Close
One second...

Need critique for "WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD" WIP

Finally got around to inking this old sketch in my pad. Any helpful crits and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Watch this
parallelish
1 design submitted - Score now!

cool the house looks kinda weird, maybe give it a circle door like a hobbit home

dBranes

Vincent,

Good work, Have to agree with paralleish. house looks odd compared to the rest of the piece. Maybe a bit more detail on the house? Make it a bit smaller?

good luck --db

voodazz

Thanks for the crits! I remodeled and added some detail to the house.

dBranes

Vincent,

Wow. I think you hit the mark with this version! Excellent! I think its time to submit this bad boy.

Good luck --db

soloyo-collabs

why Tinkerbell? does she lives on a small house? I was expecting to see a half eaten smurf

voodazz

First attempt at messing around with some color. Still a WIP :P

voodazz

Crits and suggestions are always welcomed of course.

Mantichore

wow nice. first thought: the fairy (tinkerbell?) isn't in the same style as the rest, but that's mayybe 'cause it's a wip?

digsy

the detail and shading in this are amazing! i get what mantichore is saying about Tinkerbell, but then it helps here stand out and she IS Tinkerbell after all - she looks like she does and leaving her like that make her recognisable, even if it's by butt and wings alone!

voodazz
Mantichore said:

wow nice. first thought: the fairy (tinkerbell?) isn't in the same style as the rest, but that's mayybe 'cause it's a wip?

Good call. I want to make the fairy who by no means bears any association to Disney's Tinkterbell and any resemblance to Tinkerbell or any other Disney character is purely coincidental.... ahem... yeah, that should stick....

Anyway, I went with the rather flat color style to contrast the rest of the piece. I'll go back and add some highlights to the wings and the rest of the fairy who is not Tinkerbell (please don't sue me, almighty Disney juggernaut!)

Musarter
1 design submitted - Score now!

The house looks a bit like a hobbit hill. Why not make the food a hobbit? If not, the ideas mentioned are on the right course.

By the way, the illustration is super good. Nice work.

voodazz
Musarter said:

The house looks a bit like a hobbit hill. Why not make the food a hobbit? If not, the ideas mentioned are on the right course.

By the way, the illustration is super good. Nice work.

Fairies are more bite-sized. :) Also, after my exhaustive research on mystical architecture (hah) I noticed that hobbits, gnomes, elves, sprites, pixies fairies, etc homes have a lot of similarities.

voodazz

Added some more little tweaks and details. Need to work the frame and background more. Torn on the sparkles.

voodazz

Some further tweaks to the color, foreground and background. Any and all crits and suggestions are welcomed.

voodazz

And the tweaking continues. More tweakin's with the background and sparkles. Thoughts and crits welcomed.

voodazz

Man, tough crowd. Listen to all those crickets.

mister.o

I love it just the way it is. If I were inclined to add something, I'll just add a small, creepy moon/clouds in the sky to complement the overall mood you've got.

voodazz

Hmm... I like the moon idea. Thanks!

ashtrashbigash

smaller moon, or move it more behind

voodazz

Good point. Here's the smaller moon version. I think the addition of the moon in general has some potential.

mister.o

Hmm.. It looks nice and it adds to the mood. two things though: I'm with ashtrashbigash on moving it further behind, maybe not showing all of it. Try having it appear from behind the house or the mushrooms (maybe behind the mushrooms is better because it doesn't break the overall balance of the image). I would also add some moon texture to it to make it more grim / threatening.

voodazz

Very good point. I moved the moon and darkened up the texture as well as adding a faint glow to the upper part of the zombie's head.

mister.o

Nice, I like it so far. Okay try this: try nudging the moon to the left and stop right before it reaches the chimney. When it's in that position, try to extend some crooked branches from the vegetation coming out of the right side of the roof and let it come over a part of the moon.

voodazz

Pretty sweet idea about the branches especially since there's already some vegetation next to the house. Thanks!

voodazz

Another tweak with an added branch in front of the moon and a couple of new sparkles... wee!

voodazz

First shirt placement test.

voodazz

Two more shirt tests

voodazz

Let's try this again without the spam.

Mantichore

I like black the most

dBranes

voodazz,

Wow, I love how your design has evolved! I poked my head in on your design thread once in awhile to see the progress. A lesson for all of us indeed especially those of us still learning. Thank you for show and sharing the process to a successful design. Great design. My friend, its ready for submission!

Good Luck --db

PS: Forum Masters/Admin, Is it possible to some how make this wonderful evolutionary journey available to others to see for the historical records? Something like a "The design process in the really world" Howto/follow an artist's process thingy?

voodazz

Thanks a lot of the input, everyone! I find the critique and development process invaluable on Threadless because people always point out little nuances that I missed or didn't consider and that does nothing but help me in the long run and make me designs just a little bit stronger.

I have finally submitted this design and hopefully it gets accepted. Thanks again for the critiques and tips, everyone!

No account?