Critque for declined Submission

If it was declined there has to be some thing wrong but i don't really see anything out of the ordinary. If you could help me out that would be awesome! I don't mind straight forward opinions and advice.

Watch this
BrentDonoho

It might be the gradients. I know that most T-shirt designs are done using solid-color vectors. Gradients I haven't seen, really. Have you looked at the tutorials for preparing a file?

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

usually they mention why it was decline: needs some work, copyrighted characters, offensive,... What did they say to you?

sariahferin

I'm pretty sure i have seen shirt designs with gradients. I have minutly viewed any tutorials on preparing a file. I think i understand it on a basic level.

In the email it just said the design needed a little more work. Maybe it was too messy?

AlienShea

Work on your line work its a little messy. Try using Illustrator if you have it.

The NewNewGuy

I'm not sure if this was an important factor, but if it's a triceratops, I don't think it's anatomically correct. The back leg isn't behind the belly but is more to the side, looking like it's hanging over the belly. What is very odd to me is the arch shapes (possibly forming the shape of a heart?) on it's side.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

The fine people at Threadless are sticklers for clean line work, so I have a feeling that may be your problem. Try to get some nice smooth lines (look at what has been printed for reference!). Gradients can be done with halftones. :-) Something else that this lacks is a concept. One of the main things to consider when you're doing a shirt design is "Would someone wear this? If so, why?" There are shirt designs that have gotten printed that are just super awesome and don't have an obvious concept, it's just one of those things that you never knew you wanted until you see it, but those are very stylized and usually very detailed. With simple styles like this, you more often than not, need a strong concept behind it.

sariahferin

thank you all very much for your advice and Critiques! i have been thinking about the concepts and designs behind a T-Shirt i will try to keep in mind your guidance!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Theinfamousbaka has got it all right. There is a little issue with the line work but ultimately I think the problem is a lack of concept - something that grabs the users attention or gives the design purpose.
For the most part shirts on here either have a joke or a pun or just something clever about them and then very occasionally you get shirts that might lack concept but blow your mind visually. As for gradients, they should only really be used if/when absolutely necessary - this isn't one of those cases as the look you're going for could easily be achieved with halftones

Good luck!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Theinfamousbaka has got it all right. There is a little issue with the line work but ultimately I think the problem is a lack of concept - something that grabs the users attention or gives the design purpose.
For the most part shirts on here either have a joke or a pun or just something clever about them and then very occasionally you get shirts that might lack concept but blow your mind visually. As for gradients, they should only really be used if/when absolutely necessary - this isn't one of those cases as the look you're going for could easily be achieved with halftones

Good luck!

No account?
Join Us