Draft 2....

OMG GUYS AM I READY TO SUB??!!

jk

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Dreamspace

Would make the face a bit cuter. would be nice if there are some texture. Look a bit 1 dimensional.And the hands are bit weird looking. There are enough T-rex submissions that you can look at and get some ideas.

RubberDuckyUrThe1

this is like the roughest draft ever. it has light years to go, i know.

truth is i'm kinda stuck in terms of 'styling' it.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

It's a solid idea, def work at it. I'd like to see him in some butt ugly golfing clothes - a hat at least, maybe some trousers that stop halfway up his legs

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

i agree golf gear would be cool!

Vodkalyn

I love the hat idea. Could his arms be even shorter? It looks like it he just bent over a bit he might be able to do it, and we can't have that. :)

ASterling

Be careful about the white part - it looks like a diaper right now. ditto with other commenters. A great idea!! Very funny.

RubberDuckyUrThe1

aw thanks guys! i'm concerned tho that my illustration skills may not be good enough yet to fully develop this.

any awesome artists like this concept and wanna collab?

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

You can do it....Just think if what would've happened if Keith Urbine thought "You know what, I just don't have the skills to make this spoon stick to my nose." Luckily for us all, he never gave up.....he stuck with it.....spoon be damned!

RubberDuckyUrThe1

lol BeanePod. thanks for the encouragement. :)

i'm still not as confident in my skills as you are tho...

BeanePod

Spoonface Keith is turning over in his grave right now.... I also have a Lionel Ritchie motivational poster too if that helps :)

RubberDuckyUrThe1

ahahaha.

i can try, but i'm not great at like freehand drawing.

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

He's just not using the right club. T-Rex should get fitted so he can use the right club for the shot. Sorry golf design is my thing. ;-)

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I think its a nice idea, but it could use a little more work. I would change up the pose a bit, have him hunched over the ball trying to extend his arms and club towards the ball, this'll emphasise the space better. I would also add either a little bit of shading or a slight texture to the colour just to break up the flatness.

Take your time don't rush it and keep updating this WIP.

BeanePod

listen to wharton.....wharton knows. and also listen to lionel.....lionel knows too.

BeanePod

That's just the Lionel talking...

RubberDuckyUrThe1

ok so here is draft 2... there is no shading whatsoever and some things still need work, and these are not final colors, but please let me know ur thoughts...

Dreamspace

Not sure of the brown trousers though.

Vodkalyn

I think plaid would be amazing, at least for the hat. I really like the shorter arms.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Vodkalyn said:

I think plaid would be amazing, at least for the hat. I really like the shorter arms.

def needs to be plaid

vastard

cool :)

Vodkalyn

I'm a fan.

RubberDuckyUrThe1

i feel like he's too flat looking, and i want to add some shading/texture, but i'm not sure of the right "style" that wouldn't conflict with the cartoony nature.

BeanePod

haha, much better. now you're getting there. :)

bortwein

the teeth need some fixing. The green rounded things feel odd to me.

RubberDuckyUrThe1

would white teeth be better? i made them rounded cuz i don't want him to appear scary/fierce, more cute and friendly

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

looking good, but the one thing that stands out for me at the moment is that he's very flat - he needs shading, maybe some texture

RubberDuckyUrThe1
digsy said:

looking good, but the one thing that stands out for me at the moment is that he's very flat - he needs shading, maybe some texture

i know!! that's what i'm having trouble with... i was experimenting with taking him into photoshop and using textured-ish brushes to shade him, but the peanut gallery (my boyfriend) keeps telling me it doesn't match with the cartoony style.

:(

bortwein

to make t-rex teeth less scary doesn't mean you need to make them round and not white. Try to use a rounded triangle that has a wide base to it so the point is not very pointy. It's t-rex he needs some teeth.

bortwein

better. Now what color shirt are you planning on? Kelly Green? Forest Green? Yellow? I think a color would be better than a white or grey.

BeanePod

yep, mo better. forest green could be really nice. what about denim/light blue color since he's outdoors? should probably add something for context in the background as well so he's not just floating around in space. like a muted fairway with a flag in the distance?

tiny zooming in bearded nod of approval

RubberDuckyUrThe1

you guys are amazing :)

my first instinct was a green tee, kelly or leaf. and i like the idea of a simple background, i'll work on that.

does he still need texture/shading? i was playing around in photoshop and came up with this, but not sure if i like it...

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

With or without shading there's something very flat and basic about it still , I think it's the outline. Either lose it completely or thicken it and weight it in parts.

I also think if he going to be simple he needs to be styalised a lot more - he's somewhere between the two at the moment - realistic-ish shape, cartoon flatness

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

^Disgy is on the money, he is a little halffy halfy at the moment. I would worry less about style and shading right now and more about the basic form and getting that right first.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

I would worry less about style and shading right now and more about the basic form and getting that right first.

i actually preferred the style if not the stance of the original dude. google some cute t-rex images. some of them are too cute, but there's some great reference for some good illustration styles in there too

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

i agree i liked the original stance too

bortwein

the old stance is a bad golf stance. Way too upright. The new stance is more true to golf. Don't go back.

bortwein

maybe try a version where you ditch the clothing. The original concept didn't have clothes so why should the new one.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us