Close
One second...

"The Classy Dude" // Could you tell me your toughts about it?

I just finished my latest design and I would be so glad to know your toughts about it.
Let me start off by saying that my aim is just improving my skills so if you think it sucks, please don't hesitate to say that, don't worry, I won't get angry or depressed lol
Anyway I want you to tell me how can I make it better, please let me know!

Here it is:

Watch this
chasing_chimera

Wow. This is quite complete to me. Two thumbs up! All the best =)

maeshanne

I like the concept. But one little thing that isn't correct. The head should be placed more to the front, now the chin aligns with the bow tie, and normally the chin sticks out a bit.

NOTBlowingSmoke

I agree with the above comment. The face as a whole looks a little smushed. I would also want to see a line of bone to separate the eye and nose holes. And I don't think the headphones need the white highlights on them, you only use shadows everywhere else so it seems weird.

thatguy2

You can always mix shadows and highlights. But the problem I have is that the designs seems to have two distinct styles mixed together. The headphones and tux look like a cartoon while the skull looks like a highly stylized sketch. He also looks like he is in water. And I agree then chin should move forward. My advice would be to match the skull drawing to the rest or visa versa.

Bobsworld
MyronMHouse said:

You can always mix shadows and highlights. But the problem I have is that the designs seems to have two distinct styles mixed together. The headphones and tux look like a cartoon while the skull looks like a highly stylized sketch. He also looks like he is in water. And I agree then chin should move forward. My advice would be to match the skull drawing to the rest or visa versa.

Yeah, i didn't notice the problem with the chin, I'm definitively going to fix it. But by moving the skull forward, would it be ok to cover a little bit the bow tie? My other question now is how can I mix together those two styles? I don't want to revise the skull beacause I like it a lot, so obviously I'm gonna work on the rest. What you suggest doing? Thank you in advance for your help in this matter, I look forward to your reply :D

thatguy2

I suggest drawing the tux and the headphones using the same line style as the skull...simple

Bobsworld

I tried to follow all of yours instructions, is it now better or i just ruined the original work? Put a line between the nose and the eye, moved the head a little bit forward and added this "line style" to the headphones and the collar.. but I'm still not 100% satisfied with that.. what else should i do? T_T

tronbeardsley
tronbeardsley profile pic Alumni

I think you should have more consistency with that line pattern you have on the face. It's very interesting, but makes the solid black on the tux and on the headphones a little bland. Try to incorporate that line pattern into the solid black areas (so it would be grey lines on black) as well as on the bow tie (like you did on the headphones), if that makes any sense.

ragzy

Try going with a black bowtie so your eye isn't instantly drawn to the red, rather than the funky headphones. Don't worry about the chin covering the tie a bit

Bobsworld

So.. I worked a lil bit on the bow tie, that's the result..

I don't like the idea of making it black, but i tried to make it less showy adding those lines . .. . .

tronbeardsley said:

I think you should have more consistency with that line pattern you have on the face. It's very interesting, but makes the solid black on the tux and on the headphones a little bland. Try to incorporate that line pattern into the solid black areas (so it would be grey lines on black) as well as on the bow tie (like you did on the headphones), if that makes any sense.

I also tried to follow your instructions but adding grey lines to the tux in my opinion makes all so weird, here it is Is it really worth it?

Sir Paint-a-Lot

This has improved so much from the first image, it's a really good example of this forum working well! there are just two things that I find annoying about this image firstly it's just the fact that the tiny bit of white collar from the shirt isn't outlined when everything else is its a detail but yaknow and also the skeleton guys head still isn't quite placed right maybe it's because it's too big or maybe it could go more forward again so that the back of the head is almost in line with the back of the collar, also the headphone strap looks at bit odd in my opinion but I think I should stop now..

Sir Paint-a-Lot

This has improved so much from the first image, it's a really good example of this forum working well! there are just two things that I find annoying about this image firstly it's just the fact that the tiny bit of white collar from the shirt isn't outlined when everything else is its a detail but yaknow and also the skeleton guys head still isn't quite placed right maybe it's because it's too big or maybe it could go more forward again so that the back of the head is almost in line with the back of the collar, also the headphone strap looks at bit odd in my opinion but I think I should stop now..

Bobsworld
Sir Paint-a-Lot said:

I am definitvely gonna work more on the details.. Anyway is it a big problem the head not perfectly placed? I've been working a lot on this design and actually I don't see anything weird.. I mean, I tried to put it more forward again but in that way my character seems hunchbacked.. so I tried to make the head smaller too. Yep, in that way looks a lot more realistic but it lose its "cartoon" aspect, if you know what i mean. So i was wondering if the head placement as it is right now is a big issue?

Sir Paint-a-Lot

Actually you're right it doesn't look weird how it is now that I'm seeing it again , well it looks 'weird', but yeah :D and I see what you mean about the cartoon style, go for it! Can't wait to see it on the scoring page 5 from me good luck

Bobsworld

Thank you a lot Sir Paint-a-Lot, I'm so glad you like it, really! :D

Bobsworld

Added the line style also in the inside part of the collar, cause the details count!! ahahah Anyway, do you threadless community have any more tips? Do you still see anything wrong? please let me know :)

octootco

I think something that would help a lot with the chin issue is making the inside of his shirt collar darker, since it should be shadowed. Leaving it the same color as the background is flattening it.

No account?
Join Us