Close
One second...

My East meets West tumblr abuse!

So i posted this to tumblr and while i haven't got many notes or reblogs, of the few i do have not too many of them are pleasant. Let me share my favourite selection with you:

• ">:| Threadless what are you doing "

• "Why is this a thing"

• "what the actual fuck. it’s a good thing i have a moderately empty
    stomach right now"

• THIS IS SO DISRESPECTFUL OMG.

• choke on a dick threadless

of the nicer comments I got

- is it weird that i’m laughing i mean this is disrespectful as hell, obviously but i just….shit like this doesn’t faze me...
- idk, when i saw this before reading the above comments i read it as a commentary on consumerism, decadence, and western exploitation of eastern belief systems....
(yay someone gets it)

oh well, i guess I'm just surprised there wasn't more!

Yay, it's up already - thanks Super Speedy Threadless!
Click the image to vote please!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
ImAGoldenGod

Wow that looks amazing! The colors are pretty perfect and I love the style. I suck at naming designs I didn't have a personal tie to...hmmmmm

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

I love it so much!

Don't be hard on yourself Digsy :P however you did it in PS it looks amazing!

I've been trying to switch from AI to PS but having a hell of a time learning how to mess with the brushes to try to get them to do what I want. I bought some Frenden ones but even then I'm guessing my hand must be shaky cause my lines come out all blobby and wiggly on the sides. :/ Yours are so nice and flowing with great line variance!

I really love the addition of the little rat. It really helps tie the whole thing together as a full "scene".

Dreamspace

I really wasn't expecting this output, to be very honest. I just opened it to check and must say i am absolutely amazed at how it turned out. And as far as you new style. it is great. I think you should do more in that one.

About the Rat. It wouldnt harm the artwork if you added it and by logic Rat always appears with Ganesha. But it isn't a necessary thing.

If not for the fear of being attacked by a political mob. I would wear this one here in India. (How i wish) :-)

chetsishah

Hi, I am aware of who Ganesha is. I think you should add rat. BUT the Ganesha is always with bright colors. Here, what you have done is really good, but I think increase the percentage of bright colors.

chetsishah

Certainly I like your idea. Great concept.

christian

Love it. Add the rat eating the dropped popcorn, maybe? I lso loved the earring and the grease face paint.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

sorry for not updating the main post but i have actually included ratty, you just couldn't see him on page 2 yet

galehaut

You applied all the critiques beautifully. I'll $5 once it's up for voting.

voodazz

Very well done and congrats to you for sticking to your concept despite the slight buzz of the possibility of offending someone (gasp). This turned out great and I'm only disappointed that I didn't come up with this first!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
cpicciolini said:

Love it. Add the rat eating the dropped popcorn, maybe? I lso loved the earring and the grease face paint.

face paint just for you (because i always listen to staff!!!)

I've left the earring out as I think it making him someone who gets an ear piercing changes the character of Ganesh to much - i might be overthinking it, but I really just want an imagining of what he would look like on a Sunday afternoon if he were a sports fan

And I think I'm just going to call it "If Ganesh were a sports fan" or is that really dumbass?!

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

That seems like too mundane a title for such an awesome piece. What about something like "The Big Game" or even "Number One Fan". I'm reading that Ganesha is referred to as Remover of Obstacles or Lord of Obstacles, so maybe play off something like that while keeping it respectful?

Bio-bot 9000

oh, and maybe add a bit more distinction between the gray bench and his gray arms? from a distance they sort of blend together.

Bio-bot 9000

actually, seeing the close-up again, I think just a slightly thicker outline on the arms would do, something like the thick line on the foam finger arm.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Thanks biobot - ill of some googling tomorrow for an awesom title and see what I can do about those arms too

evyc

Love the updated one, it looks great!

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

the rat is a great addition, maybe scale him down a bit if possible, there seems to be too little space between the rat and ganesha's hand. (or perhaps put him on the other side of the bench?)

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

subbed as "Secret Sports Fan" Thanks for all your help everyone!

Dammit, I should have called it "Any Given Sunday" oh well too late now!

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

This turned out great!

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Added rat is awesome!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

thanks guys

I must say, regardless of how this scores, I'm pretty damn proud of myself for this one! I've never really done anything like it and I think it's turned out pretty well, not perfect but not bad for a first shot at something like it.
And I persevered too - I wanted to give up several times along the way but I stuck to and kept on trying and I'm really glad I did

yay for me!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Yay, it's up already - thanks Super Speedy Threadless! Click the image to vote please!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Just a little reminder this is out there

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

and again! thanks for all the votes/comments so far

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

So i posted this to tumblr and while i haven't got many notes or reblogs, of the few i do have not too many of them are pleasant. Let me share my favourite selection with you:

• ">:| Threadless what are you doing "
  • "Why is this a thing"
  • "what the actual fuck. it’s a good thing i have a moderately empty stomach right now"
  • THIS IS SO DISRESPECTFUL OMG.
  • choke on a dick threadless

of the nicer comments I got - is it weird that i’m laughing i mean this is disrespectful as hell, obviously but i just….shit like this doesn’t faze me... - idk, when i saw this before reading the above comments i read it as a commentary on consumerism, decadence, and western exploitation of eastern belief systems.... (yay someone gets it)

oh well, i guess I'm just surprised there wasn't more!

Wharton

I told you so.

Dreamspace
Dreamspace said:

Offensive. Yes. A typical religious indian would get bloody pissed. But then. What the hell! This is a great idea.

lol ... Well my word came true there i guess. If people cant take things lightly let them go to hell. Glad that i wasnt the one who came up with the Idea. If at all, my house would have been mobbed by now. :-P

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

did you wharton, did you really now....

actually i don't know whether to be indignant that they didn't get it, or chuffed that they noticed! i'm amazed it hasn't turned into nasty comments on the sub itself though - i don't think it got far out enough thankfully. I do foresee a lot of ones though

Dreamspace

I wonder if you are already popular in tumblr. If not you will be now. Any publicity is good right. At some level. :-)

Wharton

And I quote:

I think its a great sub and clearly illustrates the east meets west theme. Will people get offended? Its not as if Ganesha's giving a nazi salute or anything and you can't please everyone

...wait a minute.

craquehaus

This turned out really well! Awesome work.

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

Don't worry Digsy, it's an awesome illo and there will always be someone who is offended by something, especially when there is religion involved...

I believe people need to have a sense of humor and just chill so I'm offended when I see a lack of irony, sarcasm and humor!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

I new some people might not like it but I did not imagine the hate. Most Religious parodies get a small backlash of some kind; don't get discouraged.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

I actually don't remember that specific quite Wharton but I was only teasing you anyway! Thanks for the support guys, it's not too bad, I'm mostly amused at this stage and not massively surprised by a small amount of horror!

ImAGoldenGod

They're so eloquent though. I swear...out of the mouths of scholars

=)

littlem

people can be sensitive dickheads sometimes. try to ignore their ignorance.

littlem

oh gawd, really poor choice of words there. sorry bout that.

ImAGoldenGod

Hahaha Well they are pretty sensitive...the negative tumblr folk that is

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
littlem said:

people can be sensitive dickheads sometimes. try to ignore their ignorance.

littlem said:

oh gawd, really poor choice of words there. sorry bout that.

ha, excellent choice of words i think!

honestly, i'm mostly amused - it's small enough for it not to worry me and it hasn't hit the sub too obviously so i'm not too bothered. i just thought some of the comments were worth sharing

craquehaus

There's something about telling a company to "choke on a dick" that really amuses me.

Like the head of the company would call a meeting and bring everyone into a boardroom...

"Good morning everyone. Some of you may have heard last night that someone from the internet told us to... choke on a dick. I know...I know...it's unfortunate but that's the reality of the situation.

I have a phallus set up right over here...everyone line up...just put it in until you feel uncomfortable and wipe it off for the person behind you.

Don't be shy...let's get this over with and we can move on with our day. It's time to be thankful. If it wasn't for these internet people none of you would have jobs anyway."

rvoxie

Wow, I'm surprised at the comments your art got on Tumblr. But still, I guess it's kinda expected. It's art at the end of the day, and artists can do what they want. Voted. Good luck :)

galehaut

Reddit and Tumblr can be bipolar. If you have a good idea, people will either love it or hate it.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us