Close
One second...

Hair question blog (Disclaimer: not a hair blog ;-;)

Because I am hopeless with girl stuff roughly all of the time, this question has been bugging me for forever.

When people say they only wash their hair twice a week (or whatever) does that mean they only get their hair wet twice a week, or that they only use shampoo twice a week?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Goldendust

FINALLY. Thankyou!

It's like I missed some classes on how to be a proper girl back in high school.

NOTBlowingSmoke

Usually they mean shampoo, but sometimes they even mean getting it wet. I have a lot of hair dresser friends, and a lot of them don't wet their hair everyday because (it has been explained to me) that hair is a lot like fabric in a way... if you picture your favorite tee, you wouldn't run it through the washer EVERY DAY because it would start getting faded and worn and sometimes even wear thin. Supposedly, hair is similar.

For me however, if I'm going out I HAVE to wet my hair to style it, because it's curly and it turns into a hot mess after sleeping on it.

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

It all depends on your hair type too. I have to wash mine every single day or it feels greasy and yucky. I don't think it looks bad but the feeling of skipping a wash is close to unbearable to me. I try to let it go once in a while because I dye it red and red rinses out so easy.. But I only skip on days I don't have to work or interact with people :P

jet approves

I wash my hair every other day, using dry shampoo on my bangs in between. It must be working because hairdressers claim they "can tell I take great care of it" even though I either blow dry and straighten it every day. Suckers.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

yep I think it depends on hair type. When I say 'wash', I mean get it wet and put shampoo on it. I don't really do one without the other. I wash it every second or third day, it looks ok inbetween. In Japan I wouldn't have told anyone this though, since they think it's supergross to not wash and shampoo your hair every - single - day. But Personally I think that's overkill, and yes, hair starts to suffer and get greasier faster if you keep stripping it of its natural oils (that sounds gross I know but your scalp produces stuff you need so things don't get dry and brittle up there). Soooo yeah.

Goldendust

I find I have to wash my hair every day, it knots up during the day/ overnight because I always wear it out, andI can't get the tangles out without conditioner when it's this long. Wetting my hair and not putting in shampoo seems to cause more tangles somehow? My hair is superfine and I have the most unbelievable inability to style my own hair (hence I wear it out all the time). Maybe because I find that I have to condition it daily, bobby pins just fall out and it doesn't even tease. Maybe I need to get a shower cap and put my hair up when I sleep? I don't know. It's a vicious cycle.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

This thread is Fascinating, I'm not sure when or where but I just know that this information is going to prove invaluable at some stage in my life; marooned on a desert island with some hot Vidal Sassoon employees, or perhaps when I fulfill my life long dream to star in a broadway production of 'Shampoo'. Thinks ladies.

tragos

I use shampoo maybe once a month? My hair doesn't really like it. I condition every day.

Manupix

Problem solved.

Omair

I thought they meant like, get in showers.

Omair

Like, dang girl, you a pirate?

Chipmnk

I wash my hair every other day or other other day. Hair looks better with a little grease.

Vodkalyn
jet approves said:

I wash my hair every other day, using dry shampoo on my bangs in between.

This is pretty much my routine exactly. My hair is so dry that if I shampooed it every day, it would be a frizzy mess constantly. Plus it pretty much does what I tell it to, so if I curl it on the day I wash it, those curls might stick around for 2-3 days if I don't get it wet at all.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

It is normal for your hair to feel oily or overly greasy once you start to try and skip days. This is because your hairs oils are over producing to compensate for the normal daily wash. It'll feel greasy for a few weeks until your ph balance balances out. I wash my hair about 3 times a week now, and used to do it daily a couple years ago. Since then, my dry hair has become softer and has less frizz. I also save $ on shampoo and conditioner. I actually like my hair better when it's dirty/unwashed now because it's easier to style.

Chipmnk

I used to wash my hair twice a day. Not great.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

kimby, try braiding your hair when you go to sleep. Or even doing a top bun. This will help with tangles plus give you nice waves the next day.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

I moonlight as a Vidal Sassoon hair stylist.

pyr4lis

haha .. well I'd be inclined to listen to Mezo. She has really really pretty hair :D I tried the dry shampoo thing before. I found one once that was really nice but the stupid airline peoples confiscated it on my return trip even though the oz were under their limit. I have one now but it kinda sucks.. and I can't remember what the good one was.

Like Kimby I have super fine baby hair, although there is alot of it. Even with my hair short (shoulder length) I find that it knots and tangles up overnight and I wake up with what I've been calling "bride of frankenstein" hair. I comb it out and it still stays all kinked up with major cowlicks unless I wash it.

I also sweat hard every day... whether it's from a power yoga class (heated rooms) or morning bootcamp or crossfit.. I'm nasty and sweaty. I can't skip washing my hair unless I skip the sweat time too :P

Chipmnk

I hope Stef braids my hair the next time I see her.

Twiggyhall

Chicks like to talk about this kind of meaningless crap sometimes, Chris

I wash my hair everyday. Unless it's going to be a stay-in-jammies-all-Sunday kind of day or something.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

Anything for alwins.

Yeah, Lor, if you're crazy sweaty it's probably best you wash after. That said, you do hot yogas?! Dang, gurl! The idea of yogaing in a room of sweaty shoeless strangers scares me. Do you find it more beneficial than regular air conditioned yoga?

WarDrobeInSpareOom

I wash my hair every other day. Any more than that, and it looks reaaaaaaally greasy, which is just not attractive on blond hair.

Since I've worked with food for the past decade, it's almost always up anyhow.

pyr4lis

haha yeah i love it. seriously i feel so good. but having a clean studio and the right stuff helps. They also have showers.. which lots of yoga studios don't. Basically you have the regular yoga mat but you buy this extra yoga mat sized towel with little grippys on the bottom so it stays put. Helps with the grossness having your own person mat and towel. :D Also the heat and humidity balance they use feels very fresh.. I've been going for quite a few months to different branches and the rooms never smell.

Also the Core Power Yoga I've been going to is NOT Bikram hot yoga.. two totally different things. Seattle actually has a branch of the studio I go to in the Ballard neighborhood website here

[+duracell-]

dot foldered for future reference

nikolina100

I never knew people washed their hairs without shampoo. Doesn't that just make you smell like a wet dog? I wash mine every other day, just cuz if I don't my bangs look grease ballish. But I've been meaning to try that dry shampoo stuff...I think that would work for my bangs!

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

nik, You can also just get a sexy shower cap and put up all your hair, but your bangs, and wet/wash only them in the shower. I do that sometimes when I seem to have slept on my face and my bangs stick straight up in the morning.

Cool, lori, I've never done a yoga class (hot or not). Prefer working out in the comfort of my own house. But I should look into getting a yoga mat. Rug burn hurts yo.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

HA! I love the name!

Twiggyhall

OMG I want that shower cap

I would so wear that for drunken karaoke

littlem

i just don't like how my hair smells when i haven't washed it.

and i'm super sensitive to perfumey stuff, so trying to disguise the greasy smell with perfumes is not an option.

i do, often, like the way it looks in the morning, though. even though i haven't washed it since the morning or day before.

such dilemmas.

littlem

fyi: i did not shower nor did i wash my hair before i went to art workshop today.

fyi: i just showered, but decided not to wash my hair. i did condition the ends, though.

experiments

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

Hey annhole, I sometimes use a hair serum or lotion on days I don't wash, it tames the fly a ways that smell nice but not over powering. TIGI has fresh/clean smelling stuff that isn't perfumy.

nikolina100

I enjoy the smell of this... I use it after I blow dry. and then I sniff my hair all day long!!!

pyr4lis

I love this ColorProof Plushlocks stuff myself. I was given a sample to try by a colorist and I'm hooked. And it smells divine.. kind of like coconuts :)

littlem

oh yeah, stefhole. i have some stuff i use that's not too offensive smelling most of the time.

this stuff:

jet approves

My favorite dry shampoo is actually cheapo Suave brand. It's ~$3 and works great for me.

Goldendust

Wow. You ladies are the best. I think I'll conduct some hair experiments of my own :)

Also, lol@BONACURE.

littlem

bonercure

Goldendust

Cures all the boners.

Thanks for the link rubberducky, I'll have to check it out! :)

Omair

I wash my hair every day, but I can never wash away the stench of my enemies blood. Vengeance.

OwlsOnTheBrain

Wow. I need more discussions like this in my life...

I've always wondered this same thing, Kimby... Thanks for asking this question because I wouldn't have known it was allowed on the Threadless forum :D

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

girls are dumb and smell

spacesick

I mean girls are nice and smell pretty

spacesick

I'm going to die alone

littlem

with or without beautiful hair?

Page: