THREADDIES (#6) - Your weekly dosage of Threadless: UNSCRIPTED.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CHECK OUT PAST ISSUES: [ #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 ] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO GO TO A MEETUP BUT JUST COULDN'T SWING IT FINANCIALLY? WELL, NOW'S YOUR CHANCE TO!! WITH THE HELP OF JAKE, WE PUT TOGETHER A LITTLE CONTEST TO HELP GET THE ANNUAL BLOGGERRAISER STARTED!!

DESIGN THE 2013 BLOGGERRAISER TEE!

The Bloggerraiser is a community-driven fundraiser to raise money to send eager and active community members to the annual reunion in Chicago. In past years, we have been able to help send over a dozen people to experience a weekend of fun times with good company. We're determined to continue this tradition and this is your chance to be a part of it!

The Bloggerraiser is all about bringing the community together. Create a design that encapsulates the essence of the Bloggerraiser. Conceptualize what it means to you to bring together random people from random places with random tastes under the banner of Threadless. This challenge is your opportunity to make Threadhistory! Proceeds from the sale of this tee will go towards the Bloggerraiser.

If your design is printed, you'll get:
- $500 cash
- $250 Threadless gift code
- A seat on the 2013 Bloggerraiser Selection Committee

Keep in mind:
- The words "2013 Bloggerraiser" DO NOT have to be part of the design!

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET SUBMITTIN!

CHRISTIAN'S WORD OF THE WEEK

WUNDERKIND
(VOON-duhr-kind, wun-)
(noun) 1. A child prodigy.
2. A person who achieves great success early in the career.

EXAMPLE:
ir0cko is a wunderkind of cheeseburger eating.

NEW YORK, NEW YORKKKKK!

This past weekend, Craig and I ventured off to Times Square in NYC to see Jay Fleck's winning Sony Design, Sountrack to a Peaceful Night. Pretty amazing to see it on the billboards as thousands of eyes walked past it. Congrats, Jay!

Watch it in action in this video captured by Craig on the Threadless facebook ... More pictures and video to come! Stay tuned!

DEAR LIDIJA
Every week, the amazingly talented Lidija aka celandinestern answers a question posed to her by a community member

TheInfamousBaka asks: Where can I look for inspiration for my subs?

Inspiration is both the hardest and the easiest thing about making art. On the one hand, it’s everywhere. Just hanging out here and staring at everyone else’s work all the time is a great start, and I’m betting you see dozens of pretty pictures every day on your Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, Twitter, Boingboing, Bleepbloop, Bingbing or whatever the new social networking thing is. On the other hand, often it seems next to impossible to translate that high you get from looking at other people’s work that floats your boat into inspiration for a new original piece of your own. Here are some things I tend to try:

Google - whenever I’m about to start drawing something, I start by going to google images and searching for whatever my subject is plus the word ‘drawing’ or ‘illustration’. This helps me in two ways - one, it shows me potential approaches to drawing my subject (I get far more information about drawing porcupines from looking at four or five different drawings of porcupines than I do from looking at four or five different photographs of porcupines), and two, it helps me see all the ways it has been done before, so that I can try and come up with something a little different.

Re-examine everything - when you hear something randomly funny, make a habit of asking yourself ‘is there a design idea somewhere in this?’ Most of the time the answer will be no, but once in a while you’ll strike gold. When you see a piece you like done by someone else, ask yourself ‘can I think of a different angle or approach to this?’ The more often you think about design ideas, the better your chances of hitting upon one that isn’t lame, too obscure, or already done to death.

Let your pen do the thinking - when I have no idea what to draw, I just start randomly doodling whatever comes to mind. Here’s a squirrel. Let’s give him a hat. Maybe he could be riding a hippo. As you slide from one nonsensical little vignette to another, some line or shape will strike your fancy and a whole new idea might grow out of it. I have a set of things I tend to sketch when I’m out of ideas, it’s things I’m most comfortable with drawing - flowers, little animals, birds, leaves. Then I try to add in random elements to see if something will spark my imagination.

Whatever technique you use, remember that creativity is one of the rare things that cannot get spent - the more you use, the more you have.

MOVIE REVIEWS BY OMAIR

Disney Pixar's the Bravery
This is a band from mid- 2000s that I listened to in high school. This movie is a great documentary about them and the inspiration behind their great first hit song "somebody told me you were my girlfriend but i am your boyfriend and you are a girlfriend" which was a huge hit at high school dances. 5 girlfriend boyfriends out of a basket of boyfriend girlfriends.

Wreck It Ralph
Funny guy John C. Reilly plays an extra large dumbass who has mid-life crisis and goes on a sex journey to find the meaning of life. He meets cool classic characters such as Sanic the bluedog, super mario brother, pacuman, noseface, chesthairman fighter wrestler, and other classics of childhood (only true gamers will understand these jokes). 4 ultimate cool anime nerd jokes out of 5.

A Star War
(A star war is a great film that is a classic and true romance of love, it is now owned by Disney. In honor of that, I am going to do a special review about it so that America can learn to appreciate true beauty. )This is a good film, It is a romantic comedy, lot's of funny practical jokes! my favorite character is a Jame Bond. 3 star war out of 7 star war.

REMAKE!!

Ever vote on a design and thought, "WOW, I wish I could redo this design with my own style and twist.." Well, now's your chance (as long as you get permission from the previous artist). New alumni member, Nickv47 is leading the 5th REMAKE! challenge. Go on and sign up already!!!

LETS SEEM THEM BINS!!

A couple weeks ago, Rachel Ray Gun and Threadless sent these little green bins for people to decorate for the Global Inheritance Exhibition on Dec 7th in Miami, FL. Check out what some of your fellow community members did!

(L-R: Musarter, Pyr4lis, Palitosci, Valorandvellum)

Here's them alongside other participants at the event! (Thanks, Christian for the photo!)

HAIKUS BY JESS
The amazing and XCORE staff member, Jess puts her genius brain to use to create her personal reviews of television shows in HAIKU form. dayum.

WALKING DEAD

paging rick to phone!
the one slopped with blood and guts.
wait, are there ghosts now?

WANT TO CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING TO THE NEXT ISSUE? EMAIL THREADDIES@GMAIL.COM

Watch this
TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

Those little green bins are awesome! I would love to see those in person.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni
Ragnampiza said:

Threaddies is back!

haha yeah, i got a little busy :P

jeffreyg

added a couple more things :D

silverqe
silverqe profile pic Alumni

That times square ad is awesome! Congrats Fleck! :D

Omair

I agree, Randy eats burgers like a bitch.

jeffreyg

hahaha

OwlsOnTheBrain

I want to do something for Threaddies.

I always want to do something for Threaddies.

sits in corner

taz-pie

i am pretty sure randy is still a borgervirgin

jeffreyg

lololol

jeffreyg
OwlsOnTheBrain said:

I want to do something for Threaddies.

I always want to do something for Threaddies.

sits in corner

DO IT! You can do anything you want :) - that goes for everyone. (with some discretion, of course haha)

OwlsOnTheBrain

Yey!

Once finals are over, I will sit down and think of something awesome.

jeffreyg

as in no photoshop jeffs allowed

ir0cko
ir0cko profile pic Alumni

HOW RUDE

tragos

whattttt I call bullshit on the photoshop jeffs

tragos

give the people what they want!

ellygeh
ellygeh profile pic Alumni

AHahhahaah great stuff1 Aaww maan i wish I had known about the little bins earlier I would have gone and made one too :(

jeffreyg

yeah, i didnt have time to finish mine, but hopefully for the next one!

littlem

i live for those movie reviews. nice edition!

jeffreyg

:D thanks!

No account?
Join Us