Close
One second...

[OPEN PLEA] How to be the effective non-artistic component of a collaboration

Hi, my name is Larlar.

(Hi, Larlar.)

I've had the only two collaborations I've ever been offered in the last decade both fell into the realm of awkward death. Both with really fucking talented artists from here, too. You may know that place: you work together on some ideas and then one day you just never hear a response again. Your collaborator gets "really busy" with "other projects." Which, if you've ever dated before, is code for "This was a mistake. I don't want to do this anymore with you. Please just go away."

Well I'm done going away! I'm coming back. I'm here. And I'm sitting down, comfortably, smoking a pipe. Because please don't get me wrong. I'm not upset. I'm perfectly calm, cool, collected, offside, and occasionally creepy, especially around those who are noticeably overprotective of their children.

I just want to learn. To improve. And, most importantly...actually successfully complete a collaboration. Or at least get one off the ground before it crashes horribly into the countryside.

I'll be the first to admit that my initial ideas may be large and unwieldy. I also have many of them - a decade's worth, in fact - swimming around inside my head like blind, hyperactive jellyfish. Maybe I come on too strong at the outset. Maybe I offer up too many ideas all at once. That's just how I brainstorm. I expect the people I'm working with to shoot most of the ideas down, come up with their own. You know. Collaborate. That's my perception of the process. But maybe I'm wrong. In fact, I must be wrong, or I'd have two collaborations completed by now. This is why I'm writing this thread.

I want to collaborate effectively, threadless. Artists, tell me what you want from a sloganeering partner. Do you prefer someone who just lets you run free and wild with one of his ideas? Do you prefer someone who sketches terrible first drafts for you to work with? Slogans are dead and gone and I have the biological desire to make little threadless idea babies. Help me spread my seed, god damn it, or I'll kill you all, dig up your corpses, and try to kill you all again. I really don't want to do that. Don't make me do that. It means I have to spend money on a shovel.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Larlar

Taz, you are the absolute worst at emailing and/or providing an email address. The worst. And this is coming from someone who knows people who have no hands and have to type with their noses.

taz-pie

FUCK. i forgot to email you.

Goldendust

I'm very aware that I'm the typical artistic type with a poor sense of time management when it comes to things I do in my spare time. The residual guilt from every idea I've ever had that never gets completed can get a bit overwhelming... and adding someone else's idea to the mix of "things I should be doing" can sometimes tip me over the edge into the territory of hiding in bed and playing tetris for an entire weekend until I realise I haven't done any laundry and have to go to work in less than 12 hours.

That said, my collab with Lidija went swimmingly, but I think that was because we both loved the idea and weren't pressured by timeframes because our contest got extended like, a million times. It was fun. I'd do it again. But I have to be in the right frame of mind :)

BeanePod
taz-pie said:

put some shit bout some noodly boobs in there somewhere and i bet taz wouldn't be so nonchalant about emailing.

taz-pie

did someone mention noodly boobs?

soloyo-collabs
BeanePod said:
taz-pie said:

put some shit bout some noodly boobs in there somewhere and i bet taz wouldn't be so nonchalant about emailing.

TAZ!

taz-pie

i emailed larlarlarlar butt he hasn't got back to me yet. i think he is scared of my lack of talent? oh well :(

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?