Close
One second...

ok, so here's the design that got rejected (no regrets):

Here's the t-shirt design (my own take on andy warhol's can of soup) that I submitted to Threadless just to give it a try 'cause it's for very the first time that I'm trying to get my stuff printed and I wanted to see how this site works - now, don't get me wrong - I don't take close to heart the fact that this design gets rejected for not meating the quality standards - I mean: hell! I would reject it myself if it was up to me to decide if I should make it available for users to score and to vote or not but I would do it for a set of my own reasons that I'm perfectly aware of, and on the contrary - I'd like to hear what YOU, threadless people, honestly think - what could possibly be the reasons to decline this image, so thanx in advance for your opinion!
The design is called Zizek's Desoupinated Marxist-Lacanian Soup and it plays with a metaphor of "decaffeinated coffee" that Slavoj Žižek, "the nose-rubbing, shirt-tugging, modern Slovenian philosopher" (whom you can see on the picture above - otherwise, please feel free to just google his name in search for his work or videos of his public presentations) uses to illustrate his vision of the way late-capitalist consumerist society functions... - if you've got any question or want me to break out the idea of this design a bit more - go ahead and shoot!

Watch this
nickv47

solid execution, but completely over most people's heads (including mine).

digsy

that, and there may also be copyright issues

soloyo-collabs
nickv47 said:

solid execution, but completely over most people's heads (including mine).

I agree, I had no idea what this was about until I read your lenghtly explanation

nicolas.coursbarracq

thnx, guys, I see the point with the whole lack of transparency for the majority of people - I can very well see that - I was rather wondering if there were any other specific issues for me to note in case I get to submit other more relevant and more generally available designs

nicolas.coursbarracq

it's also true that I basically stole (from andy warhol - don't know who is the bearer of the rights to his intellectual property, but truth be told I've already seen tons of designs playing with his notorious works - I mean: wow! he's the pop-art founding father after all - half of tees are based on this type of famous stylistic solutions..) the canvas of this design and only modified it because I wasn't considering the possibility to submit it as a tee-design afterwards, wasn't envisioning it in this perspective in the beginning..

AlanBao

The copyright issue isn't so much with Warhol's IP as it is with the Campbell brand. Because of the commercial nature of Threadless and the fact that you're using your designs to sell apparel, it's a much tighter legal net when it comes to using another company's brand colors and logotypes.

Also, I feel like anything that requires an artistic dissertation to explain probably wouldn't do too well in this sort of market. You should probably aim this at a gallery, rather than a t-shirt company.

PS. I hate Andy Warhol. He was a pretentious twat.

nicolas.coursbarracq
AlanBao said:

The copyright issue isn't so much with Warhol's IP as it is with the Campbell brand. Because of the commercial nature of Threadless and the fact that you're using your designs to sell apparel, it's a much tighter legal net when it comes to using another company's brand colors and logotypes.

..oh, thanx a million for the clarification - I've completely forgotten that contrary to andy warhol the campbell's brand is instead well alive and kicking - that sure explains the whole lot of things.. but on the other hand - that same legal issue apparently didn't stop andy warhol himself from selling his artworks exploiting the very same colors, elements of corporate identity and without even modifying the logotype (which I did for instance) - my head starts to spin only to think of all the peculiarities this case envolves then - now wonder they din't to mess with it.. p.s. I'm not a fan of andy warhol either - I simply like the style of some of his things)

Bio-bot 9000

I read your description and I still don't get it. This type of thing appeals to far too narrow of an audience. It might have merit if grouped with similar themed artwork, but not as a stand-alone t-shirt.

late-bloomer

I agree that this design would interest only a small audience, but i think it's good :D. there is another thing i wanted to point out, i knew who žižek is and still couldn't read the font you used to spell his name. i had to read your description to see what's going on, so i think you need to work on that to.

nicolas.coursbarracq

the font is a bit misleading - I'm with you on that - the thing is I'm not a font artist (not that I'm any kind of artist at all :D) so it was quite challenging to derive my own custom letters from the pre-existing Campbell's logo - and I've made it a while ago so now, for a certain distance I can see that it's not that legible as I'd like it to be.. - thanx for the comments once again, everyone!

opifan64

I like it. I would wear it just to see the puzzled looks on people's faces.

nicolas.coursbarracq
opifan64 said:

I like it. I would wear it just to see the puzzled looks on people's faces.

oh wow! thanks, opifan64! next time you get your design to the voting stage - just give me a sign, I'll score you a (high) five solely for being so kind :D (I mean it)

No account?