent my link? Are you commenting to my original question?

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

In all honesty Soctt, I just don't think its very well drawn. The line work is quite rough and the colours are a bit dull. I'm familiar with the painting and the various parodies of it and its not a very fresh idea.

scottdsyoung

Wharton: I would say 90% of the design work on Threads is lame

Wharton

And whats your point? 99% of them aren't chosen to be printed. I can't defend why certain designs are or aren't approved, because its not up to me to do the picking. I often see subs that are terrible both in articulation and concept that have been approved and every now and then you see ones that aren't so bad failing the approval process.

Its unlikely that anyone from Threadless is going to answer your question, because then they would have to answer everyone thats rejected and thats just not viable. Its their site and their rules. The only thing you can do is learn from the experience and move forward.

scottdsyoung

Threadless SUCKS - There customer support is not help at all and I hope they read this. Its not worth my time to show stuff here. I will just continue to sell my stuff locally.

SOCIAL MEDIA SUCKS

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I was going to try say something constructive or helpful but if your response to Wharton is typical of your attitude I don't see the point.

Wharton

Thats not a very pro-active attitude. Do you think Threadless has the time to respond to every email within minutes, think of the volume of requests they must deal with daily. They have always been bright, pleasant and helpful whenever I've contacted them, they're nice people! I think they even state that it may take up to 48 hours to reply to messages. If you're asking why you were rejected, try and figure it out for yourself first.

I get the impression that you have a bunch of designs you've used for a while and thought you'd try them out here. Threadless isn't a get rich quick scheme, you should use this site as an opportunity to improve your work, not bitch about how hard done by you are.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

And I just read your other post. If it sucks so bad, then leave. And don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Oh my, you went back to my 3+year old design to leave a bad comment on it?! How charmingly childish and rather sad!

Wharton

^RAD!^ Checkmate Scott, hit her where it hurts.

Anyway:

ImAGoldenGod

I don't understand if you asked for an honest opinion and then got one, why are you so angry? If you're here just to make money than that was your first mistake.

scottdsyoung

I am angry at Threadless - they really at no help.

So about your quote for the card, I think its quote your suggestion "hit her where it hurts" not sure about that...

I do have a nice vector graphic of this one and other, so perhaps If export it to a high res png that would work, and use more standard primary colors.

Wharton

What is it that Threadless isn't doing?

I think before you submit anything to Threadless you need to think about the people that buy things from this site, what generally sells and whether you have a good concept in the first place.

I think everyone knows the American Gothic painting, but turning them into cows achieve? Where is the pun or the popular culture reference? I think that either your design has to be beautiful to look at or have a clever concept.

I'll work on my quote for the card.

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

From your presentation, it is unclear whether "American Cowthic" is intended to be printed on the card. In my opinion, the text detracts from the presentation. The viewer should get it without having the title, and if you do title it you should use a more attractive, appropriate font, perhaps even hand drawn.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

but in all serious I thought this was a fake account because this has got to be a joke

voodazz

On a somewhat related subject, how do you know if your design has been rejected? Does threadless send you a notification or are you supposed to take the hint after your submission hasn't been accepted in x amount of days?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I actually want to know.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

They will let you know. I'd say if its been a week and you haven't heard check your spam (rejection emails tend to filter out a lot for some reason) and if nothing there then get in contact. Sometimes the mails go a little AWOL but rarely

voodazz

Okay that's good to know. Nothing in my spam folder yet, but I would rather get a letter of rejection than just be left wondering.

joeybtoonz

The image is low-res, the line work is not that good, the colors are dull, the presentation of the art on the card is bad (art is off-centered), there's no writing/punchline on the inside of the card to help drive the parody home. Besides, parodies of the American Gothic painting has been done a million times anyways so even if all of the above was fixed it probably wouldn't get picked because the idea is played out. You wanted honest, there you go.

No account?