Close
One second...

UrbanOutfitters has some creative designers

Watch this
PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Forever21 is the same way. It's the "Do it like this, but shittier" corporate mentality. No qualms about ripping stuff off as long as it makes them some bucks.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

this is the worst part - i stopped by the Urbanoutfitters STORE my cousin works at the other day.. and look what i found. THEY SELL A FREAKIN PRINT OF THE ORIGINAL AND THEN THEY RIP IT? lmao

jeffreyg

(that is a legit print, via their partnership with society6)

OwlsOnTheBrain

Urban Outfitters is pretty much just a terrible business. They also donate to anti-gay charities and stuff. :/

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

UO donates to anti gay groups?? seems like every time ive been in there there was a gay employee working (male and/or female)... weird, i guess they just didn't know... then again neither did i.

glad i stopped shopping there a while ago.

PeculiarTiffany

I love their clothes... the fact that they do that makes me sad. :-(

AlanBao
AlanBao profile pic Alumni

Buh. What originality. The Todd Goldmans of the clothing world.

I wish it were possible to merge all the people pull this sorta crap into one collective entity so I can kick it in the balls.

micheleficeli

I think Mathiole already pointed out that they were ripping one of his design printed here ("alt of ctrl"). Too bad it's quite a big and well-known company to do so.

Also, is this another rip or am i wrong?

sebastianblonde

UO donates to anti gay groups??

what are they, scouts?

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!
TheInfamousBaka said:

Forever21 is the same way. It's the "Do it like this, but shittier" corporate mentality. No qualms about ripping stuff off as long as it makes them some bucks.

Well said.

littlem
TheInfamousBaka said:

I love their clothes... the fact that they do that makes me sad. :-(

[+duracell-]

I don't even know what an anti-gay group is

craquehaus

Urban Outfitters is notorious for this - there was a big deal a couple years ago about UO ripping off a jewelry line from an Etsy artist and there's that Johnny Cupcake design, and I'm sure you can search for more complaints.

I'd submit this to consumerist.

jeffreyg
[+duracell-] said:

I don't even know what an anti-gay group is

people that don't like the gheys

[+duracell-]

They sell clothes to people, but they don't like people. That's quite the predicament.

RubberDuckyUrThe1

Threadless/S6 does nothing and let's them rip off designs?

PeculiarTiffany

I think something that isn't a direct rip isn't something you can build a case against. Like that one guy on Society6 that does art eerily similar to other artists... but they can't do shit cause he's just copying the concept, not the actual art itself.

sebastianblonde

so, they hate the artists, the designers and the gays. what a beautiful combo :S go away you demons!

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

This is terrible. I'm sorry for Phil and the rest of the artists who have been so blatantly ripped off. Urban Outfitters should be ashamed of this corrupt practice and more importantly be held accountable for such shady business practices. Obviously they have been doing this for a while, so I'm not sure what the chances are that anything could be done. One thing is for sure, I, they lost a customer just now.

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

lol @ selling the original print

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

BOOO that makes me upset!!

jeffreyg
spacesick said:

lol @ selling the original print

right? haha i had just texted phil that pic the other day. SHAME SHAME SHAMEEEEEEEEEE

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
Ragnampiza said:

Also, is this another rip or am i wrong?

Not a rip. Gemma Correll's shirts are one of the few good things in UO.

Morkki
1 design submitted -

Yeah, same artist

micheleficeli

Oh, maybe you're right and probably it's not a rip, then. Weird thing nonetheless, tho.

Out Of Bounds

I work for Urban Outfitters and it's a great company. Before anyone accuses UO of ripping people off, take into consideration how many Threadless designs (printed and otherwise) have been based on other artists' work. Nothing is original anymore.

I just joined this site, please go easy on me with your responses/rebuttals.

jeffreyg
Out Of Bounds said:

I work for Urban Outfitters and it's a great company. Before anyone accuses UO of ripping people off, take into consideration how many Threadless designs (printed and otherwise) have been based on other artists' work. Nothing is original anymore.

I just joined this site, please go easy on me with your responses/rebuttals.

you don't find it weird that they actually sell the original print in the store too? :P

Out Of Bounds

"you don't find it weird that they actually sell the original print in the store too?"

I find it more funny/ironic than anything else.

Morkki
1 design submitted -

UO thrives on irony. And overpriced plaid shirts.

MX13

Sorry "Out of Bounds", but that's a big ole pile o' BS. Whether or not infringement of an artist's work is commonplace or not is irrelevant. Theft is theft. This isn't a case of the work being close, this isn't coincidental, this is blatant and it's not okay. Whether "everyone else is doing it" or not.

AlanBao
AlanBao profile pic Alumni
MX13 said:

Sorry "Out of Bounds", but that's a big ole pile o' BS. Whether or not infringement of an artist's work is commonplace or not is irrelevant. Theft is theft. This isn't a case of the work being close, this isn't coincidental, this is blatant and it's not okay. Whether "everyone else is doing it" or not.

^^^ Yep.

freshworldwizzy

I think the clothes are ok but I think they charge to high for something like average.

No account?
Join Us