Close
One second...

My East meets West tumblr abuse!

So i posted this to tumblr and while i haven't got many notes or reblogs, of the few i do have not too many of them are pleasant. Let me share my favourite selection with you:

• ">:| Threadless what are you doing "

• "Why is this a thing"

• "what the actual fuck. it’s a good thing i have a moderately empty
    stomach right now"

• THIS IS SO DISRESPECTFUL OMG.

• choke on a dick threadless

of the nicer comments I got

- is it weird that i’m laughing i mean this is disrespectful as hell, obviously but i just….shit like this doesn’t faze me...
- idk, when i saw this before reading the above comments i read it as a commentary on consumerism, decadence, and western exploitation of eastern belief systems....
(yay someone gets it)

oh well, i guess I'm just surprised there wasn't more!

Yay, it's up already - thanks Super Speedy Threadless!
Click the image to vote please!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Dreamspace

I am not sure is many would instantly know who Ganesha is. If one does this is a clever thing.

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

This will definitely work for the challenge, so far i've seen a lot of japanese stuff, so this is a different approach. But it might be offensive to some people, dunno

Dreamspace

Offensive. Yes. A typical religious indian would get bloody pissed. But then. What the hell! This is a great idea.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

most of the hard work is done - i just need to clean and colour it so i might as well work on it. besides, what's the worst that can happen... oh wait this! haha

no seriously, i'll start work on it, and make a call a little further down the line. It's not subbed until it's subbed so no harm done till then!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Bump for additional thoughts

voodazz

I actually really like this concept. I wish I had thought of that!

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

I don't have a problem with it. Threadless had printed religious icon & and religious jokes / mash ups before.

The ones I can think of right now are: Employ Thy Force Holy Roller Jesus was a Streaker Raptored GOD&doG The Fast Supper

I see no reason to not do your's :D

pyr4lis

damn those were supposed to be bullet pointed not just mashed up into one long row. Employ Thy Force, Holy Roller, Jesus was a Streaker, Raptored, GOD&doG, The Fast Supper

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Also Blair Sayer's Tea Break for Kali. Interestingly, someone has been offended about such designs but there's probably always someone.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I think its a great sub and clearly illustrates the east meets west theme. Will people get offended? Its not as if Ganesha's giving a nazi salute or anything and you can't please everyone.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

thanks for the feedback guys. I started coloring this earlier and by the sounds of things I should keep up with that and hopefully get this sub ready!

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

someone will always get offended

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

I've started to colour it. I'm aware a 4 year old would do a better job of keeping in the lines, but i'll fix all that later! hows it looking otherwise?

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

I'm offended he's not eating a chili dog.

The flag should be green.

Shadyjibes
Shadyjibes profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I am an indian and i DON'T find this offensive. I find it pretty funny and it perfectly suits the east meets west theme. People will get offended but who gives a damn.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

yeah i hadn't got round to (read forgotten) to colour the flag in so far yet... no idea what colour i'm going to do the seats either

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

sweet, thanks Shadyjibes - good to hear!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

I don't think I like the green... :-s

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

any more thoughts on this while I continue to gag over the green?

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

La la la talking to myself!

pyr4lis

Yeah the colors seem pretty weird.. I'm not sure how to fix it though. So I'm not much help. Overall though the whole thing doesn't seem to have your "digsy" vibe to it. Although it could just be the colors.

Are you going to have him in a crowd of people? Or just him with the empty seats?

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

so i'm really battling with colours... i don't know whether to go bright and all out there or tone it all down or what. this is just me mucking about, but i could really use some help here!

skever

I just noticed, the hotdog is actually blue which is pretty strange xD But yeah the colors seem a bit overwhelming to me at the moment. What if you made Ganesha a more traditional dark tanned/bronze colour.. And some subtle yellows and greens for everything else. Then for the seats, maybe after the 2nd or 3rd row, remove the black outlines and give them darker colours than the front to help create depth.. Some trash around the feet could also look cool :) I look forward to seeing how this develops! :)

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

yeah, i saw the blue hotdog but just didn't do anything about it at this stage! I think subtler is better, I just have these postcards I bought in India with some of the Gods on them and they're always so bright and colourful with pink and blue and gold scattered all about so i was hoping to replicate that a bit but I don't think it's going to work so well on a shirt!

pyr4lis

I dunno.. can you scan the post cards so we can see the colors?

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

my scanner is kaput but they tend to look like this sort of thing at the moment mine are brighter definitely - i think thats cause i'm trying to align to brighter shirt colours, but you at least get the colourful idea

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

so i've started redrawing this completely

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

any thoughts so far on the new version I'm workign on

Wharton

I think it looks a lot better without the cinema seating. Im not too sure about the red and the blue colours though, they're a bit intense.

galehaut
1 design submitted -

I recognized the reference immediately. The technique is way better now and I prefer these colors, although I'm not sure if you want the popcorn blue. Since you removed the stadium seating, you might want to stick him on a bleacher. It feels like he's hovering now.

I like the concept. To me it comes off more as a commentary on american culture than on hinduism, and it fits the theme really well. Good luck!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Thanks guys Galehaut - it's no where near finished, I've only just started redrawing it hence the blue popcorn, the blank foam finger, blue fingernails, floating without a seat etc etc I will probably replace the stadium chairs with a bleacher though thanks.

Wharton - they are a bit intense but I've got a few to come still so I'm going to get it all done and then tweak accordingly if it still needs it, thanks

Slippereend

The reference is very clear to me and I think you are doing a good job with it and with the colors! :) Though I'm not a big fan of the setting, the tribune. I feel like you need to do something with the grand chair in your reference, and maybe even with the halos and such around it's head.

You might make him watch television in a grand chair and more bags of crisps and such around him? o.o

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Anybody who knows me is hopefully going to see what a giant leap out of my comfort zone this is (more than 2 colours, no distressing, doesn't fall into the "simple" category - eek!) So yeah, i'm so far gone i think it's disappeared over the horizon, but here it is anyway. It's not my normal style so you'll have to forgive any amateurishness, but I think I'm happy with it for the most part at the moment. I only have a day left for this so would appreciate some feedback. My biggest question at the moment is should I include the rat that is Ganesh's companion normally?

Wharton

Woah! This is looking great, this is a great migration from comfort into a new style. Looking great!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

I am liking the new version so much more.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

thansk guys! so what next? rat? or am i good to go

you know what, actually, i KNOW i need to do that rat, this piece has just drained me so far though and i'm battling to get up the motivation! so i'm hoping you'll all say "no, don't worry about it" and then i can let it slide conscience free!

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

awesome new version! if you add the rat give maybe him a little flag :p

Wharton

I was going to say 'no' to the rat, but now that mantichore mentions it, it might be nice to have a little side kick.

veciocoldobro

This is looking great really! The reference is there, the rat is not essential to the understanding of the concept, make it or leave it, your choice.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

yeah, if i put him in i def don't want him to look like a scavenger so i was going "sportify" him somehow be it a flag or a hat or something

thanks guys, i'll give the rat a go in the meantime

pyr4lis

Yeah I was just scrolling and was going to mention the rat when you beat me to it :)

pyr4lis

Yeah I was just scrolling and was going to mention the rat when you beat me to it :)

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

now with ratty

i'm worried he's a little lost on the bench so I may put him on the floor

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

and here's a mock up

pyr4lis

aww he's cute :) I'm also really loving the linework you did here.
Illustrator or Photoshop?

littlem

awesome!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

photoshop (i woudln't know illustrator if it smacked me on the head) just don't look at it too closely pyr4lis - it's not exactly neat!

so are we good to go?

campkatie
campkatie profile pic Alumni

this looks really great! Such an improvement. Getting out of your comfort zone paid off for this design!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

thanks campkatie

so this is the final slide unless peeps think I have more work to do?

Now for a name...

Goto75
Goto75 profile pic Alumni

Wow! This is great stuff :)

Awesome work!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us