Close
One second...

Why do people score everything so low??!

I've been looking through scored designs and the really good ones are getting scores of 1 ? :S people just jealous? how is that gonna make your design any better? I don't understand :(

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
taz-pie

FUCK YOU dude spamming your piece of shit submission on someone else's blog. now fuck off

taz-pie

i get so cross on the intarwebs

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

this thread just gets better. the answer to all of your threadless woes is to sub more! low scores? frustrated ? want to have a moan? yep, just sub more and you will learn something eventually.

Land_Cat

Well, I guess it depends on what criteria you are scoring on for me:

1 = awful idea, something that makes me ill to witness or think about 2 = good try, but not good enough 3 = good try, something I wouldn't wear/buy myself, but I can imagine some folks would like it (and it's up to those folks to vote 4+ on it, not me) 4 = great, love it 5 = would purchase the instant it hits the store

So, I s'pose I am a little harsh on something getting 5/5 from me, but I doubt threadless want to print scores of 5/5 designs and find no-one actually wants them and all the votes were of people just being polite.

davidhellard

I suspect some people are trying to help their submission by scoring everyone else down. Not sure how the scoring works, but for me a t-shirt with lots of fives and lots of ones should be chosen above a t-shirt with many threes

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

Folks probably (incorrectly) think it's a competition in the sense of someone else's low score makes your score high.

Wrong or right, I tend to apply a "if you can't say something nice..." philosophy. If I don't like it, I tend not to score it at all unless it's so outstandingly offensive to the senses that it has to be destroyed.

I also try not to think in terms of just whether or not I personally would wear it. If the idea and execution are good, I'll score it accordingly even if it's not my personal tastes. For example, I'm personally bored with a lot of skulls in designs. However, if I see a really well done piece of skullery, I think "Well, if I was into skulls, that particular skull would probably give me a total skull-boner," and I score it high.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

This is a competition. Everyone else's low scores won't make yours higher, but only a certain amount of t-shirts will be printed, and a score is a factor in that.

Also, giving a bad design a bad score is not mean. It's honest. You don't think that design needs to be printed. By just skipping it, you just make your high scores less important.

Getting a low score on a design you put a lot of effort into stings, but this is a business, not kindergarten. Threadless sell shirts, not tell you you're a beautiful snowflake.

TheDesktopZombie

people who give low scores are low in self esteem...it's tragic.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Ballls, I edited part of my last sentence out, and now it's fucked up. I meant- "Threadless WANTS TO sell shirts, not tell you you're a beautiful snowflake."

TheDesktopZombie on Dec 04 '12 at 5:43pm people who give low scores are low in self esteem...it's tragic.

People who only give low scores (except to themselves) have low self esteem. People who give low scores to stuff they think shouldn't be printed understand how Threadless works.

FoodStampDavis

Also, giving a bad design a bad score is not mean. It's honest. You don't think that design needs to be printed. By just skipping it, you just make your high scores less important.

Good point. No argument here.

FoodStampDavis

I'm new around here (registered 4 years ago, but never paid any attention until recently), but one thing I'm not digging is the "Score me high and I will automatically score you high" thing going on ad nauseum in the forums. I know that there will always be that sort of politicking in any site/contest of this nature, but it just sucks people won't just score on a designs merits or even just on their personal tastes. And that's not a bitch on any scores I've gotten. I don't even know what scores I've gotten, but I'm under no rock star delusions.

WarDrobe... you're absolutely right, too, and I'm glad you said what you did. It does no service not scoring low a design you think deserves a low score and I should score thusly.

FoodStampDavis

I'm new around here (registered 4 years ago, but never paid any attention until recently), but one thing I'm not digging is the "Score me high and I will automatically score you high" thing going on ad nauseum in the forums. I know that there will always be that sort of politicking in any site/contest of this nature, but it just sucks people won't just score on a designs merits or even just on their personal tastes. And that's not a bitch on any scores I've gotten. I don't even know what scores I've gotten, but I'm under no rock star delusions.

WarDrobe... you're absolutely right, too, and I'm glad you said what you did. It does no service not scoring low a design you think deserves a low score and I should score thusly.

TheDesktopZombie

i offer fives for any score...with comments...it's nice for exposure and feedback, eventhough it's yet to really happen....

WarDrobeInSpareOom

There are, unfortunately, people who score things just because they want to make everyone else look bad (don't worry; Threadless is pretty good at spotting abuse like that). There are also people who have a huge internet following and are able to sway their scores to the higher end. For what it's worth, if I see a design I don't like but is drawn well, I give it at least a 3 or 4.

In the end, the score isn't the only thing that Threadless looks at.

davidhellard

I hope not, my next design will be seen as wrongly controversial by some and will receive a lot of zero votes 'out of principle' based on ill-founded logic, but I know a lot of people will find it very funny (and inoffensive in any way) - I only stand a chance of getting it made if threadless look for more than just an average score; here's to hoping

TheDesktopZombie

word to WarDrobeInSpareOom

well said...Ultimately it's not just scores that make a print.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Davidhellard- you do not have any chance of getting a Hitler reference printed on Threadless. None. Try T-shirt Hell.

AlanBao
AlanBao profile pic Alumni

Personally, I'm sick of the whole "at least you tried" sentiment. I think any self-respecting artist should expect to have their work treated honestly, rather than demand minced words and nicer feedback for the sake of their egos. Sometimes honesty hurts, but that's how you improve your craft. And at the end of the day, it's just a design - not exactly a life-changer by any means.

Demanding that other people be 'nice' because you 'put effort' into something is the kind of babying that should only be extended to kindergarteners and the severely depressed.

taz-pie

i agree. fuck everyone. 0's all round.

davidhellard

thanks wardrobein, although some of those are shocking

Michelsohel

I think the reason for low scores Emily is everybody has their own unique style, and when you see something that is not your style you score less, when you see something similar to your style or liking you score more.

bzyglowi

Here's how I generally score designs:

5 - awesome concept, good art/design quality, fits in with Threadless's style, I would buy this immediately 4 - solid art/concept, maybe not something I want to buy but something likely to appeal to many people 3 - good quality art but shaky concept or vice versa; generally a "this is decent but not amazing" vote 2 - poor quality art and/or no concept OR decent art but doesn't fit with the stuff the site usually sells 1 - terrible art, no concept, and/or wildly outside what Threadless generally sells. If I look at your shirt and think "are you familiar at ALL with the kind of shirts they sell here?" I tend to vote 1. Stuff that is really gory/smutty tends to get this as default from me. Threadless shirts tend to be clever visual puns, cool conceptual/atmospheric art, or otherwise family-friendly. If you're not falling within that range I'm not sure why you're submitting because you probably won't get it printed. There are a million t-shirt sites online though so it's not like you can't find another site that focuses on that kind of imagery.

I rate designs based on merit. I do tend to be picky about art quality, but I'll give good votes for a solid design, even if it's outside my personal taste/style. There are a lot of people who submit designs that obviously didn't think it out or who maybe just aren't that good at designing, and those people I do score low. That seems to be how the system is intended to work, regardless of what actually happens.

romo74

We got used to the finest things in life, I guess.

Wolfgang8885

Honestly, if you look at what a 1 means. It is an "UGH". A lot of the designs I see, give me just that feeling when i scroll past them. They are designs I would never wear, and designs I dont like. If there was a 5 for effort, you would see a lot of those. But it is the design that is being scored.

mark.kral

I don't design. I don't have friends on here that I vote for and I don't care to pay attention to who the designer is for any of the shirts I own. I try to remain unbiased when I judge shirt designs in that way. I see what the theme is, and if there's any chance I will consider buying a shirt in that category, I will judge designs. 1 is usually given to something highly generic or something that looks like a young child could have done better. 2 is for effort. 3 is for something I think could do well, but I would never buy. 4 is a shirt I would consider buying if I don't think it will land me in the doghouse with my wife. And 5 is doghouse be damned, this is going to be purchased anyhow when/if it gets printed. If rating something low upsets somebody, then they don't belong posting their designs online. The world is not all rainbows and unicorns.

Jeremiah Matthews
Jeremiah Matthews profile pic Alumni

I just read this entire thread and I loved every second of it. You guys are priceless.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

people score low because most of the stuff out there is total crap... it's almost impossible to have a high scoring average unless you're just 5'ing everything... but if you're being honest, about 80% of the designs on here deserve a zero... or in today's standards, deserve a one.

Love, Ryder

StrayTangent

I score on a similar scale. If the design doesn't catch my attention on the 1st look, I give it a 1 (used to be zeros before the site revamp).

mark.kral said:

I don't design. I don't have friends on here that I vote for and I don't care to pay attention to who the designer is for any of the shirts I own. I try to remain unbiased when I judge shirt designs in that way. I see what the theme is, and if there's any chance I will consider buying a shirt in that category, I will judge designs. 1 is usually given to something highly generic or something that looks like a young child could have done better. 2 is for effort. 3 is for something I think could do well, but I would never buy. 4 is a shirt I would consider buying if I don't think it will land me in the doghouse with my wife. And 5 is doghouse be damned, this is going to be purchased anyhow when/if it gets printed. If rating something low upsets somebody, then they don't belong posting their designs online. The world is not all rainbows and unicorns.

taz-pie

Ahahh I was so angryface.jpg !!!!

littlem

taz-pie's angryface.jpg is so hote!

taz-pie

HAHHAH!!! what a scary gif!!!

khavall

If I give something a 3 I think it deserves to be printed, but I may or may not wear it. If I score it a 2 its good but needs work, or not my style. If I score it a 1 than it is either something I've seen before, not well done, or not my cup of tea. If I hit 0 then I straight up think that it shouldn't even be considered to be printed.

khavall

Like if the design was a skull of any kind, it automatically gets at least a 1 point deduction from what I would normally score something of the same quality, often times 2 points. That's just because the content doesn't appeal to me. I hate seeing the endless barrage of skull designs, unless they're super well done, and that is 1 in 100 for me. I would never wear a skull t-shirt therefore I score it lower. I'm sure there are people out there that score anything to do with space lower too, cause it gets old.

jonathan43

The best way to vote would be similar the way sites like DesignByHumans where you just click on the design when you have the intention to buy or because you felt that is an awesome design! If, for some reason, you do not like the design, you do not click it!!

So you can mediate the amount of people who will actually buy that shirt. What's the point of giving grades 1 to 5 if the other people who are also competing gives low grades to increase their chance of winning? Not only envy, is unethical and ridiculous.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Cuz peoplz shit scores low, self-loathing ensues, "my shit don't stink" follows, then "my shit deserved better and it's everyone else's fault" reaches full maturity. It's kind of like the water cycle.

Mickey Zaza

Between that fat little girl scooting around and a bird being flipped.Im cracking up over here... Haters gonna hate but I dont score low unless the shirt makes me angry that i waisted my time to look closer at it..Try to keep it fair P.S. Did that bird get printed?

If you guys can do me a favor and check out my wifes 1st desighn .Tryna suprise were some nice comments.. http://beta.threadless.com/threadless/up-all-night/

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
Mantichore said:
BeanePod said:

Does her tiny mouth make her angry eyes look fat?

this comes from a nutrigrain ad. Makes me laugh everytime I see it.

Nutrigrain ad? That's make total fucking sense.....duh....I should've known. Goddamn Nutrigrain bars.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us