Close
One second...

If Santa is from Africa...why is he white?

Oh my god, Brian, you can't just ask Santa why he's white!

However, my Secret Santa is from Africa. South Africa to be exact. And Santa is a woman to be more exact. And Santa is Taryn (taz-pie) to be the most exact! And she sent me (and DeeAnn and Hera) an awesome box of presents!

After an annoying ordeal at multiple post offices to actually get the package, I finally got it...and then sent it home with DeeAnn 'cause I had to go back to work. But after work I finally got to open it! Have a look-see:

Ooooh, a box! I blocked out my address and other possible stalky information 'cause I don't want you all stalking me. Weirdos.

See? It really is from South Africa! That's, like, near Europe or something, I think.

Everything was packed neatly into a shoe box. A sissy shoe box.

That's-a me! Look how well everything is packed and wrapped!

Ha! Owl jokes! Classic.

How awesome is Taryn? So awesome that she not only thought of me, but she also thought of DeeAnn and Hera! For the few of you who don't know, Hera is my (our) adorable-but-obnoxious cat.

A David Sedaris book! I've never even heard of this one, but I'm excited to read it. And I actually will read it, despite DeeAnn saying I won't. Shut up, DeeAnn. Taryn wrote a nice little message inside the book, too, but I didn't take a picture of that because I forgot.

Ooh, tree ornaments! Those are now on our tree.

Oh, baby! Look at that sexy magnet. I can only hope that's what all Cape Town-ians look like. Yowza! That little Santa ornament thingy is also on our tree now.

Jumping rabbit? What the hell is a jumping rabbit?

Surprise! It's a rabbit! That jumps! You wind it up, put it down, and it hops around. It accidentally hopped off the table and hit Hera in the face. I don't think she took too kindly to that. DEAL WITH IT, CAT.

What are these ominous looking things?

Oh! Custom fancy gift tags! These will be perfect for giving gifts and other things that require a To/From explanation!

Mmm...chocolate coins. In South African denominations, too! Apparently South African coins are called Rands. Probably short for Randies. South African deals in small Asians.

A mini C3PO painting for DeeAnn! She's kind of into that Star Battles thing. And by kind of I mean she's a giant nerd about Star Fights.

A very tall mug! With zombies on it, I think! Is this handmade? It looks handmade. Either way, it's very muggy and will be used to consume many a warm beverage.

Another view of the mug.

And one more view of the mug.

Taryn obviously paid attention to the whole thing in my survey about loving gummy candies. I've never seen gummy pigs before, but Percy Pig and Piglets are delicious. And those gummy worms came in awesome flavors like kiwi and blackcurrant. I don't even know what a blackcurrant looks like, but the gummy worm version of it tastes wonderful. Mmmmmm.

Obligatory picture of a cat checking out a box, as cats tend to do.

Thank you so much, Taryn! This is the first time I've received an international Secret Santa package, and you totally delivered!

DeeAnn and Hera would also say thank you, but they're tuckered out beneath a blanket. Poor girls.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
tragos

:D

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Really? Another picture of me asleep? Do people need to see that?

Also, yay! I took what I'm sure is incredibly boring video of the opening. I'll take a gander after I've actually slept to see if it's worth watching (I'm sure it's not.)

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

I give the people what they want.

littlem

NO WAY! i totally just bought that david sedaris book today!

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

Nice stuffz! I particularly like that tall mug and the owl card. What a lovely letter from Taz Pie too! :)

littlem

i love tazzy pie!

evyc

Thats awesome. Secret Santa is so much fun.

taz-pie

WOOOHOOO

i am so glad that mug didn't break.i love it! i stuffed it as full of piggy goodness as i could! the artist is an incredible ceramicist in cape town, and her work has started to gain a lot of attention.

it was such fun to buy thingies for you, brian! and hera! and girfraynd! i am so glad it arrived, phew!

taz-pie

sorry it was all plonked in a shoe box, but the size was perfect. glad to see hera liked the box, although she looks like she may be a bit too chunky to properly fit in it, haha!

Goldendust

Omg yay this is so cool

taz-pie

oh and i bought one of those mugs for myself too- it has got riot police on it. rad

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

WarDrobeInSpareOom

taz-pie on Dec 12 '12 at 3:21am sorry it was all plonked in a shoe box, but the size was perfect.

Apology not accepted. Absolutely unacceptable.

taz-pie

pthththtbbbbbbtttt DeeAnn

taz-pie

the little santa was hand-made by a zimbabwean dude i met.

the hopping bunny is the weirdest and ugliest toy ever. i hope hera plays with it.

and the c3po is an alex hamilton

tracerbullet

everything was great :-D

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Wow! That guy's pretty talented! No wonder we put him on our money.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

So many neat things in one shoe box! Love that a lot of it was made locally. :-D

taz-pie

wait wut? who is that hamilton dood on your moneyz? he looks like a dapper fellow

taz-pie

i am so ignorant. and too lazy to google. thanks for the info doood!

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Haha, well, I wouldn't really expect a Space African to know about a man most Americans think of as just "that dead dude on the $10."

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

No elephant poop?

taz-pie

i farted in the box, if that counts?

Mountain Gnome

wow, cool south african box!!!

tracerbullet

it smelled like space african farts

taz-pie

DELICIOUS

StevenLefcourt

Because Santa is obviously British and used his Reign Deer to occupy South Africa.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

URRG

That's so rad SO RAD! I want to visit Space Africa so I can pay for things with tiny Asians! How exotic!

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

HOW DID I COME INTO THIS BLOG THROUGH THE NEW SITE AND EXIT THIS BLOG BACK INTO THE OLD?

THIS BLOG BROKE THE THREADLESS MATRIX.

IMSCARED!

Twiggyhall

So many awesome goodies!!! Taryn's the best! :D

taz-pie

space africa is great and all... but it is SO FREAKING HOT TODAY :(

whine whine

taz-pie

on the subject of paying with randies, we got new bank notes a few weeks ago. they all have nelson mandela on them, and they look fake

Chipmnk

Oh man, I've read bits from that Sedaris book. It's pretty awesome.

Also, I had to look up biltong because that's not how you say building. Looks tasty.

Chipmnk

Judging by all the pictures I see, DeeAnn spends the day sleeping, and Brian spends the day taking pictures of her sleeping.

littlem

^creepylol

littlem

"creepylol" was to alvin's comment. haha

WarDrobeInSpareOom

DeeAnn has to work at 5am now, so when Brian takes pictures at 10pm, she's asleep.

Also, he's a jerk.

littlem

hahahahaa

Chipmnk

DeeAnn speaks in the third person.

Chipmnk

Next summer.

On TNT.

TNT Knows Drama.

tracerbullet

TNT Knows DeeAnn

tracerbullet

maybe if deeann were more receptive to having her picture taken normally, i wouldn't have to resort to pictures of her sleeping

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

ooh, i didn't realise madiba was on all the notes, thought he was just on the 200 that's pretty cool

tracerbullet

oh yeah, i had to look up what biltong was. 'cause i ain't never heard of that.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us