Close
One second...

Secret Santa Survey Supplement

First time poster here... :-O

I am very excited about putting together the package for my Secret Santa person (who is very cool and neat). I did have a few extra questions now that I've seen the survey (and that may help others out as well). Basically, I like the questions about people's favorite books, movies, games, etc., but then it's not clear whether the person already owns those things or not. So to clarify:

For each item below, can you name some examples of things that you'd like but that you don't own already (and that you don't plan to buy for yourself in the near future)?:
A. Books
B. Comics
C. Card/Board Games
D. Movies/TV Shows
E. Threadless Shirts

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
lemonalle

And I will respond myself, for good measure:

A. Italo Calvino -- The Nonexistent Knight or The Castle of Crossed Destinies Flann O'Brien -- The Dalkey Archives Nabokov -- Pale Fire Gunter Grass -- Cat and Mouse

B. I haven't read any of The Walking Dead, but I'd like to check it out.

C. I love games. I only own Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Dominoes, and Apples to Apples, so I'm open to anything else.

D. Sleeper, Hannah and Her Sisters, Stranger than Paradise, Adventure Time, The Wire

E. The Best Channels Since 1465, Veggies,

tragos

I don't really need or want any books, comics, movies, or shirts specifically, but if there's something you love that's interesting or offbeat, sure.

If it's a threadless shirt from the last two years, chances are I don't have it.

only games I own are Dominion & Carcassonne.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Books- I would love to have a copy of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz with the original illustrations. (By W. W. Denslow) Or any of the Oz sequels with the John R. Neill illustrations. Or The Light Fantastic, since I just finished the first Discworld book not too long ago.

Comics- No thanks.

Card/board games- I have Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, Star Wars Monopoly, Star Wars-themed Battleship (Yes, I like Star Wars), Uno, Sorry, Clue, Scrabble, chess/checkers, Rumicub, and several decks of cards. If there's something you feel I'd enjoy and am missing, have at.

Tv Shows/Movies- I don't watch DVDs much anymore, but I wouldn't turn down Community seasons 2 or 3. (I already have season 1.)

Threadless shirts- No thanks.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Also, if you happen to find Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers on NES, I could finally be able to kick Brian's ass at a game.

Chipmnk

Oh man, I actually remember that game.

And did anyone else play the board game Omega Virus?

Mountain Gnome

A. Books: The electric kool-aid acid test or The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby both byTom Wolfe

B. Comics: Asterix and Obelix (any one)

C. Card/Board Games: I own almost every Carcassonne extension, otherwise any other game

D. Movies/TV Shows: Not so fanatic, I own none

E. Threadless Shirts: not fussy at all...

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

a: Books - I'm currently way into cool and interesting children's books, since my little ten month old ADORES THEM (admittedly he tries to eat them every time I look away for a second but he does love leafing through the pages with his fat little finger and listening to me describe stuff on the page) so I'm making a library for him. We don't get many cool children's books here so whatever you pick is bound to go over well.

for me, I don't have any particular ones on my wish list but I'm more than open to receiving a book the person gifting me thinks is awesome and giving it a shot. I read pretty much every genre.

b: Comics - I love comics, especially weirder stuff. Again, if there's something you like and wanna share with me, odds are I'll love it.

c: I don't actually play any, but if you think I'm missing out, I'll give it a shot :)

d: I don't own anything. I haven't even watched most things. I'm open to most everything I guess, except for Desperate Housewives and Lost. (There's probably more stuff I'd hate if I only knew what it was about :)

e: Threadless Shirts: Any would be cool, I wouldn't even mind getting a double of one I already have.

jet approves

A. Books - I've been reading mostly on my Kindle but I really appreciate an actual book for things with nice photos or where functionality calls for it, such as with cook books. B. Comics - I don't read them but if there's something you really like and think I'd really like I'd check it out. C. Card/Board Games - I'd like to own Cards Against Humanity. D. Movies/TV Shows - I watch most things online/download E. Threadless Shirts - I'm trying to add more items to my wardrobe that aren't just t-shirts but I do like the other types of items Threadless sells or the different kinds of cuts.

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

A. Books - I've been wanting books on hand drawn typography.. I haven't bought any yet though. B. Comics - I don't own any but I enjoy the art of comics C. Card/Board Games - I like Guillotine and have it and have monopoly and Risk. I've personally been eyeing that third brc card deck ;) D. Movies/TV Shows - I have a bunch. I love Aaron Sorkin stuff and have all but the very last season of The West Wing. I would love to get old tv shows from when I was growing up like Darkwing Duck or Tailspin etc but would never buy them for myself. E. Threadless Shirts - I haven't bought any in awhile. I've been holding out for hoodies. And I've been eyeing selects but haven't bought any. I love that new tee with the laser gun but I won't let myself buy any more tees since it was commented to me that I dress like I'm still in college.

taz-pie

Books: i love books. i love weird stuff.

Comics: i am interested in graphic novels or manga, but dont own any

Card/Board Games: not such a fan i dont think. but maybe i havent played the cooler stuff yet. i fucking love pictionary

Movies/TV Shows i dont own any movies or shows. do want

Threadless Shirts: i have a problem. i am a threadless addict. i like the weirder stuff, not the cutesy stuff. not the political stuff. not white or pale coloured shirts. THAT'S RACIST.

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

A. Books - Nothing I can think of right now. I still have to read the first Discworld book that DeeAnn got me for my birthday. I've been in a lazy not-reading mood lately after finishing the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

B. Comics - There are lots of Batman comics I want to read, but I don't know if I feel the need to actually own them. I can probably find them at the liberry.

C. Card/Board Games - What DeeAnn said.

D. Movies/TV Shows - Naw. I watch stuff online now. I hardly ever watch DVDs anymore, except for DeeAnn's Simpsons seasons.

E. Threadless Shirts - Please no. I realized recently just how many shirts I have that I never wear. And I still have a bunch of GCs and STPs to use if there's ever a shirt I want again.

taz-pie

okay so it sounds like brian wants NOTHING.

tracerbullet

crap, it does sound like that, doesn't it :-/

i just feel bad having someone send me a book or comic that i'll probably only read once!

tracerbullet

deeann can attest that i'm very picky to get gifts for. my dad had to ask her what i wanted for my birthday because i kept telling him nothing. i have this weird thing where i don't like people buying me presents, and so people never know what to get me.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

tracerbullet on Nov 12 '12 at 8:21am deeann can attest that i'm very picky

Fixed it for you.

tracerbullet

shut your face

taz-pie

NO U

tracerbullet

i was talking to my lame girlfriend, yo

Manupix

Mountain Gnome on Nov 11 '12 at 1:58pm

B. Comics: Asterix and Obelix (any one)

I beg to differ. DO NOT buy anything from 1980 onwards, starting with The Great Divide (original French titles). Those were written after Goscinny's death by Uderzo who draws great but sucks big time at stories. The all-Uderzo albums are lame, and even his drawing gets vulgar in a subtle way. DON'T.

Also I'm just like Brian.

lemonalle

Thanks to those who have responded so far!

lemonalle

Thanks to those who have responded so far!

lemonalle

...comments disappearing...

lemonalle

graaaaaaah!

xnarx

Bump.

Not doing SS this year after so many years of doing it...

tragos

aw, we miss you, nar!

Mountain Gnome

Manupix: I definately agree with you, I did not actually realise that there were so many new ones. the ones I was referring to were indeed those pre 1980.

Mya Jamila

A. I'd love a coffee table book on pin-ups or lingerie. B. I shall think on this and get back to you. C. I own classic board games, mastermind, yatzhee, etc. and I have access to Ticket to Ride, Catan, Carcassone, and Blokus. Other than those, I am open to anything! Stuart's (Bramish's) blog on board game had some cool ones in it. D. I would love a copy of SyFy's Alice (from 2009). I've heard they cut out about five minutes of the show from the DVD though. :( Telly wise, I really enjoy Rookie Blue, and I don't own any of them yet. E. I've been waiting on Emotional Trip to come back out! http://www.threadless.com/product/204/Emotional_Trip/tab,girls/style,shirt

Mya Jamila

A. Books - I've been wanting books on hand drawn typography.. I haven't bought any yet though. You should ask Alex if he's ever used the one I sent him. If not, maybe he'll give it to you?

Goldendust

A. Books I love art books. I've always wanted the threadless book, but the shipping has always been so darned costly (which I realise is probably a factor so I'm not expecting anything here). Hand Job is another that springs to mind (lol), I'd also be keen on indie stuff like Stolen Sharpie Revolution or things like Faesthetic. If it has something to do with illustration I will love it, I promise.

B. Comics So I don't own any comics bar a couple of Card Captor Sakura manga. Anything from that list of cool indie comic chicks in my email would be really cool, but again, books can be hard to come by, heavy and expensive so I'm not expecting anything here.

C. Card/Board Games I've been meaning to buy one of the Black Rock Collective card decks for forever. I'll get around to owning one someday, no matter what.

D. Movies/TV Shows We watch most stuff online. I still haven't watched Firefly and I doubt I'll do so before Christmas, though...

E. Threadless Shirts

Tees in my shopping cart (that I probably won't ever get around to buying but would wear to death) : Bear Market, Judith + Holifernes, the new threadless tee, Zombie at Tiffany's, and Mr Mitten's Big Adventure.

I'm also seriously loving the new homeware range. And the daily calendar that's just been launched is pretty much the best thing ever.

I guess that's a list of things I like. I'm not expecting anything big, because I'm in Australia and my santa probably isn't and will have to spend a bunch on shipping. It's cool. I like little things like trinkets and stationery a lot.

Goldendust

Ughhh that list looks so long, I look so demanding :( I'm really not I promise!

jet approves

Oh good call on the BRC card decks.

Chipmnk

I will buy Kimby so many Cardcaptor manga.

vanillablue
vanillablue profile pic Staff

I would highly recommend including your favorite Threadless shirts/items especially since there are Threadless staff members participating.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

I hope Threadless comes out with different socks. I'm not really keen on the designs they picked so far.

tragos

good call, Sarah!

on that note, there aren't any shirts I'm aware of wanting but I like the non traditional hoodie/shirt things or home things. Lots of the dudes select line is awesome, but I'm not too keen on most of the girls line (except the piece by Julia but I've just ordered it)

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

A. Books I like books about Buddhism, and feel good books

B. Comics Big fan of Walking Dead and Brian K Vaughns series.

C. Card/Board Games No thanks

D. Movies/TV Shows Shows I actually keep up with are Breaking Bad and Walking Dead

E. Threadless Shirts I'll wear any Threadless shirt i think.. but I've been buying the new select stuff like cardigans and pullovers a lot more..

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Whoever gets Brian is not allowed to get him a t-shirt. We already have a box of his Threadless shirts with no place to put them.

If you get him shirts, I will FIND YOU.

tracerbullet

I AGREE WITH THIS IN CAPITAL LETTERS. PLEASE DO NOT GET ME SHIRTS.

taz-pie

Quick. Someone buy Brian ALL THE SHIRTS.

taz-pie

Can I just say I would fucking DIE OF HAPPINESS if I had a BRC deck? But they are too expensive for a gift. Not sure if want the guilt.

Goldendust

Yeah Taz, they are pricy, but they have got to be the most amazing thing ever. Maybe you'll get a secret Santa who is in the BRC and just has a stack of decks lying around? It could happen...

Manupix

We already have a box of his Threadless shirts with no place to put them.

Yes you do. You have a Brian.

taz-pie

ohmannn that would be so cool. Or the threadless book! I would fucking love the threadless book.

But seriously, santa... i will be so delighted with ANYTHING :)

trindli

A. Books: I'm reading "A time of gifts" from Patrick Leigh Feimor right now and will probably get other books by him (but not too soon). I love all kind of cook books, as long as they have pictures.. can't cook without pictures. There is a gazillion books I want to get, but only so little time to read them :(

B. Comics: I'm not that in to comics. I read the Spirou and Fantasio ones and several Asterixs and Obelixs and other french/belgium stuff. Don't really know other comics.

C. Card/Board Games: I think we own risk and taboo at my house, but that's it.

D. Movies/TV Shows: I mentioned in my questionnaire that we have a VHS player and tons of old movies. It's always good to get more old movies.

E. Threadless Shirts: I also think I have enough regular shirts, but I'd love to get more long sleeves or tank tops. Last three shirts I bought were Freddie Mercury, I love the 1880ies and the greatest spectacle.

lily1029

A. Books - Since I work in a bookstore and I read all the time it would be tricky to pin down something I want that I won't just buy myself. I do love books though and you can scope out my goodreads account to see what I have already read!

B. Comics - I haven't read too many comics. I have read this adorable series called Chi's Sweet Life which I loved. I have seen some cute things relating to the books that would be fun.

C. Card/Board Games - I LOVE games! My favorites that we have are Apples to Apples and Tribond. There are some fun twists on the apples games that I don't have. I would also be into to games relating to other things I love like cats or harry potter, etc. Since people are discussing the BRC cards I will say that thanks to last years lovely secret santa I already have the first set!! :) Thanks Nikolina!!

D. Movies/TV Shows - Movies in my wishlist right now are A Cat in Paris and Hunger Games. Tv shoes are the Firm and Grimm.

E. Threadless Shirts - I have a bunch of stuff in my basket right now that I like but haven't pulled the trigger on yet. I'm definitely coveting the new items like the socks and blankets. Also, I love anything open neck and/or cats! I haven't made a purchase in a while so anything in the past several months in most likely safe.

PS. I don't expect any of these things, I'm just answering to help give you an idea of what is on my mind lately!! :D

littlem

i just want bangbangbang!

Mya Jamila

You work in a bookstore too Suzy/Lily?! YAY!

lily1029

You work in a bookstore Mya?? I didn't remember that! Are you at a chain or an independent?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us