One second...

Building a web site for an artist/designer. What are the best options?

Hello folks,

I'm planning on making myself a website and I was wondering where to start, if there's some service including templates out there wich you can recommend.

I'm a medium - advanced user, I can code something simple if necessary, but I'm not a programmer.

I've found a site of a guy here on Threadless and is pretty cool but I dunno what service or template he's using, here goes the link:

For those of you that already have a website, any advice would be of help.
Thanks in advance!

Watch this
briancook profile pic Alumni

I'm not sure what Justin uses.

I'm definitely not an advanced user and I've built my website from a Wordpress template.

It's not super fancy, but it is easy to customize - has an integrated blag and gets the job done.

What_eVer_Luk profile pic Alumni

Yeah i use Wordpress for my website too and it's pretty simple. For Templates you can go to Theme forest, there are billions of really great templates for 30$. In all cases don't use Flash because if you don't know how to program, it's awefull, plus mobile divise wouldn't be able to read your webite…

Musarter profile pic Alumni

I like super clean and user friendly sites so I used: To start one is free and it user friendly. I ended up upgrading my account so I could have a URL that did not have cargocollective in it. Here is my illustration site: Good luck in your search.

nathan-hinshaw profile pic Staff

Agree with what people have already said, Cargo Collective is a good resource. So is Squarespace the benefit to these is they can handle all your hosting for you. So while Squarespace is a paid service (so is Cargo Collective if you choose) you don't have to worry about as many moving pieces.

Wordpress is a good solution but you'll need to be pretty diligent about keeping up on the security updates, otherwise your site will be at risk.

Brian, Luc: I know, these wordpress websites look pretty good! I used to have one years ago, not really what I'm looking for right now. Josh, Nathan: I checked Cargo Collective and I think I'll give it a try. Squarespace seems a great option too. Thank you everybody for the advice!

time for a bump just for the sake of bumpin'

kimkong1014 profile pic Alumni

try easy and hassle free. Just need to pay

@kim arrr gonna check it out! @ducky I used it before, I don't like it anymorrr

you can post your websites here, everybody! just to see and get some insight

nicholelillian profile pic Alumni

I use iweb it came on my mac. I'm going to revamp it this coming year though.

boostr29 profile pic Alumni

why don't you like wordpress? just curious.

moosabman profile pic Alumni

So the site you linked to looks an awful lot like the wordpress "touchfolio" theme

pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

I put in a request to Cargo Collective before but never heard back. I just tried again this morning though...

Also looking to build a portfolio site but unlike you I have ZERO coding ability. Even for blogs with photos and flickr I cheat and use a premade code generator. :P

boostr29 profile pic Alumni

I could help build a portfolio site for you if you want. For those that don't know any coding, wordpress would be your best option to be able to maintain and update the site yourself.

No account?
Join Us