Close
One second...

I need help from my UK fellow Threadless mates! (and also from all of the other lovely EU peeps that may be close to the UK)

This was originally in the Alumni blog, but that made no sense. So... I'll just reblog it here.

"So... my lovely pretty little thing, which is my girlfriend-fiancee-wife-family-friend-and all things nice, is moving to Coventry next year to study. I don't want to be away from her... In fact, never again in my whole life.

I recently graduated in uni. I'm a freaking Graphic Designer. Yes, after 5 years, i a have a bachelor's degree (or what you guys may call it. i dunno). I am aware that the economy is not going that well in several EU countries, not much in the UK (but there's still the whole recession thing, and even though there's this sort of fairy tale aura over EU, i know unemployment is a reality everywhere around the globe, and yadda yadda yadda.) And in the UK there's no more possibility of obtaining a working visa if you're not in the EU (i believe this info to be accurate, i'm not 100% on this) but... this is it.

I want to know if you guys know any good art courses, things that are not graduate related (as you see i already have a degree and applying for complementary studies is not possible anymore)... that take like a year, or maybe less to complete. I was looking for something that was Illustration/Design. I'm sending emails everywhere, pleading, telling my sad story, and waiting to see if some blessed soul can help me out on this.

As i said, i'm not limited to the UK. Even though it would be perfect to be able to live in Coventry and be in a walking distance of her. I'd swim, walk, frolic... fuck me jesus, i'd fly to be with her. And i'm not talking "plane" fly, i'd grow freaking feathers and get there.

I thought of going somewhere under the pretext of "learning english" but i feel fine with my capabilities in this particular area. If i don't find something better... i will take that path. I'll go somewhere i can pay, pretend, work a lot and be with her.

Well. This is it. Love you guys a lot, may all of you lovely humans have a neat holiday and let's hope santa doesn't fill your socks with coal and ebola virus.

Thanks,
with all my heart,
yours truly (brazilian favourite),
Marcelo"

(:

Watch this
ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

*fellow UK

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

message aaron/randyotter. he went to coventry university

jeffreyg

also, what? im not moving to coventry ;P

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

i knew you'd come here, luv. (: We'll always have Paris and you know that. but i'll try and reach Aaron and ask for help.

I'm actually quite desperate. But i know i'm going to pull this one off... as always.

(:

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

Maybe try looking for a screen printing course or something like that? I'm in the UK, but been out of education for some time. I know there are some good universities in the midlands, might be worth checking out Birmingham. It's about 30mins away on the train.

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Hey Quick... Well, that's not a bad idea. The Problem is that i want to spend most of the time there... like... i might not be able to spend the whole year, and that's not actually a problem cause i do have work and deadlines here in the beginning of 2013.. and it gives me more time to raise some money for it. The amount i have saved so far would get me to the UK and keep me for maybe 3 months? And that's not only not worth it as it is not enough. I'll probably get work as soon as i get there, informal, cash paid work... but my computer and tablet are coming with me, so no stop on being ecsuecsu and putting out new work every now and then and keep trying to make a career out of it.

and there's the OTHER problem that, there's two ways of staying. i can get a 6 months visa over at immigration, if i have a some amount of money that's been pre determined by them. But it's non renewable. I'll have to go back to Brazil.

I was trying to make this worthwhile. She actually doesn't think it's a good idea to go and do nothing or study English. It would be money well spent for me, but she doesn't think that way... hahahhaa

So i was considering maybe going to Dublin, which is way cheaper to go... Stay there for a while at first and then go to England... I don't know yet what i should do.

I'm still trying to find a course... something to do with illustration and all. Something that didn't cost both my arms and a buttcheek, and lasted more than 6 months... Because If it took more than 6 months i could probably just go, before the course starts, struggle, work and stick around. Then take the course... stay more, spend the rest of the year. Be with her. Maybe travel around a bit, be happy, propose...

I'm tacky, i know it. But this is pretty much it.

quick-brown-fox

Not sure if this is a bad idea, but could you get any work as a translator from Portuguese to English? Your English seems really good. I know it's not art or design based, but maybe it would earn you enough £'s and get you a work visa. Many college courses run the academic year, which is September through to June/July.

It's tough, the only time I worked overseas it was all arranged for me in advance.

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Hi Ecsu

I can't comment on courses, but I can give some guidance on UK visas.

I take it you guys aren't married already? What is your lady's nationality if you don't mind saying? If she is European then you might be able to get a visa as her dependant if you are in a long term relationship.

Assuming you are not European, a work visa is likely out of the question as you say. It's not impossible, but you would need to get a job in the UK that the UK Border Agency considers "highly skilled" - something more senior than a standard graphic design position.

If she is on a visa as a student in the UK, it is possible to get a visa as a dependant of a student (husband/wife) but only where they are studying a high level course (i.e. masters/PhD) for longer than 12 months - so this may not apply to you.

Other than that, the options are as you say - come here for up to 6 months as a visitor and see if any other options or university courses open up while you are here.

I admire your commitment! Hope something opens up to make it work.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

Hey man, I've got no decent advice for you other than what the nice folks have already said but your post totally warms my heart and I have faith you can make it work! Aww true love!

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Hey you guys! Thanks a lot for the words and the help... really it means a lot.

@quick I don't know if i'm qualified enough for that job. I have a friend that is a translator, she works here in Brazil e she's not a native english speaker, but has been teaching english here for the past 15 years, and we talked once about this course she was taking here to be translator and she was telling me it was pretty tough and there were like, 20 different words for "walk".... like walking on shallow water, walking on snow, different words depending on the pace you took. Apart from that, i feel that if you give me a dictionary i would pretty much get the job done and all, but i feel that is a sort of job that requires a degree. i don't know... i won't toss that out, i give you that. i'll look for it. it is a great idea nonetheless...

@P0ckets

No man, we're not married... and our relationship was always weird, we had a few times that we were separated, but we are what we are. I guess we belong together. She's brazilian as well... she's taking a complementary time through this exchange program that our government has now... which doesn't include design, arts nor anything related to it. I was supposed to have german citizenship, but that was lost a long time ago and the only thing left is my surname.

Yeah and most of what you pointed there (thanks a lot for clearing a LOT of doubts i couldn't find answer anywhere) doesn't apply to me / us.

For me the biggest problem is really money. The pound is like BRL 3,60... So it's really hard to make enough money to keep me in the UK... Not that i mind. I'm considering taking another job just so i can save money.

But i guess that, if i get there with the whole 6 months visa and apply for a course while being there and grabbing the information in loco, it'd be ideal. My only doubt is: This visiting visa being non-renewable, if i get in a course there, would it be like a loophole? Something i could exploit to spend more time?

-

Thanks a lot, once more, guys. It's not much of a commitment... it's more of knowing exactly where, when and with my life is. Strange isn't it? I'll just keep on sending emails, and harassing people for help. (:

Big hug

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

I'll start a kickstarter project. Would you guys buy art for some simbolic amount of money to help me with the trip?

quick-brown-fox

Yeah, certainly don't rule out the translation thing. I work with a Spanish speaking company and they have someone there who speaks average English. All they do is a rough translation and pass it to the English guy to iron out!

Good luck with it anyway, and if there are any more ideas which come to me I'll let you know.

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

If you find a course to study while you're over here on a visitor visa, you would usually then be able to get a visa for that course (the 6 month visa wouldn't affect it. Only a couple of things to bear in mind:

• You would need to return to Brazil to apply for the student visa, you can't switch onto it from inside the UK

• You would need to show some savings to qualify for the visa - the Border Agency expect you to show that you've got money to pay for both your course fees and a set amount for paying your way in the UK - needs to have been held in your account for I think 90 days.

Can give some links later to UKBA pages with details on.

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Thanks for the info P0ckets. Not the happiest ones, but once more, things i hadn't been able to find out by myself.

Is the 6 months visitor permission an UK thing? or is it different for each country?

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

You see... there are a few courses in Dublin that take the whole year which are pretty affordable for me. I'm still doing some research. You know what, fuck this shit... I don't care, it's about living in Europe for a while... the experience. Who cares if i can't get to study something profession related.

I'll enjoy my time anyways... and in Dublin i think i can work. Actually a believe they don't mind on me having a job... like a part time? i think i can work 20 or 30 hours weekly. I'd love that... Make some "to-go" money to travel around. (:

FUNDRAISING THINGY

What do you guys think? I want to make something... like, i can make original art, haikus, striptease... would anyone be interested on me making stuff so i can fund my trip?

Like, if i got like 10 bucks from 300 hundred people (in exchange for actual nice work), i'd have a bit more money. And 10 bucks is not that much if you think of it... it wouldn't make people nor poorer nor richer. Is 10 bucks.

I just want to go guys. I don't care what i'll have to do to raise the money... as long is it gets me there.

Happy Holidays for you guys. <3

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

bump?

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

help bump?

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Any Irish / Living in Ireland Threadlesser's willing to give me a hand on this? It's far but not as far as it is from Brazil. :)

nicholelillian
nicholelillian profile pic Alumni

Hi Marceleo!! I have no advice but I wish you all the best. This post made me smile. : )

nicholelillian

Marcelo* don't know how that extra e snuck in

littlem
ratkiss said:

Hi Marceleo!! I have no advice but I wish you all the best. This post made me smile. : )

ditto^

nicholelillian

ps. I need your email address! or can you email me nicholelillian at me.com

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

Hey you guys! I may not be able to hug you on this years reunion. But i'm so going in 2014. Y'all the best of the best. <3

jeffreyg

u_u

No account?