Close
One second...

Kill my Demon

Thanks for helping me in the design process.

VOTE HERE

Latest Update:

Earlier:

Much Earlier Messages:

Got to add some text on the banners and i got something in mind. Mean while your suggestions are welcome.

Removed the earlier version since i have finalised on what you see here as the layout. Got to try few color palette choices and hand drawn text and more line work for highlights and stuff.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Dreamspace

And that is just the initial sketch made with pen on paper, scanned and vectorized in illustrator. Got a long way to go before i think of submitting it.

Goldendust

This is a solid piece of linework!

Dreamspace

Thanks Kimby. Have been taking drawing classes where almost all the students there are hardly half my age. Awkward but who cares. I just want to create good artwork.

Pez Banana

This is very well drawn, if a bit traditional (on its own - looking forward to the text on the banners).

As for the art classes, those kids should be envious of you, certainly not the other way around. Though i understand why you would feel awkward. I myself am looking to go back to college and study art properly for the first time in my life (after wasting my 20's in the wrong career choice), and i will also be an "oldie".

But who cares right? What matters is to learn and make better art. And i bet you're one of the best of your class.

Dreamspace

So i tried a bit to do some coloring work on this one but not going anywhere :-( My skill in illustrator or photoshop is limited so anyone want to take this forward and do some magic with illustrator or photoshop. I am glad to share the line work.

RubberDuckyUrThe1

Like Kimby said, your line work is good, I think the issue is your concept. Designs that do well here are usually really witty or clever - think puns. Look around the 'Shop' section to see what sells and then start with a cool new concept. You've definitely got skills to back it up.

Dreamspace

Thanks Danielle. Years ago i watched this movie called Transsiberian and a dialogue goes like "kill my demons my angels might die too" it kind of stuck to my head and i am doing this artwork with that as a concept. The text will go in the top and bottom ribbon banner that i have drawn. I am kind of redoing the line work with the skull wearing and armor since i thought it would look much better than having just the skull. Don't know how this is going to do. Let see.

Pez Banana

Even though i find A better than B, i think it is still lacking something. I agree with what Danielle said, though i've also seen many designs print just because they're pretty (no apparent concept behind it).

As it is, right now it looks too much like a biker's crest or something a tough guy would tattoo on his arm. WHich is why i said it looked a bit traditional, at least by Threadless standards. Traditional is not bad per se, but it becomes more interesting if you mix it up with a witty or ironic phrase, something really unexpected to be seen in a crest of this type.

About the execution, the lines are great but i do feel that both A and B are lacking. Why not try some coloring by hand?

Or keep using Photoshop and use watercolor samples to fill up the colored areas, and play with transparencies, etc.

:)

Dreamspace

The coloring is not even started i am still working on the line work. I was not able to make up my mind if i should go with the armor coving the skull or not so i posted the B version here. Now it is clear to go with the skull as such. My objective is to make this as beautiful as possible in terms of coloring, texture, shadows and such and working on it.

Squeezed my head for better phrase but couldnt get anywhere with it. :-(

WhimsicalWears

I love the first one! The colors and everything are marvelous.

Mantichore

great design, good linework and colors the text is a bit hard to read though, maybe you should remove the shadows on that...

parallelish
1 design submitted - Score now!

the shading on the skull looks weird, its like each shade is sectioned off as apposed to smooth blends

Dreamspace
parallelish said:

the shading on the skull looks weird, its like each shade is sectioned off as apposed to smooth blends

Yeah i see it now. will work on it. thanks guys

WhimsicalWears
Dreamspace said:

So i tried a bit to do some coloring work on this one but not going anywhere :-( My skill in illustrator or photoshop is limited so anyone want to take this forward and do some magic with illustrator or photoshop. I am glad to share the line work.

Illustrator (in my opinion) is the best place to do it. Make sure all of your lines are vectors. You can do this by taking your line drawing (I'm assuming it is a JPEG) and use Live Trace-Black and white Logo. Then Expand Appearance. Then Select the entire thing. Then Hit 'k' on your keyboard (it is the shortcut for the Live Paint Bucket). I hope this helps somewhat. I would try to find some tutorials like this one. :D

moosabman

Its looking pretty sweet, and I think what the text says is cool, but I wouldnt use a font. You'll notice there are almost 0 printed designs on here that have used text that didnt look hand drawn to some degree. I also think it stands out as the text is too mechanical compared to the rest. The swords bother me now in this new version. I think in the other versions they seem more scary/intimidating, and in the colored one, they look more plastic/toy. Maybe bring back some of those darker sections in the hilt? Good luck!

goliath72

wow this is great~

Dreamspace

Thanks for your comments guys. Will work on the hand drawn font and yes more line work is pending.

dudeowl

great work, A! but, umm how about removing forehead cracks!

Tim Easley

Looking at your top version, I think you're using far too many colours. This could be cut down to grey, red & blue. Would look much nicer like that. Think of version A with grey swords & wings, and blue banners. Little bit of red on the sword hilts maybe, or even in with the wings. After that you could experiment with colour combos but I think making it a more simple palette would be nicer! :)

Dreamspace
Tim Easley said:

Looking at your top version, I think you're using far too many colours. This could be cut down to grey, red & blue. Would look much nicer like that. Think of version A with grey swords & wings, and blue banners. Little bit of red on the sword hilts maybe, or even in with the wings. After that you could experiment with colour combos but I think making it a more simple palette would be nicer! :)

Yes i was a bit not so much for using so many colors in fact i was wanting to use only a max of three shades your suggestion is something i want to work on and see how it looks. Thanks for your inputs.

littlem

i agree with the color palette being cut down. but the top version is my favorite. i don't have any suggestions as to how to manage the colors, though, at the moment. good luck with tim easley's suggestions!

Manupix

Agree with moosabman about the font; also the kerning is pretty bad!

Agree with Tim Easley about palette. Also you should mix and reuse colors throughout the design, not just red roses, grey skull etc.

Dreamspace

Yup, Color and font to be worked upon. Thanks guys

Dreamspace

For the first time. I got so many valuable comments. Feels different. Thanks guys will work on your suggestions.

littlem

Looking good, though I actually prefer some subtle shading on the skull, like before. Maybe not as dark. I also didn't mind the light teal-ish banner/scrolls. I'm not sure the best tee color for this. Sorry I'm not more helpful!

RubberDuckyUrThe1

are you still gonna add the text in?

i agree with little about the shading, it feels sort of one dimensional right now. i wonder how it would look if you added some texture to it, like you did on your Vital Bodily Fluid guy (which i really hope prints btw, i wanna get it for my dad, he brews beer)?

just a thought.

Dreamspace

Thanks Danielle,

The work is still at somewhere about half way. I need to add more details in terms of line work where i am hoping to give that fine highlights and shadings. And as far the texture considering the size of the actual image that would go on the tee the image you see is way smaller so the finer texture are not available. But in my Vital Bodily Fluid guy the size is pretty small that would go on the tee so the 600 pixel width size is pretty close to its actual. What am i talking?

I uploaded a image with the actual size and you can see the details in it.

RubberDuckyUrThe1

oh i see the texture now. it's just more subtle. well it's looking good, can't wait to see what it looks like towards the end.

littlem

looks awesome. i like that tee color, too.

if you feel like tweaking it even more, i would suggest highlighting the brow, forehead, and chin point and shading the temple areas.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?