Close
One second...

SUPER-BUMMER! - Rejected Spiderman Sub - Collab by Me and Figzy8 :(

Now here is a couple of images of the submission that was rejected by marvel on the grounds of:

> Very cool, but not our characters - Marvel

Very disappointing for us, but we are re-submitting it to the regular threadless competition, so if and when you see it, please show it some love, we worked hard on it, and Joe is a super-awesome character illustrator, as you can see, it at least deserves to be seen and scored.

Anyway, here are a couple of images of it, the design, and a mockup of it. I will have this on a blog on my profile as well, and will update when it is up for scoring. Here it is:

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
tomburns

What a shame huh? This is probably the finest entry I have eve had the pleasure of working on, and Joe is one badass character illustrator. Very un-creative of Marvel to decline this submission in my opinion... Stinks of a DVD sales marketing scheme.

pyr4lis

that sucks.. it looks really amazing!

tomburns

i know!!!! Joe is the best illustrator I've ever personally known, and this is such a slap in the face of creativity it seems to me...

Thanks though, any kind of condolences help after such a brutal rejection of a hard-worked on design. And I only did the layout/color/texturing! Still, it sucks when you know you have a creative, innovative take on a contest like this, and some unforeseen, unlisted rule by marvel knocks it out of contention.

Marvel should smarten up and hire Joe to do a series on Feudal Spiday, son!!!

spacesick

that is rad

tomburns

Keep in mind:

Use your original artwork.

Characters outside of the Marvel universe are not allowed, but Spidey can do battle with any (or all) of the following villains: Dr. Octopus, Electro, Sandman, Venom, Lizard, Kraven, Green Goblin, Vulture, Rhino, and Shocker.

Spider-Man cannot be used on his own, but his archenemies may go solo.

Remember Spider-Man is a super HERO, so he always wins—and he does it without blood and guts.

You may not use actor likenesses or any logos in your design.

No political or adult content (sex, smoking, drinking, etc.) is allowed.

The characters cannot be represented as children or animals.

Designs should be inspired by the comic, not the movies. Designs with actor likenesses will not be approved.

There was no "On'y use spider-man as-is, no "takes" on the character in the rules, so I am still having trouble understanding why ours was rejected...

tomburns

spacesick, thansk!!! i know, Joe is the fucking character illustration master! such a shame, was the perfect design for this contest.. :(

pyr4lis

hehe yeah Disney declined a ton of amazing stuff from the evil villains contest because designers were a little too "creative" with the imagery. Stupid companies and their wanting artists to be creative but not allowing any modifications of the characters. :/ oh well.

Maybe you can tweak it a little bit to just be two samurai fighting or something and make it a regular contest submission?

nickv47

you could prob just sub it as a regular sub. but yeah, bummer.

tomburns

Disney declined a ton of amazing stuff from the evil villains contest because designers were a little too "creative" with the imagery. Stupid companies and their wanting artists to be creative but not allowing any modifications of the characters. :/

Yeah, that is super-duper lametastic. You'd think that a "design contest" would let the artist "be creative" sucks.

Yeah, we are gonna just sub it to the ongoing threadless contest, but it sucks, because it is a perfect fit for this contest, that's why we did it in the first place.

Manupix

I've been wondering for a while now why Tless thinks it's a good idea to do Disney's merchandising. Now Marvel.

Manupix

I'm afraid you can't even sub it to the regular contest, because copyright. That sucks big time.

tomburns

Well, we kinda have proof that it isn't copyright now, because of:

Very cool, but not our characters - Marvel

Their declination of the sub pretty much states straight up that these aren't their characters, so... seems like no copyright problems, right?

tomburns

why Tless thinks it's a good idea to do Disney's merchandising. Now Marvel.

THIS!.

But Disney owns Marvel, so it makes sense now, but I didn't realize people had the same issue with the disney contest. Really sucks, makes threadless not as cool of a place.

tomburns

I am just so disgusted about this. What a let down.

tomburns

Godammit, why even have this contest?? If they only let you draw spiderman like he is in the comics, why the hell not just buy one of THESE SHIRTS?

What happened to getting creative?? Is everything just about marketing now? What happened to the old threadless, where darth vader clipping a death star hedge was better than an officially licensed ©STARWARS design?

LAME

radiomode
1 design submitted - Score now!

Relax mr Burns. Here, take some chill pills

Figzy8
tomburns said:

i know!!!! Joe is the best illustrator I've ever personally known, and this is such a slap in the face of creativity it seems to me...

Thanks though, any kind of condolences help after such a brutal rejection of a hard-worked on design. And I only did the layout/color/texturing! Still, it sucks when you know you have a creative, innovative take on a contest like this, and some unforeseen, unlisted rule by marvel knocks it out of contention.

Marvel should smarten up and hire Joe to do a series on Feudal Spiday, son!!!

Thanks Tom really appreciate the support man, especially coming from someone as talented as yourself. I was looking at those same entries earlier and wondering the same thing. Oh well fuck it son, we will just have to wreck shit on our next collabo!

skever

After creating something that awesome and it being rejected I would be like this:

thom2maro

Damn good design Tom. I too feel your pain of having my submission declined, while others — no matter a difference in design aesthetics —are placed up for vote to the community at large. I'm tempted to resubmit my design as a general threadless design and not a challenge piece, maybe you gents can do the same.

tomburns

We're gonna try that for sure!

FRICKINAWESOME

At least we'll hopefully be able to get all the previously printed and then scrubbed from ever existing Star Wars designs back when Threadless has its Episode VII contest in a year or so when the movie is about to come out...another Disney franchise we won't be able to get too creative with!

tomburns

@frickinawesome yeah sad but true, I wish threadless would stipulate to these companies running "design challenges" that the focus should be on artists' creative designs, not viral marketing aimed directly at their demographic disguised as a "design challenge"

@ivejustquitsmoking thanks, hopefully joe ( figzy8 ) will keep submitting cool illos like this despite such a disheartening situation.

v.calahan

I love it, awesome piece! I agree about the fact it's among if not the most creative (non) entry of the challenge. None the less, Disney/(marvel) is reknown for having a stick up their ass, and it would take an army of super heroes to take it out... Count on my $ when in the regular contest. Cheers!

RicoMambo

You only needed to read the rules

Orbanya

Dang, that's a really great design. It's too bad it's not in the realm they are looking. There is A LOT of awesomeness there and I'd buy that in a second!

louisroskosch

looks awesome! i guess they want them kept on model.

soloyo-collabs

Too bad, I like your design a lot. No wonder so many of the designs in the running now look like they were just taken from a comic book page. There is no room for creativity.

tomburns

@RicoRambo We read the rules thoroughly, and I reposted them above in this thread. Nothing about not altering the costumes a bit to create a design, only a bit about no animals or babies... Doesn't matter, as long as it can be given a chance to be scored and commented on in the reg contest, Marvel's loss.

tomburns

@RicoRambo We read the rules thoroughly, and I reposted them above in this thread. Nothing about not altering the costumes a bit to create a design, only a bit about no animals or babies... Doesn't matter, as long as it can be given a chance to be scored and commented on in the reg contest, Marvel's loss.

RicoMambo

Tom, I could understand You, but Marvel have some strict rules. Nowhere in rules does it say that you canot draw 5 nipples on Spiderman's forehead, too... or 25 tits on his left arm. And nobody force us to draw for them:). Again, great work, and you can always sub it on regular comp here or elswhere...

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

looks awesome, Tom - but you know the most generic stuff wins these types of contests

tomburns

Thanks jeffreyg, but it was just a real bummer because the illustrator, my friend joe, this is his first foray into threadless and its a kinda crappy first impression of it, and for me, since I introduced him to it. Hopefully it goes into the regular competition without at more hang ups and that's fine by us

AlanBao

Tom - I feel for ya man, that's such a kick in the balls. The design is beautiful and deserved a whole lot more than that.

Manupix said:

I've been wondering for a while now why Tless thinks it's a good idea to do Disney's merchandising. Now Marvel.

Actually, doesn't Disney own Marvel? I'm pretty sure it does. It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

nicebleed

That's rad! I don't get the ideas too! I take a stylistic way of presenting my design just like the others in voting. But got rejected also. Here is the image.

tomburns

Nicebleed, that is a great looking spidey design, awesome textures to it! Only thing I can think is that it isn't supposed to be spiderman by himself, but I have seen a few up for voting that were basically only spiderman. :( Bummer X2!

goliath72

this is awesome

nicebleed

Thanks man! Actually the concept I made is a subtle Spiderman vs Sandman..but yeah I guess it's way too subtle to recognize that. Anyway, Yeah seen those designs also with same feel as mine. really feel bad! :(

Wharton
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Those are some super slick skills, I love the Japanese block print mash up. Great look.

goliath72

i would love to own this shirt! if threadless doesnt take it pretty sure that other sites would jump on it fo sho!

tomburns

Thanks a lot! We resubmitted it to the reg ongoing contest, so hopefully it could still have a possibility to get printed, I personally would rather not have to try it on a different site, so hopefully it at least gets a chance to get scored here. :)

chzdrac

wow this is a great design!

StevenLefcourt

the stylistic changes were probably less problematic (though still an issue) than the swords...their characters don't use swords (not those ones anyway), but great work none the less

tomburns

It would have been nice to have had "no stylistic changes" added into the rules. Though as I showed in the examples above, there are several stylized versions currently approved and being voted on. The swords are definitely a must in the samurai universe, so it wouldn't make sense not to have them, they are as much a part of the style we were after in the design as the armour and linework and color scheme. I just hope they let it go through the reg contest, would be a shame to deny it for one reason, then deny it again for the exact opposite reason.

littlem

wow! that's an awesome design. bummer. :/

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?