27 dead in Connecticut mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

Fucking senseless and terrible. This type of thing scares the shit out of me too b/c my wife is an EC teacher and recently a kid who she's been having trouble with has been heard on the bus saying he was going to "just bring his gun to school..." and it seems like none of the admins are taking it seriously.

I will never understand people.

nonbloggerholly

I have been following this all morning and it's completely mind blowing.

18 dead children! And they are now saying two men were involved. One crazed person is almost possible to wrap your head around, but a team of two planning to kill as many children as they could?

I don't even how words for how fucked this is, the poor families. I can't imagine losing a child at all, let alone in this way.

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

I don't understand the world sometimes

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

the idea of a mass shooting is fucking crazy and now they are shooting at little kids. What the hell ???? it's like they are trying to make each shooting worse than the one before.

Twiggyhall

It's absolutely heartbreaking and horrible.

That is really sad/scary about your wife's student, Perry. I hope someone will step up and get him the help he needs,

[+duracell-]

Yes Nestor, and the celebrity attention the media gives these jerks only seems to perpetuate their sick ideas.

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

:( - Just saw this update.

A teacher's son clad in black and carrying two handguns rampaged through a Connecticut elementary school Friday, killing 18 small children and seven adults, including his mother, in the nation’s second-worst school shooting, law enforcement officials said.

The gunman, identified as Ryan Lanza, 24, of Hoboken, N.J., also was found dead at the scene, a federal law enforcement official said. Lanza's mother is a kindergarten teacher at the Newtown, Conn., school, and it's inside her classroom where most of the casualties took place, according to WNBC's Jonathan Dienst.

againstbound
againstbound profile pic Alumni

I was just reading about this, so fucking horrible :(

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

From NBC news site I'm following:

Robert Licata said his 6-year-old son was in class when the gunman burst in and shot the teacher.

"That's when my son grabbed a bunch of his friends and ran out the door," he told the Associated Press. "He was very brave."

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

So fucked up. :-( How do these peoples' brains come up with this stuff and think it's the best course of action to take?

taz-pie

Just heard about it on CNN. Oh man. I am sorry america :(

narwhals14

We live in a screwed up crazy world :(

maddingo

i am deeply saddened by this news....

if i'm honest ... despite being ... life long (responsible) gun owner and I actually really enjoy shooting.... but for the very first time in my life..If we could make all the guns disappear from the world that might be ok... but they ain't going to all disappear..... which is of course the rub...cause i'm going to be god damned if i'm going to be unarmed in a world with so many guns.

so... we need to do something but F*ck me if i know what.....

i can not begin to understand how fucked in the head you'd have to be to attack little little kids.. may God watch over them and all now

poor families of the victims also... Jesus .... just unimaginable sorrow....

i don't know man i don't know.... our society needs something i don't know what but we need changes in our world big big changes....

I shouldn't so i won't second guess God...but ... if i was going to I guess i'd ask WTF man WTF ......

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

i was just wondering how you'd feel about this Brock. i really think that's got to be the last straw. i know people have rights and everything, but you're not all fanatical idiots, and if this is the cost of readily available guns i'm sure a lot of you are probably about ready to accept it's too high.

maddingo

i'm not sure..... i've never been as hardcore as some gun rights people (most probably)

I have no problem (there may be a constitutional problem with it however) with mandatory gun training / safety training

I have never had a problem with most of the brady bill say for example.... I am fine with limiting certain types of military style weapons / large capacity magazines

maybe (of course the problem is the millions of guns already out there without this kinda thing) but smart weapons that wouldn't fire except for the proper owner...

of course ain't none of it going to be my call... it seems this may well push something ... i guess we will see.

of course on the other hand there are a ton of gun laws already the question is how well they are being enforced?

but i don't know if today is the day for this discussion..... I felt ill to my stomach on hearing about this fucking bullshite no lie....I was in the car listening to the BBC on XM ... and loudly said "Fucking Hell...WTF ... " upon hearing the news about this..

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

yeah of course man. i'm not looking to debate it. i just think something as horrible as this is going to change some minds. unfortunately it'll only reach people with conscience enough to not be a danger in the first place.

maddingo

what we really need is a change in the hearts of man

i mean people have been killing people since before we even invented pointy sticks... I don't know.,.. the solution or the reasons why

but if something could change inside the nature of mankind that would be FUCKING super....

soloyo
maddingo said:

what we really need is a change in the hearts of man

AMEN to that
Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

Oh. Blaming Guns again I see.

Haragos

My point being is I'm so tired of people picking something and pinning blame on it. He liked Mass Effect. Did Mass Effect kill 30 people? No. Banning something DOESN'T FIX ANYTHING.

If America banned guns than gun running would become a major issue opening a whole new wave of violence. Then who would be the only ones with guns? Criminals. That doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

speechless. I can't even comprehend the depth of that kind of evil.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni
Haragos said:

Oh. Blaming Guns again I see.

in all fairness, he wouldn't have done that kind of damage with anything but a gun. you make guns harder to get and this kind of thing happens less often. you can't argue with that.

opifan64

there are certainly other issues at play but the easy access to firearms for people who are psychotic and violent is certainly one of those issues. Admittedly, if someone is intent on doing harm there will always be a way for them to do it but mass shootings can no longer be simply classified as "isolated incidents" when they're occurring with such frequency.

maddingo

I think one of many dicussions we need have in the aftermath is on the mentally ill. Specifically how to protect children/population in general from potentially violent menatally ill persons. It is my thought that we may need to institutionalize some of them to protect or citizens and to protect them from themselves.

And we need to find more ways to keep the irresponsible /violent /mentally ill from gaining access to firearms

I also think we need to find ways to make society different.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

we need to be more open to discussing mental illness. if the general public treats it like a taboo, then it's harder to reach people.

I'm anti-gun, but I can't see that happening. but I'll just leave a quote from an article I read. Madness pulls the trigger, but the rate of fire drives the body count.

Haragos

I see your points I'm just saying that guns will always be around.. now and forever. If they are legal or not will never stop someone from getting one if they want to kill.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

that line of thinking is just bullshit. so the fact that guns will always be around is motivation enough to not try to have stricter gun control laws? 26 children died this morning and you can just say "shit happens" and go about your day? I understand I'm being emotionally driven at the moment to want to see something done, but even removed from that situation, your rationale is fucking stupid.

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

If you make it illegal, at least it will be harder to get it. I remember in 1996 when I was an exchange student in States and my Civics teacher asking who had a gun at home, everybody except me rose a hand and that was shocking to me and I come from a country that's been through war and even then I didn't know anyone having a gun at home... I hope something changed since then but obviously much much more needs to change...

[+duracell-]

Uh guys,

BEIJING — A knife-wielding man injured 22 children and one adult outside a primary school in central China as students were arriving for classes Friday

That was yesterday as well.
Psychos gonna psycho.

Take guns away and they'll use something else, like a knife, or a bomb, or poison etc. All this makes me want to do is get a gun to protect myself before I no longer have that freedom. And pray and hug my baby.

Boiled fly
Boiled fly profile pic Alumni
ArTrOcItY said:

If you make it illegal, at least it will be harder to get it.

I am totally agree. All these men are trying to protect their rights to own gun. But how many of them actually used it to protect themselves in real situation? U still can not carry the gun in public to protect yourself from people shooting in movie theaters, malls. I am horrified with this tragedy. These were little kids. Is that price that America pays for right to have a gun in the house?

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

^ So true. A guy came into my high school once with something like a scimitar flailing it around and such and our tiny little French teacher took him out. She just happened to be standing there at the time...and was an ex-marine. Nobody f'd w/ her after that.

narwhals14

"Guns don't kill people. People do"

-NRA

"Banning guns won't solve anything"

-Narwhals14

maddingo

yes gun sales will doubtlessly spike in the wake of this and Obama's comments yesterday...

For my part as i said yesterday...if someone could make ALL the guns in the world go away that would be kind of awesome in it's way...or for that matter render all weapons knifes ..cars (used as weapons) ..rocks ..clubs whatever.... somehow make nothing usable as a weapon ...that would be fine... Imagine if we all had to rely on dialog and reason to resolve conflicts... HOLY SHIT...

however... no such magic exists all the guns ain't going to disappear and there are 270 million~ish civilian weapons in this country as it stands now.

so as a (i like to think) reasonable and somewhat pragmatic individual (and gun owner). I have a couple ideas.

(I'm not not a constitutional law expert..so there may be issues with some of these on a constitutional basis.)

A. Require fitness (mental ..etc)/ safety testing ...for those choosing to take on the responsibility of owning / processing firearms

(personally I can't imagine why anyone would have a gun they didn't know how to use / handle /store ..etc safely anyways... these things are no god damn joke so if you are going to keep them you'd best know what the hell you are doing)

B. Limit Magazine capacity to fewer than 10 rounds

(i personally see no reason for legitimate civilian uses how this would be a burden or problem…. Honestly I’m pretty likely to be running instead of shooting if I don’t think a full mag in my Colt 45 ain’t going to be able to handle a situation (8 rounds ..7 in mag one in chamber). Can’t solve it in 8 RUN!!!!)

C. (And this one bums me out a bit… cause for the responsible these are actually pretty fun to shoot in a safe manner but….) We may need to look at certain types of military type weapons and decide if it really makes sense to have them readily available to civilians …. Maybe magazine capacity limits ..possibly like CA already has fixed mags… And / or maybe additional licensing requirements /training /screening for those wanting to have these types of weapons.

D. increase / enforce penalties on those that handle / use / store firearms irresponsibly … it really pisses me off when people keep weapons in an unsafe /insecure manner. Idiots that have weapons they don’t understand make me extremely angry also… these things are potentially deadly if you ain’t sure how to use them then don’t pick one up… don’t buy one … Don’t store guns in your house in a way that a burglar / kid whatever could get their hands on easily.

E. I would also like to see more done on protecting the population from potentially violent persons with mental issues… If someone is mentally ill and that makes them a threat to become violent then maybe they need to be in an institution for their safety and ours.

narwhals14
maddingo said:

yes gun sales will doubtlessly spike in the wake of this and Obama's comments yesterday...

For my part as i said yesterday...if someone could make ALL the guns in the world go away that would be kind of awesome in it's way...or for that matter render all weapons knifes ..cars (used as weapons) ..rocks ..clubs whatever.... somehow make nothing usable as a weapon ...that would be fine... Imagine if we all had to rely on dialog and reason to resolve conflicts... HOLY SHIT...

however... no such magic exists all the guns ain't going to disappear and there are 270 million~ish civilian weapons in this country as it stands now.

so as a (i like to think) reasonable and somewhat pragmatic individual (and gun owner). I have a couple ideas.

(I'm not not a constitutional law expert..so there may be issues with some of these on a constitutional basis.)

A. Require fitness (mental ..etc)/ safety testing ...for those choosing to take on the responsibility of owning / processing firearms

(personally I can't imagine why anyone would have a gun they didn't know how to use / handle /store ..etc safely anyways... these things are no god damn joke so if you are going to keep them you'd best know what the hell you are doing)

B. Limit Magazine capacity to fewer than 10 rounds

(i personally see no reason for legitimate civilian uses how this would be a burden or problem…. Honestly I’m pretty likely to be running instead of shooting if I don’t think a full mag in my Colt 45 ain’t going to be able to handle a situation (8 rounds ..7 in mag one in chamber). Can’t solve it in 8 RUN!!!!)

C. (And this one bums me out a bit… cause for the responsible these are actually pretty fun to shoot in a safe manner but….) We may need to look at certain types of military type weapons and decide if it really makes sense to have them readily available to civilians …. Maybe magazine capacity limits ..possibly like CA already has fixed mags… And / or maybe additional licensing requirements /training /screening for those wanting to have these types of weapons.

D. increase / enforce penalties on those that handle / use / store firearms irresponsibly … it really pisses me off when people keep weapons in an unsafe /insecure manner. Idiots that have weapons they don’t understand make me extremely angry also… these things are potentially deadly if you ain’t sure how to use them then don’t pick one up… don’t buy one … Don’t store guns in your house in a way that a burglar / kid whatever could get their hands on easily.

E. I would also like to see more done on protecting the population from potentially violent persons with mental issues… If someone is mentally ill and that makes them a threat to become violent then maybe they need to be in an institution for their safety and ours.

AMEN.

maddingo

oh one more thing.... if you have a weapon you can't disassemble / clean and reassemble .... you probably shouldn't have it.

ideally you should be able to do so in the dark...

and if you have every started cleaning a weapon that you later find out still had rounds in it..... you probably should go get more training....or you know put in it a locked box (unloaded) and go give it to the police at one of their gun turn in events.

Haragos

I'm tired of this bullshit. This anti-gun stuff literally makes no sense. Drugs are illegal but you can get them EASILY. Do you people really think if guns are banned that people intending to do harm will not get them? That is naive. Extremely Naive. The only people who wouldn't have guns anyone are the responsible people.

You act like the metals of piece force these insane nut cases to act. A killer will kill with anything.

If you haven't be paying attention.. These insane people ARE TARGETING places that have zero gun policies. Malls, Schools, Movie Theaters, and so on. These places already say that guns are bad and are banned on the property... yet they are ALWAYS the ones that become bloodbaths because no one else has a gun to protect themselves from these monsters.

maddingo

you know what ... fuck that... the knee jerk we ain't going to have any discussion on guns at all... blah blah guns don't kill blah.. pisses me off to some extent.

man there are a fucking pile of dead 5-10 year old kids ... fucking makes my heart want to break into a million pieces

and to be fair the well let's take all the guns people annoy me also.... but

as responsible gun owners .....(many of us for reasons of wanting to be able to protect our families...) let's be reasonable and consider certain types of gun restrictions that will hopefully keep kids / our families safer when we can't be with them.

I want it to be much harder for the mentally ill / criminals ... whomever ill suited to firearms from gaining access

there don't need to be massively large magazines in civilian weapons.... like i said before you should probably be running not shooting if you encounter a problem you couldn't stop with 8.

people that use / keep / store weapons like idiots need to be punished for it.

I love shooting a M4 as much as anyone... but i think there needs to be a higher bar / more accountability for persons that want to keep such weapons.

i get annoyed when people talk only of gun rights..... and not of gun responsibility there are a lot of weapons owned (legally) in this country by people that in my opinion have no god damn business having them (at least until they go do the work to learn how to keep / use them safely / responsibly).

soloyo
[+duracell-] said:

Uh guys,

BEIJING — A knife-wielding man injured 22 children and one adult outside a primary school in central China as students were arriving for classes Friday

Psychos gonna psycho.

Take guns away and they'll use something else, like a knife, or a bomb, or poison etc. All this makes me want to do is get a gun to protect myself before I no longer have that freedom. And pray and hug my baby.

Guns, knives , bombs. People are the ones doing the killing not the weapons. Even if we all get guns for protection what will assure you that innocent people won't get hurt from those trying to defend themselves if a crazy person starts shooting in a crowded place?

soloyo
[+duracell-] said:

Uh guys,

Psychos gonna psycho.

Guns, knives , bombs. People are the ones doing the killing not the weapons. Even if we all get guns for protection what will assure you that innocent people won't get hurt from those trying to defend themselves if a crazy person starts shooting in a crowded place?

[+duracell-]

Obviously keeping a gun at home in a safe doesn't protect you and your family from every situation. I still think I want one. I'm gonna try to control the things I can control.

maddingo

you know what i HAAATE right now..

as many of you know .. my wife has been fighting cancer all year here now.... there hasn't been a day i haven't been terrified to some extent that the cancer would spread / they didn't get it all... or it will come back... I have had this absolute terror that my wife may die.. (and I hate to even give it a name like that..but you know..in the back of your mind it is going to be there..just trust me there ain't no way round it near as i can tell.)

it has been hard really hard.....no i'm not fucking about REEEEEAAAAAALLLY hard to deal with..

so then just now my wife left to go out for awhile.... and after i told her i loved her and saw her off and all..... I had the horrible realization that since she was going out in public there could be some crazy asshole like this jerk in CT anywhere at this point...

no place is really safe (i suppose no place has ever been totally safe) but it really hit me today as i saw her off.....

I guess you never know so cherish the ones you love and tell them, and try i guess to live each day to the most i guess.

Now i'm fighting off the aforementioned terror i felt when she left the house cause i'm going to be god damned if i let crazy people make me live everyday in fear and all.

but man I wish this world could be a different place.

opifan64

It's a lot more difficult (both psychologically and logistically) to kill a lot of people with a knife vs a gun. just sayin.

There were something like 11 gun related homicides in Japan last year (which was a high number for them since they had only 2 in 2006 I think) as opposed to hundreds of accidental gun related deaths in the US, along with the thousands of gun related homicides.

ArTrOcItY

There are sick people all over the world unfortunately but nowhere in the world you don't have so many shootings as in States and to say it has nothing to do with the legal right to bear arms policy, it's just ridiculous to me, I'm sorry...

maddingo

right to bear arms isn't policy it is in the constitution as a Right...a Right i support (with certain reservations in my case).

the challenge is trying to figure out the mechanisms to preserve /uphold the Constitutional Right /while trying to keep these sorts of cluster fucks from occurring...

and i'm honestly not entirely sure how you do that

ArTrOcItY

I know it's in the constitution and that's why it's so hard to change but I think you can all see something needs to change and I know I'm in no position to do anything but to feel sorry for innocent people being killed over and over again by some crazy lunatics...

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

As a parent this truly breaks my heart and I also think about the children that survived but had to witness such horrors. Personally I think it is obvious that if guns are harder to get hold off then there would be less gun violence. Here are is some interesting data on gun ownership vs gun homicide rates across the world. click here

[+duracell-]

i dont think anyone is debating the obvious

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Well I just find that every time there is a shooting and people start critisizing US gun laws, others try to defend them and go on about the constitution. I know it is not that easy to get a gun but it should be much, much, much, much harder then it is currently.

Nickyrex

What I think is just this, a simple quote, really famous: "With power comes responsability". If you aren't responsable enough, don't do it. If you aren't capable of doing it (mental, phisycal problems, etc.), don't do it. Simple as that.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us