Close
One second...

Do you sell on Redbubble?

Do you sell (well?) on Redbubble.com? I just created an account but I'm not sure to upload some files now. So much thing already in the store..

Watch this
Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni
10 designs submitted - Score now!

Wharton made a blog about RedBubble, I think he sold something there.

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

For example if your work gets popular, they delete your account but carry on selling your stuff.

Ohhh scary... Thanks for your input!

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Lucky me… only sold three shirts in a year… :)

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I've got an account, but to be honest it doesn't really generate much at all. I think in the 6 months of hosting my work I've maybe made about £40. I can't figure out how to gather followers, or exposure, their 'groups' system is weird. I think I'll keep the account, but only because I went to the trouble of setting one up in the first place.

nicholelillian
nicholelillian profile pic Alumni

I've only made about $75 there. You only get paid once your total gets up to $25.

I might delete it.

saxony22

That is absolutely not true that Redbubble is a scam - they would never delete an account and keep selling. That's just a rumor spread by some angry user who violated guidelines and had their account removed. Redbubble makes it super-easy to start selling - you just upload your work, and then use a template if you want to make something like an iPad case or t-shirt, etc. It's awesome!!!

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

I just found out about that place today.. lol

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

some times I make more money on redbubble then on soceity6. my astronaut riding a unicorn shirt sold like 200 shirts in 3 months. never had that happen be for

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

and redbubble is a class act. even if being a class act means taking down all starwars shirtsd. they send me hand written checks

john00w

The stories about the redbubble scam have a solid basis Redbubble's way of dealing with problems, just delete comments and delete accounts, is atrocious Product quality problems? No problem, redbubble will ignore Copyright abuse issue? Ignored Offensive content? Yes, ignored - that's the policy

and they keep selling your stuff even after your account has been deleted

Don't know how they stay in business

Thomas Orrow

Hmmm conflicting views from two people. They're both new accounts as well. (I have no idea which one is right). I'd like to join Red Bubble, but I don't agree with giving away stuff for free (unless it's a worthy cause).

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I've just sold a t shirt today.. 5$, not bad!

Thomas Orrow

Five dollars! Hey, that's like a Threadless thing. OK, you've convinced me Speakerine. They must be OK, if you're on Red Bubble.

nicholelillian
nicholelillian profile pic Alumni

Not going to delete mine after all:) I recently had the chance to go to SXSW because Redbubble had a couple of my designs in a pop up gallery there. I got to meet a couple of the people from RB and see all the products in person (btw... quality of the prints were top notch) I have some pictures on my facebook page if anyone wants to see.

lifeform987
lifeform987 profile pic Alumni

The site looks good, maybe I'll try to sub some of my designs too. :)

angryartist

Redbubble is absolutely a SCAM. They let multiple web scraping image sites like Google steal anything posted there.

PLUS, They also keep "art" after an account is CLOSED.

I have been trying for over a month using DMCA requests to get my work off of their site and out of Google Images. Both companies are ignoring me.

FAA did the same thing, but they honored my DMCA requests after I emailed their upline hosting providers. Redbubble hosts at least part of their site on Verizon Cloud in the United States. Verizon has denied this even after being sent trace route data. Guess who's phone goes out the window at the end of my contract.

Luckily, after being screwed by FAA, I only put a few pictures on Redbubble. Still, a few is too many.

I just emailed the Attorney General of California. I'll encourage all of you to do the same thing. I haven't found out who to email in Australia yet. But till I do, I boycott everything Australian.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni
john00w said:

The stories about the redbubble scam have a solid basis Redbubble's way of dealing with problems, just delete comments and delete accounts, is atrocious Product quality problems? No problem, redbubble will ignore Copyright abuse issue? Ignored Offensive content? Yes, ignored - that's the policy

and they keep selling your stuff even after your account has been deleted

Don't know how they stay in business

I don't buy it. I deleted my first account there and they emailed me asking why I deleted my account and that they had a customer who was interested in buying one of my prints that they had seen at comic-con where redbubble had a booth.

I started a new account and the customer was linked to it and bought the print. I don't sell very much there (maybe $100 total) but I haven't had an account there very long. My brother makes quite a bit though, so I don't see how it's a "scam". They're so vigilant about their accounting in fact that they'll send you an email and manufacturing invoice for a 60 cent sale.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

also, in my dealings with the staff they've always been very pleasant and professional.

Thomas Orrow

After being a bit dubious about RB, I can actually confirm that I've been treated very well there.

I was given the standard welcome e-mail (nice touch), frequent updates and all of the invoices and also paid as they said they would (they pay after you get a certain amount).

I also finally got an e-mail saying that the problem with Soc 6 was on their account, and that it has been fixed now. All in all happy with both companies now (although I'll have to re upload everything onto S6 one day).

Thomas Orrow

tl;dr Soc 6 & Red Bubble are both good.

I have to check out Curious one day too.

vipercartel

Hi all im a artist on redbubble and all this stuff about them scamming is a lot of rubbish they have super customer service contacted me about a image having color issue wich i was so happy for there feed back as i dont want my customers feeling let down i get a manufacturers recipt and email on all sales also they let you input google anyletics so you can see who is viewing your work i do well on there site and really happy with them.

ChrisDB

Can you have the same artwork on both Redbubble and Society 6? I've only just begun started putting up some work on S6. No RB account yet.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

I mostly have one because stickers.

ChrisDB

I'm a real sucker for stickers!

Clodino

sorry but about threadless design, if they don't get printed after 90 days, can you sell them in s6 or redbubble on your own without asking back the rights to threadless?Or am I so confused that I ended up writing weird thing?

Eli101

Redbubble IS a scam! They took my art, and deleted my account ironically just before they were supposed to send me 300 bucks. When you have high sales, they delete your account. Then accuse you of second hand reprints.

All those people who claim they have great customer service, is a flat out lie. They have no contact number, all emails are automated. RAISE ANY RED FLAGS???

Other places like Zazzle, Spreadshirt, Cafe Press, ALL have phone numbers to contact them. I even found their address and they're not even listed, if you call information THEY don't even have them listed. They use a UPS store for their delivery system, that's supposedly in the same building. When I contacted them, they said that they aren't even given contact info.

IT'S A SCAM, you may be doing well for a little while, but you just wait, they're going to screw you over big time!

Steger
Steger profile pic Alumni

Why does someone keep making fake accounts to smash redbubble?

Goto75
Goto75 profile pic Alumni

To return to the speakerines question:

I joined in mars and sold for around 60$. Got lucky to get two design picked to the Found page and its from those two the earnings come from.

Like Wharton I am also trying to understand the followers/exposure stuff.

thompson98
Steger said:

Why does someone keep making fake accounts to smash redbubble?

and why are people making fake accounts to help redbubble?

BurritoGoblin
BurritoGoblin profile pic Alumni

I have one design on redbubble that has probably made $100 at this point. I was using it for stuff I'd never even try to submit here, or stuff for family.

I'm starting to test out DBH for the same purpose, but god damn DBH's threadless/redbubble hybrid is a weird thing that I don't think I'll like, so I really hope similar plans aren't in the works here.

laurxy
laurxy profile pic Alumni

I upload my stuff to both Redbubble and S6. Though I'm more active on S6 RB has made me more than twice the money in half the time by now (455,52$ in about a year).What I like about RB is that they feature designs that they think are good even if the artist is completely unknown. My designs were featured in "found" at least five times while I was only once on the S6 frontpage (I think). No, RB is definitely not a scam.

nerrik

Does anyone else find some of their designs look terrible on shirts? The colour is drained and grey after uploading them.

I've sold 2 shirts and a few stickers. Started at the beginning of March so not to bad.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Agree the tshirt preview does look shitty and dull.

I've been found a few times since joining a month ago at that has made all the difference to sales. Loads of stickers and some clothing. Not sure how you get noticed on there otherwise?

filgouvea
filgouvea profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

I think you can try joining groups, there are tons of them so I suggest you guys look at the groups people that follow you are in. I also was lucky and sold quite a bit in less then two months because I was "found". It's been a while since that happened tho and sales have dropped a lot.

And I agree with the staff comment, they are so helpful and nice. I even received a welcome email from them asking if I wanted a gift code. Redbubble is awesome AND the royalties are the best around.

StrayCat_GFX

I've only sold one poster there for a couple of months maybe, but I like the site, it's user friendly and the t-shirts are not too expensive, allowing higher royalty rates. I should start joining groups, I had complete forgotten about those.

nerrik said:

Does anyone else find some of their designs look terrible on shirts? The colour is drained and grey after uploading them.

The previews do look bad, rich black turns out greyish, but I hope that's only the automatically generated preview images, and the t-shirts look better.

filgouvea
filgouvea profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

That is because their printer is CMYK and not RGB. The preview is a simulation on what it would look like when printed.

StrayCat_GFX

I'm not sure what you mean. Ink is always CMYK, but in four colour printing, Cyan: 76%, Magenta: 68%, Yellow: 67% and Black: 90% should look different than C: 0%, M: 0%, Y: 0% and B: 100%.

nerrik
angryartist said:

I haven't found out who to email in Australia yet. But till I do, I boycott everything Australian.

Wow, that's an over reaction. You do realise all us Australians didn't gather one day and create Red Bubble? It's ONE business...

edwardolive

I recommend Redbubble, the site works well, you make sales and they can feature you in their Found blog.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
staceymuir said:

I've made a few sales, I don't really know how though! Getting featured on there is like, my life goal.

My Rebubble is here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/cat-neurosis

Keep posting and you will get featured; your art is good enough for them. Try to feature some work that is good for stickers and tees. The sticker commissions are fairly low but the volume makes up for it.

yang.politud

Hi, I just made an account but I haven't sold yet. I'm not sure how to price my work. Most of my products are mugs, travelling mugs, t-shirts, some phone, tablet, and laptop cases.

How did you price your products? Did you lower the markup? or increased it? Looking at my products with 20% markup seems too expensive to me so I lowered it but I'm afraid I won't get much if it's too low. So I wanted to ask how much markup is the standard prize?

I hope I get an answer. Thank you.

SaltySteveD

I'm actually wearing one of my own shirts that I ordered from Redbubble. The print quality is pretty legit, as have all the other shirts I've ordered. My room is also covered by posters and prints from them and they turned out rather well. I'm no art snob but anyone complaining about RB either got defect merch or has simply not kept up with the scene in a while.

As for this whole business of cancelling accounts, I guess I just haven't made enough money to be affected by that. The last two months I've made over 700 dollars mostly from one design and that's despite there being a sale and my mere 10% markup.

To be honest, though, the only reason I rely on RB sales more than anything is because most shirt sites are assholes and only print you if you're already popular. They love to "promote new artists" but that very rarely happens unless you make another generic Doctor Who design or something. Meanwhile artists that have been printed all over the place seem to get a free pass regardless of their content. Not that they're bad artists; they're just overexposed as it is. (Hell, even RB does this; their front-page "found" section constantly has designs that have printed all over the internet.)

So in short; yes, I sell through Redbubble. I don't really have a choice but it's better than nothing.

No account?