Close
One second...

Why has this been printed?

Watch this
jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

It a design that was part of his artist collection.

see the artist collections here

also, i don't see anything wrong with the design? it's nice and simple.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

I don't see the need to both post this blog and the comment on the product page, but also what Jeffers said.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

what's wrong with it? why shouldn't it have been printed?

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
  • blog explodes
The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni

Sorry I forgot to say it was part of a collection created by the artist including this one :P

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

^ hahhahaahahahahaha

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni
BeanePod said:

^ hahhahaahahahahaha

LOL

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

No more needs to be said. So great.

The Paper Crane said:

Sorry I forgot to say it was part of a collection created by the artist including this one :P

firion
digsy said:

what's wrong with it? why shouldn't it have been printed?

There's nothing wrong obviously, it's just that there are a lot of nice and simple designs. I wonder what made this tee being chosen. I didn't know it was part of a collection, but this doesn't change my doubts. I could make the same question for the "paper sailor" or the "f*ck you" that The Paper Crane kindly showed me!

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni

;D

I think you have to appreciate the designers simple and distinctive style. You could ask the same question about any number of designs on threadless if based on your own personal taste.

Daviisilva

that was unnecessary really - Jeff already had answered him politely

[+duracell-]

a lot of people like that season I suppose

firion
The Paper Crane said:

;D

I think you have to appreciate the designers simple and distinctive style. You could ask the same question about any number of designs on threadless if based on your own personal taste.

It's not a matter of my taste! I appreciate this and other simple designs. But think that you are a member of the threadless staff. What are the criteria that lead you to print it? Scoring? Comments? Or other? Usually one can consider the technical aspects like drawing rendering ecc.. but in this case you can't! That's why I'm asking this!

Drake Rowland

I think a better question is, "Did anyone actually purchase this shirt?"

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I think that the design has a gentle, niave quality, its cute. True its not some elaborate bayeux tapestry, Mario, Dr Who mash up, but in its own quiet way it says something nice.

I think phrasing questions like this is hardly the road to a constructive dialogue. I don't wish to sound rude (which is probably exactly how this is going to sound), but your work isn't particularly astounding, which doesn't mean you shouldn't have an opinion, but it does make you sound like the other 100s of new people that over estimate their own work and then resent others for not liking it too.

You don't run Threadless and neither do I, so its not up to us.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

For $20 a pop, I doubt many.

firion
Wharton said:

I think that the design has a gentle, niave quality, its cute. True its not some elaborate bayeux tapestry, Mario, Dr Who mash up, but in its own quiet way it says something nice.

I think phrasing questions like this is hardly the road to a constructive dialogue. I don't wish to sound rude (which is probably exactly how this is going to sound), but your work isn't particularly astounding, which doesn't mean you shouldn't have an opinion, but it does make you sound like the other 100s of new people that over estimate their own work and then resent others for not liking it too.

You don't run Threadless and neither do I, so its not up to us.

I think that you misunderstood my post. I specified that I'm not polemic and I don't resent anyone. We don't run Threadless but a designer has the right to know what are the criteria that are used to print a tee because he will take care of them when producing his design. There are 100s of designs that are scored, and a lot of them are really great, but only a few are printed. So I was asking why such a tee prevailed on other beautiful and professional works.

[+duracell-]

How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.

Really, they just print what they want. I mean, they chose him to do an artist series and then he made what he wanted. At least that's the way I understand it. Maybe it wouldn't have been printed on its own, sans series. shrug

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

I don't feel I need to explain my art to you, Warren.

littlem

yeah, kinda what duracell said regarding the

"Really, they just print what they want. I mean, they chose him to do an artist series and then he made what he wanted. At least that's the way I understand it. Maybe it wouldn't have been printed on its own, sans series. shrug"

you never really can know, for sure, what is going to catch the eye at any given moment. sometimes the choice is plainly and universally obvious. many times it's just subjective. and not everyone is going to like every single piece that is printed. and everyone has their right to like or dislike whatever.

right? right.

amen. hallelujah! :p

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

i see designs all the time that make me instantly think (why did they print that) but i always know that it's not up to me and no one really cares if i don't think something should have gotten printed or not so why bother posting a blog about it, just don't worry about it because threadless prints a lot of different styles and genres so it's not like they have a specific set of criteria you have to meet in order to get a print besides proper files and what not.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I don't mean to split hairs here, but if you were just curious about what are the criteria for Threadless picking a design then you should have asked that and not singled out a specific design and title the blog 'Why has this been printed?' It inherently sounds judgemental.

littlem

wharton has a point. but, oftentimes, when one complains or asks questions regarding criteria of why seemingly inferior designs are getting printed, etc, people ask for specific examples.

amirite? or amirite?

littlem

anyway, what it all boils down to is: blame wharton

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

Umm because it's a beautifully simple typography design with some illustration?? It's well done.. well layed out on the tee.. and is a clever play on the "I heart" various stuff touristy shirts.

Not every design needs to be an over designed "masterpiece" ... humor.. wit.. cleverness... concept.. visual appeal all lead to a successful design. You also need to remember that everyone has different tastes and some people like complex designs and some like simple.... some people like parody designs and others don't.

Threadless does their best to recognize and print a range of designs to suit their customer base. But they can't print every single great design. They can't do it. They print what they can and what they like and what they feel will sell.

Apparently many people do love the I heart autumn tee as they're nearly sold out already for both guys and girls.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
pyr4lis said:

Umm because it's a beautifully simple typography design with some illustration?? It's well done.. well layed out on the tee.. and is a clever play on the "I heart" various stuff touristy shirts.

Not every design needs to be an over designed "masterpiece" ... humor.. wit.. cleverness... concept.. visual appeal all lead to a successful design. You also need to remember that everyone has different tastes and some people like complex designs and some like simple.... some people like parody designs and others don't.

Threadless does their best to recognize and print a range of designs to suit their customer base. But they can't print every single great design. They can't do it. They print what they can and what they like and what they feel will sell.

Apparently many people do love the I heart autumn tee as they're nearly sold out already for both guys and girls.

I stand corrected. It was not my least favorite of the series and I personally thought it was not that clever; I would think this style needs to be clever to work. Apparently I have no idea what I am talking about in the broader Threadless world.

the czar

I wouldn't wear any of the shirts in that collection but that stands for most of the stuff printed nowadays. Same with the Jeremyville collection. I didn't understand what made Threadless go with that. I don't really understand this place anymore lol. We need Cactuspirate's "I don't get you" graphic haha

Goldendust

Because, it's a parody of I heart NY that focuses on a relatable subject, drawn in a cute style.

I think it works pretty well.

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

Yeah I think with that particular design it works. Im totally not defending any of the others.. And I personally don't "get" the jeremyville stuff. I would not have pegged that as very threadlessy. But I'm just happy they have a wide variety of styles. I may not love everything that gets picked but I do love that there is no real predictable formula to getting a print. :) everyone has a chance if they have a strong concept and work hard.

No account?
Join Us