Close
One second...

Hello! + Help a guy out with some words of wisdom? (UPDATED 29/-01. Thoughts? ^^)

Hi, everyone!

First time posting here. My friendly literally just linked me to this place, and my first thought was "I want a piece of the action!"

It's one of my all-time ambitions to get some of my artwork on some merchandise, whether it be a t-shirt, mug, or even a key-ring. It's all good! Would be super pleased with myself in any case!

Thought I'd start by asking for a little critique. I've got fair few folders stuffed with piccys of various theme and style, but this is one that I think could have the potential to make its way onto a thermos... or perhaps a phone cover? Dunno!

So... any thoughts? More? Less? Was thinking of amplifying the cute-factor by having a teddybear hanging from his right hand. Too much? Colours alright?

Let me know what you think, dudes and dudettes. Cheers! ^^

Watch this
galehaut

It's cute and playful. I like your style a lot. Plus the idea is really fun.

A personal preference of mine, and I don't even know if it has any merit, but I don't like when a massive gradient is a central element in a design, especially not on shirt screens. By that I mean the light glow around the candle and the little wisp of smoke. I'd be interested to know how the screens turn out if this gets printed.

teedubbleyoo

I've been wondering this myself. Would the glow effect even be printable to a decent standard? I think the little wisp of smoke could be re-done or even removed, and perhaps I could just have a series of light/darker ovals behind him to help portray the glowing effect instead of a gradient. Will definitely have a play around!

Thanks for your feedback! Really appreciate it! ^^

galehaut

gradients are printed in halftones. I think the wisp would more likely print better if it were stylized as a vector like the rest of the design. I don't have as much experience in shirt screens as many others here, so my advice is not the last word.

soloyo-collabs

lose the candle holder, make the big candle into an old candle and the little candle into a boy scout candle helping the old one cross the street.

dBranes

teedubbleyoo,

Great Design. Very creative indeed. I don't think the big candle needs a stream of smoke coming from its wick. It look sort of out of place.

I'm toying with whether the big candle needs legs, given the fact that he's on the candle stick holder and may step off into a big fall. Maybe if the big candle eyes were looking down at where he's about to step then the legs would make sense.

The light gray "panel" with the eyes on it might look more aesthetically pleasing if it went all the way down to the end of the candle with appropriate shading etc.

Good Luck

--db

teedubbleyoo

Thanks for all the feedback, folks! Really like that idea, soloyo! Might have to try and sketch that up for another picture! :D

I agree that something needs to be done with the candle holder. Perhaps get rid of most of it, widen the base and make it look as if it's actually his bed, maybe with a pillow and blanket or something? If I did that and gave him a teddy hanging from his hang, I think it could look even cuter.

Will have a play around! ;)

jonathan43

I lovet it! Awesome design! There's nothing to change in it!

spacesick

haha. great idea about the bed. I think a candle being roused from bed and holding a lit candle up to see what's the matter is perfect. keep it going!

teedubbleyoo

Well. Had a little play, made a few additions and tweaks, and this is where I'm currently at:

I dunno! Still doesn't feel like it's 'there' yet. Hrmm.

stevied070

Awesome, I think it looks great, losing the gradient was a good idea. Your almost there, very cool idea.

littlem

i think the revised version looks super cute

dBranes

teedubbleyoo,

Great evolution! Looking good. Only suggestion I would make is to give the candle a sleepy expression (droopy eyes etc) to give the "story" more credibility.

Good luck --db

teedubbleyoo

Yeah, I've been kinda thinking the expression doesn't make a lot of sense, other than being cute and happy.

Another concern of mine is that maybe certain areas of shadowing don't particularly make sense in relation to the light source (the little candle) and that might be enough to have it turned down? I dunno. X)

Wharton
1 design submitted - Score now!

This has come along in leaps and bounds. I really like the new direction. I prefer the darker background. I think the shadow needs a little work, it should be larger, with softer edges. Why don't you try a speckly photoshop brush instead of gradients?

I also wouldn't worry too much about watermarking your designs, I think you're probably safe here. :)

galehaut
teedubbleyoo said:

Yeah, I've been kinda thinking the expression doesn't make a lot of sense, other than being cute and happy.

Another concern of mine is that maybe certain areas of shadowing don't particularly make sense in relation to the light source (the little candle) and that might be enough to have it turned down? I dunno. X)

I think centering the shadow a bit and making it lighter would help.

teedubbleyoo

Thanks for the extra feedback! :D

In terms of what colour is used for the background, I'm ASSUMING it has to be one of the colours used on the submission template? I'm a little clueless about that stage right now. :P

teedubbleyoo

Slightly darker/colder/more nightly blue tone with a change on the facial expression.

JonesTheJones

love the shading on this, + I think it looks way better with the candlestick lowered/cut of bit

teedubbleyoo

Could anyone maybe give me a little submission advise? As in should I maybe wait until a more relevant theme comes along before trying my luck, or would it be okay to submit it whenever? Just been wondering if this could work at all on a greetings card. Heh. :3

Bio-bot 9000

I'd just sub it as a regular design. One thought is to maybe soften the background oval a bit; perhaps fade it out or make it slightly irregular, or give it some subtle texture. Make sure you preview how it looks on a shirt. Sometimes solid regular shapes look a bit too "plastered on", but in this case it may be fine as is.

digsy

super cute, but i agree that the background oval needs some work - one of bio-bots suggestions should work, either soften the edges or add some texture. it's a little hard at the moment though otherwise you've made some really dramatic and impressive changes to this, good luck

teedubbleyoo

Righto! Will definitely have a play around with that! :D

One thing: I showed a few of my friends this... and they said his new facial expression was very.... rapey... D: I guess maybe make the eyes a -little- less squinty, eh?

Bio-bot 9000

yeah he does maybe look a little mischievous. Were you going for a tired look? Maybe shoot for something between the new and the old face, since a little detail is good and adds personality.

Fredthecow

I honestly liked the simplicity of his original face. It looked much cuter :) Although some people have a problem with "soulless" looking eyes I think its a look that suits inanimate objects... and old school cartoon characters. Im only calling them soulless because people have told me before that those type of eyes on characters creep them out, and that they "look like they have no soul."

I understand the idea behind giving him a "sleepy expression" but you totally gave him happy eyes :) not sleepy eyes (Thats why he has the mischievous rape face going on)

littlem

how do the new eyes look upsidedown?

teedubbleyoo

littlem: Kinda murderous. :P

stevied070

He looks kind of high now :-) It looks cool, but I may have preferred the old eyes.

teedubbleyoo

Trying to find a half-way point right now! Hopefully will look a little nicer. ;)

Still pondering submitting this as a card. Could anyone tell me that if I were to submit this as a card, and it DIDN'T get accepted, would I be able to recycle the same design at a later date for... say... a notebook cover, t-shirt or whatever? :)

Bio-bot 9000

I'm sure it would get accepted for voting no matter what contest you sub it for. For the greeting card contest, what kind of card would it be? In what occasion would it work? Threadless used to be just t-shirts but with all these new templates and challenges I don't know what goes on what anymore, or if it matters, but you should consider the presentation and intended medium. Some designs do good on all kinds of objects, in all occasions, others only work best as a hoody, for instance.

As a compromise you might try including the design on a card template and show it on a shirt, since you can use up to 3 slides per submissions.

galehaut

Sleepy eyes to me would mean heavy eyelids from above and/or puffiness underneath.

No account?