Close
One second...

Yay that bug ligthsabered it's way through submission board and it's up! Thx!

http://beta.threadless.com/threadless/uncommon-bug-2/

Updated so here are the last two options…

if you think the pin is needed or I just dump it, it's too much, it's ugly, it sucks…

do I need to add horns on it's back (like Mr. Maul), these kind of bugs don't have any and I'm not sure wether they are needed or not

or maybe make the antennas bright glowing red like light sabers?

Voilà, your comments are welcome, thx!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

YEah, no Pin

soloyo

and dark maul didn't use two lightsabers just one long one with two ends, maybe add a branch where your bugs is standing on with lighter ends on the branch?? How about the horns? didn't Dark maul had horns??

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni

Tsssk tssk Nestor… I mentioned the horns in the post. I just don't know if I have to stick as much to the real Maul. But yeah, I probably should and add some horns to make it better. As for the branch, nope cause i want it to be like an entomologist study, that's why I drew the pin at first, but you guys are right, it doesn't fit in nicely, that's why I thought about the antennas at first.

v_calahan

Thx Paper Crane! Well, at first it was blue (like Obi One's light saber when he slices him…), which is also distracting anyways, but then, you know, always trying to have less colors thing happened! :P

kimkong1014
kimkong1014 profile pic Alumni

I agree with others. Get rid of the pin! It's awesome! If you could make hundreds of them then make it as a pattern would be so good. with diff. faces and bugs of course.

NOTBlowingSmoke

yes, dump the pin. i didn't even notice it until you mentioned it.

i really like the idea of glowing antena like red sabers.

this is a beautiful illustration. future 5 for me as well! love the text at the bottom too.

v_calahan

Thx buddies, ok, I'm 99,9% convinced to dump the pin… And I'll give a try with glowing red antennas. What about the horns? Do I add them? I would do them just under the head on the upper body section.

soloyo

With or without horns , this is awesome

v_calahan

Without pin, red glowin' antennas… still don't know about the horns, might give it a try and post an update so you fellas can judge

NOTBlowingSmoke

raster vs vector. raster = pixel based. vector = mathematical curves.

raster would be photoshop, vector would be illustrator.

soloyo

Spoiler Blog Material

v_calahan

Oh it's photoshop, I suck at illustrator when it comes to drawing, I've seen peeps that are very good with it and can almost do anything, but I just don't get the feeling and control I find in photoshop when I draw with illustrator, probably because I've always used it more in design an type work and never used the illustration possibilities. Damn am I talkative today! :)

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

No horns, no pin. I immediately got the reference without the horns so I don't think they're necessary.

NOTBlowingSmoke

i figured as much.

i feel like the styles that i would LIKE to achieve in my work are probably better suited for photoshop, but i'm so used to illustrator i don't even know where to start in photoshop. lol.

prob because photoshop is more for like... freehand-ish drawing? which i suck at.

v_calahan

Yep, it.s more like hand drawing I guess, with the imperfections, and since I use a graphic tab, there is the pen pressure thing that feels better in photoshop´ even if U can get that in ill. as well. Mmm, I'm more no horns but I'll try a last thing, smaller horns, with more shadowing and then it'll be easier to choose. Thx Infamous!

v_calahan

Honestly? Thought of it but dunno. I know threadless had to take off at least one printed design (inked stormtrooper, don't remember the excact title, by skyliner) so it's an issue for sure. Maybe if I forget the horns, taking a little astray? Btw if anyone from staff has an idea on that, I'd appreciate!

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni

In the Treble Makers sub I had a few weeks ago I originally had a treble clef that looked like Darth Vader and had to get rid of him b/c of copyright issues.

Screw you George Lucas....and your flannel shirts too.

NOTBlowingSmoke

well Lucas doesn't own it anymore right? now it's disney. and threadless and disney are bffs, right? so can we do it now pleeeeeeeeeease?

v_calahan

Aww... that smells bad... Lucas or Disney are BOTH the worst bullies on the playground when it comes to parody... And since diznee works with threadless I guess this is a no go. I'll sub but the dark side of copyright is always winning in these matters. Btw Perry did threadless ask you to do so or was it Mickee himself?

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni

That would have been awesome if I got a personalized denial letter from Mickey....but alas, it was only Threadless :(

I also remember a news story I saw years ago where Disney was suing a daycare because they had painted murals on their walls of Disney characters. Nice....it's all about the kids right Disney?

NOTBlowingSmoke

whoa.... that's hardcore. :(

i say sub it anyway and see what happens.

worst case you could try tee fury? don't they throw copyright to the wind because they only sell for 24 hours?

v_calahan

So if staff has the obligation to delete any reference even on old and unprinted subs… But here it is anyways :P

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

The design looks great now. The only thing I would edit is the shadow underneath the bug. The area around the glowing antenae should have no shadow and the shadow should have some variation. Other than that this is so good to go.

v_calahan

Thx Musarter, well the light comes from above with a slight left angle, but yep, maybe I should diminish somehow it under the antennas, what do you mean by variation, more blurred toward the edges and center darkened?

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

i love the horns but i'd like to see them slightly smaller that said, it works just as well without them too

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us